Outfeed table double as router table? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

View deadherring's Photo Album My Photos
Outfeed table double as router table?

Hello,

I have a good sized table saw outfeed table--31" wide x 46" long. I have limited space in my shop and so was thinking about using it for double duty as a router table. Is there any reason why this wouldnt work?

What would be the best material (3/4" thick preferably since the height already matches my saw) to use as the top? Is ply ok? And finally, does anyone have 1. any good tips/video for how to cut out the insert? I'm a little nervous about doing that since I know it's got to be sized right and 2. good tips on either building a fence or suggestion on which one to buy (if thats possible).

Thanks in advance!

Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
No Longer Here

View 27207's Photo Album My Photos
It will work fine for a router table. I used melamine for mine, people use mdf or plywood also. You just want it dead flat, then put a veneer on it for more durability. you can rough cut the opening with a jig saw, then use a template with a flush trim bit to clean it up. Rockler sells a template for their inserts that worked great for me. And there's a couple types of levelers. I used rocklers kit which screws up from the bottom so I left a shoulder under my template. Kreg has a kit that screws to the bottom so you can cut all the way through the top, no shoulder needed.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
This is what I use for a router table. The table saw itself it obsolete so I used it for a catch table for a planer and a router table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video 8 0 00 00-01 (2).jpg
Views:	1947
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	43401  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems26 View Post
It will work fine for a router table. I used melamine for mine, people use mdf or plywood also. You just want it dead flat, then put a veneer on it for more durability. you can rough cut the opening with a jig saw, then use a template with a flush trim bit to clean it up. Rockler sells a template for their inserts that worked great for me. And there's a couple types of levelers. I used rocklers kit which screws up from the bottom so I left a shoulder under my template. Kreg has a kit that screws to the bottom so you can cut all the way through the top, no shoulder needed.
+1. An outfeed table can work well, and so can your right side extension table if you have one. With that you can use your TS fence. If it's the outfeed table (behind the saw), you don't want a fence assembly that has to be disassembled to use the saw.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
I've got it on my Unisaw and it works fine. I used 14" lexan to see through to the router itself. Go thick enough or it will flex.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM
No Longer Here

View 27207's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems26
I used rocklers kit which screws up from the bottom so I left a shoulder under my template.
I meant under my router insert, not under my template, sorry for any confusion.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies. So I'm going to plan to use the outfeed table. Any advice on the fence? Should I make one myself? Any good plans or links to a good one to purchase?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
One option is to make a benchtop router table. The current issue of Wood magazine has plans for a basic one made out of 1 sheet of 3/4" ply. I actually finished making it yesterday.

Here's a crappy cell phone photo of it on the floor after routing some walnut. I still gotta do the drawers to hold the collet wrenches, bits, and extra collet, but that will happen after I finish my jewelry box that I'm making.

It's sturdy by itself, and there's feet on the bottom of the legs that can be clamped down onto a bench with. You can then store it somewhere out of the way when you're done.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadherring View Post
Thanks all for the replies. So I'm going to plan to use the outfeed table. Any advice on the fence? Should I make one myself? Any good plans or links to a good one to purchase?
The router table I use in post 3, I mostly use to run dado's and just use the saw fence. If I were to use it like most use a router table I would make a fence like what I use on my shaper. It just clamps to the top of the shaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video 10 0 00 00-01.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	43502  

post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
The router table I use in post 3, I mostly use to run dado's and just use the saw fence. If I were to use it like most use a router table I would make a fence like what I use on my shaper. It just clamps to the top of the shaper.
Any more info on the fence such as dimensions photos etc. looks like something I might make

Thanks
post #11 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 AM

Well the top on my table saw/router box is 27" across so I would make the fence that long. Then in the first picture which is a view from the back side, there is a place 3" wide on each end where the thickness is only the 3/4" plywood to allow to clamp to the saw table. The second picture is the fence shown upside down. The face of the fence 5 1/2" tall but it was made for a shaper which has larger blades and a lot more shavings. For a router box I would make the top a lot lower so the face of it would extend up above it a couple of inches. That way you could make a finger brush and have a place to clamp it to the face. The shaper that this fence is made for has a mechanical hold down so I didn't need a finger brush for it.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode