oscillating sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

View Sarge's Photo Album My Photos
oscillating sander

Hi to all, I wanted to know if anyone has the sears oscillating sander model 21500 and if you do what do you think of it. If you can believe this my wife won $200 on a lottery ticket and she gave it to me in a card and said to get a new tool if I wanted and I seen that this sander is on sale now for $179. Of course I see a dozen roses in her future as my dad didn't raise a idiot. Thanks for any help, Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 AM

View gtobeech's Photo Album My Photos
Sarge, you might want to look at the RIDGID at Home Depot. It has a belt attachment too. I got one last fall and it is really good. It goes for $199.00.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 AM

View JackC's Photo Album My Photos
GTObeech is right, that Ridgid sander is the cat's meow. Couple of friends have them and I'm envious. I have the floor model Jet OSS and I'm seriously considering selling it and getting the Ridgid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Sarge

I have the Rigid oscilating belt/spindle sander and it is awesome for a small machine. Check it out. It is far more versatile than a straight spindle sander.

Gerry
post #5 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I agree the Ridgid with the belt sander is a nice extra. Has anyone had any problems with this model? I guess when you look at it $20 difference isn't much to get the extra attachment. Sarge
post #6 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Check out the link here. It was talked about in the Tool Review section of this Forum. You will be satisfied with it Sarge.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4184
post #7 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Hi Sarge
So far I have had no problems. I have been using it for about a year and a half. I mostly use the belt sander, but having the spindles for curved work is a big plus. With regard to dust collection I found placing a nozzle directly beside the out feed side of the belt was more effective than hooking the 2-1/2 inch hose from my shop vac directly to the dust port on the sander.
For the few dollars difference I would definitely recommend this sander instead of a spindle sander.
Just as a side note, about six months ago Canadian Tire was selling their Mastercraft spindle sander for $99, so I picked one up. I believe Ryobi builds theirs for them. It is also a nice little machine, but I use the Rigid much more frequently.
Gerry
post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Well after much thought and checking out the link that gtobeech gave me I went out and bought the Ridgid sander. I got home with it late night yesterday and put it together right away. I have to say I'm glad that I went with this model. I sanded a couple of curved pieces and it performed great. I know that the belt sander will get a ton of work. Now if I can get all of my motorcycle work caught up I can get back to cutting some wood. I want to say a big thanks to all who helped with advice and their experience. Take care, Sarge
post #9 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Good choice Srage. Even if you only use the belt sander option once in awhile I think you'll be glad to have when you need it. In the mean time you have a really nifty little spindle sander.

Gerry
post #10 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 PM

You are welcome Sarge. That is why this forum so good. Great place to get information and everyone tries to help and not ridicule you like some other sites. Have fun with your new tool.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

You are right gtobeech. I looked at other sites but like you said most of them want to talk down to you or feel that everyone should know as much as them. I have nothing but good things to say about everyone here that have helped me. Sarge
post #12 of 14 Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM

View Eldood's Photo Album My Photos
2 Inch Dust Port in Jet JBOS-5 Spindle Sander

I have a new jet Osc. Spindle Sander and it has a strange 2" dust port on it. None of my shop fittings will fit the 2 inch dust port and I can't seen to find a hose or hose fitting from jet to fit it. Right now I've rigged up a hose with duct tape but it's pretty hokey!

Has anyone figured this out and found a fitting to fit this sander?
post #13 of 14 Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM

View Colt W. Knight's Photo Album My Photos
Rigid Oscillating spindle/belt sander is the bees knees. We all buy it because we want a spindle sander, and after using the Rigid for a while, you figure out, that you'll use the belt as often or more than the spindles.

Amazing little machine. One of these days, I want to buy one of those big daddy oscillating belt sanders from Grizzly.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! After two years an old post comes back to life.

I am going to get one of these ridgid sanders in the next couple of weeks. From everything I have read about it, it is a real sweet machine and still $199.

Red

Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode