OSB furniture - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
OSB furniture

I was in a store today when I noticed the the tables they had were made out of laminated OSB. The mirrors, drawers stands and counters were also made out of OSB. I'm not sure why but I guess it since it is rather cheap and can have an interesting pattern I can see why someone might think it's cool to make stuff out of it. It seems like a terrible idea in my opinion but I have heard of people using it as flooring before. Which also sounds terrible but apparently they were able to easily replace pieces as once they got too beat up. Other than framing and the one off occasion where plywood is too expensive or whatnot I've never had a real use for OSB and as of such never use it. But the thought never crossed my mind that anyone would want to make tables out of it. What about you lot?

My glorious flip phone doesn't take great pictures but they put lap joints on the styles and screwed them together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180407_172222.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	354450  

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 12:19 AM
Eternal Beginner

View zyglrox's Photo Album My Photos
I've made a lot of shop stuff out of OSB. It's good for things like tool shelves, junk boxes, french cleats, racks, carts, cabinets, etc. Basically for anything you may need to dismantle or modify and will inevitably beat up, OSB is a great material. In my old shop, I had cabinets and drawers made of OSB. I also made a workbench where the lower shelves were OSB. I also laminated two sheets of it together for the underside of the benchtop and used cheap 1/2 plywood as a sacrificial top. Plenty sturdy, but a lot more cost effective than stacking good 3/4" ply. Very sturdy, stable, and heavy. Hurt a lot less when I had to replace that plywood, too. Can't beat 10-15 bucks to replace a beat-up bench top.

Using it for stuff like that is great when you need something set up quick and cheap. For me, I was setting up a new shop, didn't have a lot of cash, and didn't plan to stay where I was for long. For that, OSB is a great choice. I'm glad I'm not still stuck with it now, but that's neither here nor there. I was very happy to have it then!

I don't think I'd use it on anything meant to be displayed... nothing that needs to hold up and/or will be touched, anyway.

But then again, there's always epoxy. With that I could see OSB chair bottoms and armrests. Stools would be easy to implement that way. Tables with chamfered or maybe rounded over, epoxy-smothered OSB "slab" tops could be pretty eye catching in their own way.

I guess that would offset the cost effectiveness and bring it closer to the cost of hardwood, though, heh... ...you'd have to REALLY be into that "diy" look.

It probably looks cool turned, too.

Life's too short to be caught using cheap sandpaper.

Last edited by zyglrox; 04-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 04:20 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Whats that old saying from P.T Barnum?

Sucker born every minute. Some people will pay through the nose for that "ironic POS" look. Best not to question them on it

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Store fixtures are a completely different kind of woodworking. With a store fixture a store is constantly remodeling and changing their furnishings so it's considered temporary and disposable. Price is also an issue. Since the furnishings are considered disposable they cut as many corners in materials as they can. If you are going to build a table that is only intended to last a year or two and you can get by with using OSB, why not.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 03:10 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
OSB has changed a lot over the years. Originally introduced in the 50s, we saw people using it as paneling, finishing it in with a clear finish. The original OSB would not take moisture well but they have OSB available today that can actually stand in water for hours without problems.
OSB is a good choice for sub-floors. Two thicknesses of 3/4 with staggered seams yields a very strong 1 1/2 sub-floor.
OSB is used for roof decking and is used on walls for corner bracing. A great construction material.
I just never considered it for any type of project other than construction.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode