7Likes
  • 2 Post By silvertonebetty
  • 3 Post By pro70z28
  • 1 Post By sweensdv
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou

post #1 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Out of date glue.

There is a hardware store near me and I knew they had some Tite Bond hide glue. I found that the glue was dated 2016 so that is 2 years out of date. I showed to the guy that does the ordering and he said it came in from the warehouse that way and I believe him trust me. So that got me to wondering about the other glue. I lot of the codes on the glue you can't read because it's a secret. Is this something your worried about or do you have a special place you buy glue from?

All I want is to buy fresh glue and not have to throw it out.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 06:56 AM

View silvertonebetty's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
There is a hardware store near me and I knew they had some Tite Bond hide glue. I found that the glue was dated 2016 so that is 2 years out of date. I showed to the guy that does the ordering and he said it came in from the warehouse that way and I believe him trust me. So that got me to wondering about the other glue. I lot of the codes on the glue you can't read because it's a secret. Is this something your worried about or do you have a special place you buy glue from?

All I want is to buy fresh glue and not have to throw it out.

All that means is you can no longer eat it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hawkeye10 and Catpower like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A lot depends on how the glue was stored if it is still good or not but they don't have an expiration date for nothing. I wouldn't use it. It may have sat most of it's life in a hot warehouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
A lot depends on how the glue was stored if it is still good or not but they don't have an expiration date for nothing. I wouldn't use it. It may have sat most of it's life in a hot warehouse.
So Steve where do you buy glue that you think is fresh?

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
So Steve where do you buy glue that you think is fresh?
Anyplace that sells a volume of materials would be better. A little hardware store or lumber company is likely to have things like glue and caulk sit on the shelf for a year or more before they get a fresh order. I usually shop at a small lumber company like that which has a box store next door. I buy building materials from them but I've found that chemical products are usually old. Even things like masking tape you can tell is old. I go to the box stores for chemical products. If nothing else you might use walmart. They might not sell so much of these type products but the store is climate controlled and these products don't spend much time in a warehouse. They have enough stores to keep up their inventory they are more likely to get a fresh order from the factory. My little lumber company I think only has 20 stores.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Our literature states the shelf life of all of our glues as one year. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue includes an expiration date on the bottle, because it can progressively lose its ability to dry hard, and this change is not visually obvious. Titebond Polyurethane Glue has a one year shelf life in an unopened container, but is useable as long as the glue remains fluid. Polyurethanes, however, are designed to react when exposed to moisture and can sometimes begin to cure after the bottle has been opened, and solidify. Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one year, when stored appropriately at room temperature. Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firml

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Q For This Useful Post:
hawkeye10 (05-06-2018)
post #7 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 09:25 AM

View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
I almost always buy glue in smaller bottles. Not so much for the age of the glue (although it sounds like that should be a consideration) but because the bottle gets nasty with dried glue on the outside of the tip (which can usually be pealed off, but also gumming up the tip inside). I don't spend a lot of time messing around with keeping the tip pristine after every use. Easier to buy small bottles and pitch them more often.
sweensdv, Stevedore and hawkeye10 like this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
I almost always buy glue in smaller bottles. Not so much for the age of the glue (although it sounds like that should be a consideration) but because the bottle gets nasty with dried glue on the outside of the tip (which can usually be pealed off, but also gumming up the tip inside). I don't spend a lot of time messing around with keeping the tip pristine after every use. Easier to buy small bottles and pitch them more often.
I buy dental picks on Ebay to clean glue tips out. I also use dental picks for a lot of other things. They are cheap and come in handy.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Glue is so cheap that taking the risk of using bad glue just isn't worth it considering what the main purpose of glue is used for.
IowaDave likes this.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never even looked for an expiration date on a glue bottle. When it gets too thick I do not use it.

George
post #11 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The Big Box stores turn their inventories faster than a ma and pa store.
For things where shelf life is important, this is something to keep in mind.
For everything else, I like to buy from independents when I can.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 19 Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 PM

View silvertonebetty's Photo Album My Photos
To be honest with my personal experience working at a grocery store I personally wouldnít touch anything with a fancy code. There was product with one of those code and the customer returned it because it was mouldy and smelly . Iíve never saw anything so nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 19 Old 05-07-2018, 12:32 PM

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, I spoke with a serious woodworker a few years ago that told me that he would purpose to buy his wood glue during certain times of the year only...so as to avoid the possibility that if it was a fresh batch that was shipped in the winter time it might have sat on a dock, inside a semi and/or in a cold warehouse during a time of the year when it could be exposed to freezing temps. He took the expiration, and exposure to cold temps, very seriously.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-07-2018, 04:16 PM

View JamesTinKS's Photo Album My Photos
If it is Titebond.

How Do I Read The Lot Numbers?
Our current lot numbering system is a 10 digit code. The format is: aymmddbat#. The "a" stands for Made in the U.S.A. The "y" is the last digit of the year of manufacture. Digits "mm" represent the month, and "dd" represent the day of the month. The final four digits represent the batch number used for quality control purposes. Therefore, a product with the lot number A104270023 was manufactured on April 27, 2011.

http://www.titebond.com/frequently_asked_questions.aspx

JamesTinKS
I am a professional amateur woodworker.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
When I was running my own company I took about a 20 year hiatus from wood working, it wasn't Titebond hide glue, but I had an unopened gallon of Titebond I it worked as good as fresh glue and I am pretty sure it was frozen a time or two, but it might not have been frozen solid, but it was like new

Knowing how some companies like to have customers rotate the stock for them they might have added some inert ingredient to cause the glue to give it a set shelf life, if it goes bad in 2 years instead of 20 they will sell more glue

Kind of like some things have built in obsolesance, it is going to crap out right after the warranty is up LOL

There is no app for experience
post #16 of 19 Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaDave View Post
FWIW, I spoke with a serious woodworker a few years ago that told me that he would purpose to buy his wood glue during certain times of the year only...so as to avoid the possibility that if it was a fresh batch that was shipped in the winter time it might have sat on a dock, inside a semi and/or in a cold warehouse during a time of the year when it could be exposed to freezing temps. He took the expiration, and exposure to cold temps, very seriously.
A lot of people take very picayune issues as a major problem. Does not mean anybody else has to.

George
i
post #17 of 19 Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I acquired a gallon bottle of Tite Bond when living in Delaware, Ohio. It was stored and used in an unheated garage. The Tite Bond was frozen at least once. I moved to Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. The glue moved with me. The glue was used and stored in an almost heated garage. I moved to Huntington Beach, California and the glue followed. In this garage the glue did not have a chance of freezing.

The first year we rented the house and I did no woodworking as there wasn't enough electricity in the garage. After one year I did buy the house and in another 6 months or so I got power for my RAS so I could start woodworking again.

About a decade from purchase date the gallon was used up so I bought a new gallon bottle of Tite Bond. That first bottle of Tite Bond worked exceptionally well to the last drop. Yes, it had thickened a bit by the end but it still worked well.

I'm sure that the people at Franklin cringe when reading this but it is the way it was.
hawkeye10 likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #18 of 19 Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Has any of you went to fill a bottle of glue from a gallon bottle of glue and had to stop because it had a long stringy clump in the glue which you had to dispose of. This is the affect freezing has on PVA glue. This is really the only problem with having glue freeze.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I buy smallish bottles of Titebond III. They are still the flat shape, but one size larger than the smallest bottle. When they get around two years old they have 1/3 or less and start getting thick. That's when I throw the old bottle away and buy a new one.

I use Titebond III because:

* It makes effective strong joints.
* It is food safe.
* It is waterproof when fully cured.
* It gives a slightly longer working time than Titebond I or II.

One drawback is that Titebond III dries with a yellow/amber tint to it. The other versions dry more clear. That's okay for me, but others may object.

Compared with the cost of tools and wood, glue doesn't cost enough that I can't afford to keep reasonably fresh glue on hand. My woodworking activities have increased a lot, so I may start buying larger quantities of Titebond III or experiment with other glues. Either way, I don't like it when the glue is thick and difficult to get out of the bottle. Old glue holds well enough once I get it out of the bottle and spread appropriately, but I suspect that it is a much weaker bond than fresh glue. It is strong enough to hold for everything I have done so far, but I have more advanced projects in mind that would benefit from the strongest glue, so I will stay with the fresh stuff.

Thanks to @JamesTinKS for posting the Titebond date code info. It is very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode