Photographing the Difference - Final Picture Group - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Photographing the Difference - Final Picture Group

This is my third and final post about before & after pictures. This could be considered 'during and after' pictures because a lot of them are half way towards completion but… you get the idea. I have a few different projects here, not just cabinetry. And for those who want to discuss the relative merits of lighting, etc., I'd like you to know, I wasn't trying to shoot a spread for Architectural Digest … I was simply trying to show how our woodwork can improve the places we live & work in. It's hard enough to find the time to go back a month later to photograph some work after it's painted, much less be able to spend three hours lighting & dressing 'the set' Hell, I'm even showing some that were shot & sent to us by the client.
Anyway…
These first two pics show a section of the front of my house before & after painting. The white on white had become grungy looking (not to mention boring) so we went with a beige and did all the trim in a dark green. Turned out making the place look SO much better. A decent paint job alone improves the looks of a job.

Here we made a custom vanity for a very skinny bathroom that had to incorporate their sink, enclose a cast iron radiator & provide some open shelves. The way we had to make these cabinets in order to 1) be small enough to come up a tiny, turn of the century stairwell 2) fit around all the plumbing and 3) leave access to all the valves... was such a pain in the rump... but the client & interior decorator were very pleased when all was finished.

I really should go back & try for a better shot of this arbor. The final shot was taken at night with pool lights… hence the grainy look. Although difficult to explain here, the placement off this arbor in the backyard's corner required me to give up a basic rectangle with the opening on one of it's sides (which would have made it's construction simple). We needed a rectangle open at one of it's corners. The pair of rafters running up the center are fastened to a pair of rafters running parallel to the pool house's face though attached from underneath. Not your typical arbor construction.
We created the panels at the bottom of the posts using that man-made, sheathing material (Azec?) which is far superior for exterior facing (moldings, detailing, etc) but can't be used for structural purposes.

The next two are of my own foyer where I removed a cast iron railing and found a salvaged, old Victorian banister made from solid walnut (well over 100 years old) that I got at a 10 acre flea market / I had to do some retro fitting & make two additional newels for the upper landings. All those spindles were dovetailed into the tread's ends. I learned a bunch doing this renovation

Lastly is a wainscot and coffer-ed ceiling adornment we did for a client's rather formal dining room. We created all the walnut panel, coffers, installed the trim and had our finisher come in and stain it all to this very dark value. A louvered vent was fabricated (of walnut) in one of the corners to handle the home's central air.
A large dinner party was thrown two weeks thereafter and the owners expressed their pride to me… which in turn, made me proud.

My sons and I did fairly meticulous work in this good sized home (calling it a mansion wouldn't be much of a stretch) and there isn't a single seam to be seen where all these pieces of solid walnut join one another. We love being commissioned to do high-end work, ... projects that allow us to show what we can do.

And I'm glad we have the pictures to prove it.

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato

Last edited by Russell Hudson; 01-12-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: touch up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
man they all look nice ... but that living room is poppin! what was the $$ for livingroom and how much time did it take,
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVY View Post
man they all look nice ... but that living room is poppin! what was the $$ for livingroom and how much time did it take,
thx / around 20, if I recall / about a month (?) with my two sons

The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Hudson For This Useful Post:
GROOVY (01-13-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Is the opening picture the same house where the dinning room and staircase are shown.

That house in the opening picture does not look to be two story.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Is the opening picture the same house where the dinning room and staircase are shown.

That house in the opening picture does not look to be two story.

George
it's actually three story, George / land drops down towards the rear of the building to expose the basement level & the dormer can be seen from the rear / the staircase is in my home... the other shots are of client's homes

post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful work! I love the stairs banister, the vanity-looking cabinet and that amazing room. You've got some real winners there!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
That all looks good,, the outdoor area has a similar profile to one that I did some years ago only my beams sat flush top and bottom

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art

Tags
before and after pictures, home improvement pictures, pictures of woodwork, woodwork photographs, woodworking pictures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode