Paging GeorgeC - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Paging GeorgeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I have just finished making 8 raised panels for a current project.

I much prefer using biscuits. It not only assists in making a stronger joint, which though good may not be necessary, but it also assists in getting the pieces lined up properly and not slipping as they are clamped. This was especially helpful in the days before I had a planner to make all pieces of wood the same thickness.

Sometimes I like to use mulpiple small strips for the glue up. Just like the look. Hard to keep these properly level without the biscuits. Do not have to use any large biscuits, number 3 will do nicely.

G
You mentioned a number 3 biscuit in another post. I'm not familiar with that size and I asked two other times for you to help me out. What are they?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
You mentioned a number 3 biscuit in another post. I'm not familiar with that size and I asked two other times for you to help me out. What are they?

I am very, very sorry. I missed your question. I sincerely apologize.

I know sears sells the size 3 because I just bought a package. However, I cannot find them online at Sears.

This is really sort of intriguing. I am trying to research size 3 biscuits on the internet and can only find reference to #0, #10 and #20.

If I had not of just bought these size 3 at Sears I would begin to think I was imagining this whole thing.

I have two biscuit cutters. One that cuts has adjustments for sizes #0, #10 and #20. I have another cutter that has adjustments for sizes #1, #2, and #3.

At this point I am stumped. Is the #'s 1, 2, and 3 size biscuits something that has been discontinued? Should I go down to sears and buy their supply so that I can have these in the future? I like this size and I like my small biscuit cutter.

Anybody? Have any idea of what is going on?

George
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 AM

View snowi's Photo Album My Photos
I have noticed that Canadian tire, has smaller biscuits, that are used for a dremel tool .. thats what it says on the little plastic jar that they come in.. I know that they will not work with my biscuit joiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM

I just checked to see if Sears still sells the "mini" biscuit cutter that I have. They do.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917550000P

Maybe Craftsman is the only tool company to have this size.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I am very, very sorry. I missed your question. I sincerely apologize.

I know sears sells the size 3 because I just bought a package. However, I cannot find them online at Sears.

This is really sort of intriguing. I am trying to research size 3 biscuits on the internet and can only find reference to #0, #10 and #20.

If I had not of just bought these size 3 at Sears I would begin to think I was imagining this whole thing.

I have two biscuit cutters. One that cuts has adjustments for sizes #0, #10 and #20. I have another cutter that has adjustments for sizes #1, #2, and #3.

At this point I am stumped. Is the #'s 1, 2, and 3 size biscuits something that has been discontinued? Should I go down to sears and buy their supply so that I can have these in the future? I like this size and I like my small biscuit cutter.

Anybody? Have any idea of what is going on?

George

I checked on the Sears site and they show THESE BISCUITS. They call them "mini biscuits", maybe for a "mini joiner", or a "mini cutter blade". I can see a #2 and a #3, the #1 is not really visible, but I'm guessing it's a #1. These were news to me even though I don't use biscuits that often. But they also show that they sell the 0, 10, and 20.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 12:12 PM

That is it. I missed those.

George
post #7 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry,
I was sleeping at the gate on this one too. Sometimes model numbers or size numbers don't register with me. The mini biscuit joiner in the picture above is made by Ryobi for sears. I have the ryobi version which from what I am told is no longer available under the ryobi name, but still is available at sears under the craftsmen logo. I was at the national hardware show in Chicago years ago when ryobi first introduced this tool . They had three wooden barrels, each one full of the particular size mini biscuits, could have had all I could carry. At the time I thought what the hell would I ever do with that thing? I ended up buying one a few years later. They come in handy for small projects involving small moldings and the like. The biscuits come in little plastic prescription size bottles. 100 biscuits used to be around 7-8.00. A lot of money for the small amount of wood chips glued together. I was in HD one day when they discontinued the ryobis and they were selling the jars of biscuits for 1.00 each. I bought all eight bottles, which is kind of a lifetime supply for those. It is a fun tool to use. Being it is so small, you can hold the piece of wood in one hand and the joiner in the other and let her rip.
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 AM

Mike the biscuits no longer come in a plastic bottle. They are now is a plastic bag that cost between 5 and 7 dollars.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode