Ordering wood online any experience? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

View Ronnie1a's Photo Album My Photos
Ordering wood online any experience?

I would like to try ordering some hardwood online but have never done it. A site called 101woods has good prices but do not know about quality. Has anyone had experience doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I've purchased small blanks online but never any significant quantity of lumber. The blanks I got weren't ones I would have picked out myself, but they were the right size and species (as far as I can tell). There was nothing wrong with the pieces; they just weren't the best examples of the wood I wanted.

Would love to hear some other's experiences with online wood purchases.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM

View avewads's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like 101woods.com is Woodworkers Source in AZ. That is where I buy all my lumber. I go there in person, however, and like their quality and selection of wood. Well, at least for my experience and projects. If I were you, I would buy a small batch and see how it goes from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have ordered from www.walllumber.com several times. Quality has always been good.

George
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM

View Sprung's Photo Album My Photos
I ordered from Woodworker's Source one time using their website. I will not order from them again.

I ordered a 20bf project pack from them of their hard country maple when it was on sale back in December. When I received the order, every board had planer tearout - some very extreme, rendering the boards useless to me, especially since one of the reasons I ordered from them was because the boards were already surfaced. In addition to the tearout, one of the boards was also thinner than the others. They advertised that they are 13/16" thick, and one of the boards was a hair under 3/4" thick. Not a huge difference in thickness, but I don't own a planner and was needing and expecting to receive boards that were smooth and uniform thickness - just as they advertise.

They did accept the return. However, even after they received the wood, it took a couple of phone calls for them to finally refund my money. After that ordeal, I will not be ordering from them again. Shortly after that I was able to find a place only an hour away from me to purchase my boards from and am happy with their product and prices - especially for being in a land of few trees.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM

View bladeburner's Photo Album My Photos
I've never heard a complaint about Steve Wall's lumber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode