Phillips head bit has disappeared from the universe? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By TASK
  • 3 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

View TASK's Photo Album My Photos
Phillips head bit has disappeared from the universe?

Sorry if this is wrong sub-forum to post on...

Years ago I remember buying these phillips head bits that were perfect for sheet rock screws and similar sized phillips screws, and really smaller sizes as well. Never stripped out, super tight fit, no wobbling even. It fit really good down in the screw head, so much so that it would hold the screw on its own without magnetics (like a T25 might) and you could work one handed with your drill. It was awesome. I couldn't understand why anyone would buy anything but these bits - they outperformed everything. We had them all over the cabinet shop and I guess I took them for granted.

They are not complicated at all. Slightly smaller, maybe, than a standard number 2, but the key was the wings of the bit were rounded. Not kind of roundish either, I mean rounded. Often they were ribbed too. But the key was the head was slightly smaller so it bottoms in the screw head, but rounded so that the wings grip down deep as well as toward the top. It's really simple actually.

They seem to have disappeared from the universe. I have scrolled for almost an hour now on google looking at various phillips bit heads and it's not there. I can't find them at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware...and I get strange looks from anyone I ask. I don't get it. I didn't dream this. I used these bits for years. Never bought anything but.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what happened to these perfect phillips head bits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have any recollection of the brand you had?
post #3 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
Do you have any recollection of the brand you had?
I want to say Dewalt, but I can't be for sure on that.
Jim Frye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 03:25 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
The screw manufacturers are in cahoots to ruin your day.. I remember them as well, but darned if I know where to find them..I use the red tipped Milwaukee brand bits now and they seem to do ok..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TASK View Post
I have a box of those I bought a few years ago. They do work quite well.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 03:57 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Were they like these?
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's the modern age. If something works someone is going to redesign it to where it doesn't.
Gary Beasley, Kerrys and Jim Frye like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 06:29 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TASK View Post
I bought an assortment of Porter Cable bits and it has the kind you are looking for, at first I hated the way it would stick in the screw but then noticed I wasn't stripping any screws and learned to like them for just that

I am sure PC doesn't make them but if you can find the PC branded bits they might be the same

There is no app for experience
post #9 of 16 Old 01-28-2018, 07:50 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
The DeWalt service center near me has the phillips bits like you describe. Gobs and gobs of them, the last time I was in there.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #10 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 07:19 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Readily available in UK. I have selection of bits but generally Pozidrive has replaced Phillips. never use a slot head. had too many scores where driver slipped out.

johnep
post #11 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 01:55 PM

View Dodis's Photo Album My Photos
I have a partial pack of these buried somewhere in my shop, if I can ever find them... Vermont American made the ones I have, and they work great!

I also have a "tic-tac" box of bits by Bosch, need to find them too, I think they are like that as well.

And I keep meaning to look for more and stock up. I still have too many boxes of screws with phillips heads to go totally torx/square drive...

Mike
Texas Gulf Coast
Weekend Wood Wrecker...
post #12 of 16 Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
TASK,
The bits you refer to are R2 philips heads. (reduced #2) You are correct in that they fit better than regular #2 and strip a whole lot less. I use them all the time for the philips heads I encounter. But I do prefer torx head screws. The local True Value sells them here, you ought to be able to locate them. And they were made by either Dewalt or Bosch, I don't remember. I bought a box but discarded the box.

Last edited by mmwood_1; 01-29-2018 at 09:18 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Were they like these?
Very close, but not quite.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
TASK,
The bits you refer to are R2 philips heads. (reduced #2) You are correct in that they fit better than regular #2 and strip a whole lot less. I use them all the time for the philips heads I encounter. But I do prefer torx head screws. The local True Value sells them here, you ought to be able to locate them. And they were made by either Dewalt or Bosch, I don't remember. I bought a box but discarded the box.
Well, googling "R2 phillips head" and scrolling through images doesn't show the kind I'm remembering.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Since I posted this thread I have continued to search and found what I believe is the bit (although if you look carefully it still has a resemblance of straight line near the tip, hard to tell). Still seems strange it's taken all this effort to find when I used to pick them up at any ole home improvement store without a thought.

I'm going to order a few of these and if it's the one I'm going buy a hundred of them, and that should last until I'm dead.

https://omegatec.com/d1327xxri-zephy...iABEgJQSvD_BwE
post #16 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 01:44 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I dislike phillips and slot headed screws intently. I strip them often (even when I use those "tight" phillips bits). On rare occasions, the head breaks off the rest of the screw.

My problem is that I want the screws to be snug, so my predrilled holes are too small. I am also afraid of the possibility of having an oversize hole that won't hold the screw.

I recently bought a PowerTEC 17000 workbench caster set. It came with 8 screws that look very heavy duty. Of the 8 screws, I stripped one and broke the head off another.

(Off topic: I called PowerTEC, who informed me that they do not have replacement parts from their supplier, and they weren't going to open a kit just to send me two screws. I used other screws, and the casters work.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode