oscillating sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

View jeff3285's Photo Album My Photos
oscillating sander

I have been looking to get a benchtop oscillating sander,,i really like the ridged eb4424 but the reviews are really bad,,,they have 80 one star reviews,,although they also have a lot of positive reviews,,and 80 seems like a lot to me,,i was also looking at the grizzly t27412,,and it is about 30.00 dollars cheaper even if you include the freight,,,,can anyone tell me what they think about either one,,,and which one you would prefer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 10:09 AM

View yomanbill's Photo Album My Photos
First, be very careful about reading and depending on reviews. It would be real nice and helpful if you could depend on them, but I fear that they are not all honest and/or legitimate. There are lots of them out there on most any product. If you search them out, you will frequently find that many are using the same words and phrases. Place what ever meaning you like on that. Also, if you read carefully, you can sense that the reviewer either hasn't read the product instructions or just doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Also, one sentence reviews like "it is great" or "it is horrible, don't buy" doesn't help much. In the end, if I'm going to pay any attention to reviews, I will generally throw out the lowest and highest unless there are some that are intelligently and objectively written. I usually just look at the percentages, not the actual numbers of reviews. I will usually pay more attention if the total of the #1 and #2 are in the 80-90% range.

As you are doing now, you will likely find more useful information at the various woodworking forums and blogs. I think you will find that the eb4424 and other similar products are pretty well regarded without any stand-outs one way or another.

Last edited by yomanbill; 09-12-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Iíve had the Ridgid for 5 years or so, & used it many times. No complaints at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 10:46 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I'd buy it new if it wasn't for the belt sander. But I'm still looking for a use one...

I'm not a ridgid buying person, but I hear it's a nice unit for the price..
post #5 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 11:59 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quite a few are the same!

The Central Machinery from Harbor Freight:

The Grizzly:

The Wen from Amazon:

From Menards, where I got mine at $90.00 on sale:

It works just fine and H-F sell the sanding sleeves. They are probably all made by the same vendor in Asia.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Ridgid sander. The first one quit working after a week. I took it back and traded it for another. That's one has been working for many years. (Man, I hope I didn't just jinx myself!). For the price, it's a great tool. If I were only sanding round shapes, I'd get a higher quality spindle only sander, but the flat belt comes in handy. Sometimes I wish I could turn off the oscillating, but I haven't figured that one out.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-12-2020, 01:14 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I really wanted one of those sexy oscillating belt sanders, too. I saw it as the perfect solution to both a spindle sander and a belt sander in one tool. I liked the oscillating belt idea - using more of the belt, right? After doing some more digging, I decided not to buy one:

* During the time when I was seriously shopping for one, it seemed that all of them appeared to be the same model from the same factory, just different colored plastic to match the brand name that was slapped on them.
* There were many poor reviews related to reliability across the board. They didn't seem to last. The poor reviews were consistent across brands and review sites, which was not a good sign. There were too many separate complaints about early failures.
* All the parts that touched the wood were cheap plastic. The table, the folding table, etc. At that price, I would have expected aluminum or maybe cast iron.

In the end, I bought a separate oscillating spindle sander (used) and two belt/disc combination sanders, one new, one used. I paid far less in total than one of those oscillating belt sanders that you are considering. Here is what I have:

* Central Machinery 69257 (Harbor Freight) 14 inch oscillating spindle sander with a cast iron top. Used: $60.
* Wen 6515T 1 inch belt sander with 5 inch disc. You can find this same model in different brand names and plastic colors and all price ranges. It is a toy, but it is light weight and easy to move; perfect for my spouse's needs. It was a gift to her for her scroll saw work. New: $70.
* Jepson B6406 4x36 belt sander with 6 inch disc with miter gauge. The seller threw in belts and discs, too. The seller had just bought a larger belt/disc sander to replace it. This sander is all metal, solid and heavy; obviously built to last. The manufacturer went out of business 40 years ago, but I would have bought it anyway, especially at the asking price. Used: $30.

Total: $160. They take more space, but do far more and are arguably better quality than a single expensive plastic oscillating belt sander. That's my personal view, of course.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-13-2020, 01:11 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Triton? Nice heavy table. Looks just like the Grizzly.

Robert
post #9 of 14 Old 09-13-2020, 01:51 PM
woodworking in the garage

View ggosack's Photo Album My Photos
Tritan

Just picked up the Triton version of this "catagory" and for what it costs, it seems like it'll do just fine. If you're more than a hobbyist, maybe something larger would be better.

(edited because I spelled Triton wrong :) )

Last edited by ggosack; 09-13-2020 at 02:09 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-13-2020, 03:03 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i bought the harbor fright spindle oscillating sander 6 years ago, they're pretty much all the same
the gear box and oscillation are very light duty, i suspect if i ever once tried to hog off a lump it would quit
as is i use mine for light sanding mostly on cane handles

if you buy the rigid, buy it at home depot or the warranty is void
post #11 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 PM

View jrshall's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Wen sander #6524 a little over a year ago, and have been very happy with it. It costs about $200 on Amazon, quite a bit cheaper than the Ridgid. Overall, it is very similar to the Ridgid, but does have storage for all accessories on the base. Dust collection is generally good, but doesn't do as good a job when using the sanding belt. I would recommend it unless you are planning to do a lot of heavy duty work with it. I am a hobbyist, so I don't work it too much, mostly for bandsaw boxes and such.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 07:47 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
I have that Ridged Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander and I absolutely love it. I bought mine about 14 years ago and it has never given me anything except good results. If my garage caught fire and burned the sander up, I'd replace it with a new one just like it. When I bought mine, they offered a lifetime warranty if you registered it within a certain time period. I did that because it gave me peace of mind, but I've never had to make a claim on it. I once read a review that the spindle post assembly wasn't square on a new unit and the reviewer said when he called the manufacturer they didn't hesitate to replace the entire machine. Companies change ownership and I don't know who the manufacturer is today, but my machine is a really great performer.

I agree with yomanbill about reviews. I can't tell you how many times I've read negative reviews and wondered if the reviewer bothered to read the "how to use" section of the manual or simply lacked any common sense at all. I remember reading one review of this product where the reviewer commented on how much he loved sanding on the narrow end of the belt for small diameter curves. The manual VERY SPECIFICALLY said to never sand on that end of the belt because it controls tracking. If you come across that one, consider the source.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-17-2020, 08:32 PM

View tomwilson74's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought the Triton TSPS370. It has a tilting table plus the spindles are about an inch taller than most other bench top models. 5 5/8” if I recall.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-18-2020, 07:48 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
ihad a Harbor Freight and gave it to a friend when I picked up the Ridgid. The rigid is a bit more versatile with the belt sander, but the Harbor Freight will accommodate a few larger diameter drums/ssnding sleeves. Honestly I kind of miss the larger sanding drums like offered with the Harbor Freight and various clones. Other than that they all seem to work well.

A handful of patience is worth a bushel of brains...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode