orbital sander question about paper ??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

View bwendel07's Photo Album My Photos
orbital sander question about paper ???

My older sander is about to go KAPUT. I am going to but a new one and I am wondering what type of one to get one with the hook and loop or sticky back, to attach the paper with. I have the hook and loop one now and like the fact that I can switch out paper back and forth but after time the sander part (hook) has lost its hookness for lack of a better word. And this got me wondering of pro's and con's of the two. What is everyones opinion of the two types and what do ya'll prefer and why. I thought I would just ask before I bought to see if there were any arguments that may change my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
I have both type, the glued pads are cheaper.
I save the cover paper and stick it back on the
pad sometimes when I need to switch paper.

I think if you brush the hook part with a stiff
brush it will help.

I also have a 1/4 sheet sander I use quiet a bit
as the paper is even cheaper for it, and I am a
cheap bas...d you know.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwendel07 View Post
My older sander is about to go KAPUT. I am going to but a new one and I am wondering what type of one to get one with the hook and loop or sticky back, to attach the paper with. I have the hook and loop one now and like the fact that I can switch out paper back and forth but after time the sander part (hook) has lost its hookness for lack of a better word. And this got me wondering of pro's and con's of the two. What is everyones opinion of the two types and what do ya'll prefer and why. I thought I would just ask before I bought to see if there were any arguments that may change my mind.

I've used both and prefer the H & L. The PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) doesn't seem to hold as well. What I do like about H & L is that I can peel off a sanding disk, and apply an abrasive pad, like a Scotchbrite®, for finishing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I have both and I like the h&L a lot better. I like to be able to switch back and forth. It seems to be a lot more durable also. If your pad is wore out, just get another one. They aren't that pricey, if I remember right. I usually buy the discs by the box when Hartville Hardware has their big sales.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 08:01 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with everyone else. The H & L is the sanders that I prefer. The convenience of the ease of paper change far outweighs any con that it could have. Personally, I don't see any cons for the H & L type sanders. You didn't mention how your sander was going kaput. If it is just the fact that the loopiness is gone, I agree with Mike, in that you should just buy a new pad for it.
Ken
post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 AM

View Boardman's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely hook and loop. I'd never go back. I can go thru several grits when sanding one piece and the used discs are still as good as new in terms of putting on/taking off the sander.

I get my discs from Klingspor - 50 discs are about $13, wayyyyy cheaper than the BORGS and they're much longer lasting too. The BORGS around here carry 3M discs, which are very low rated in comparison tests.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Location: Oregon Cascade Mountains 30 miles north of Crater Lake National Park
View Juniperlampguy's Photo Album My Photos
My 2 cents worth: I do a tremendous amount of sanding and only use sticky back. When the pad gets to where the discs wont stick to it, just clean it off with some rubbing alcahol and a paper towel.

These pieces eat alot of discs.
Attached Images

Ron
post #8 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

View bwendel07's Photo Album My Photos
well its a combination of several things that are going Kaput. the cord is in bad shape, the switch is finacky, the pad is wore out (a new one is about $25 at Lowes), and the rubber brake to keep the thing spinning at a reasonable pace is done also. so with all this it just seems like a new one is better than fixing all the small things.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 12:52 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
The other day, I broke my hammer, my chisel set, my ladder, my orbital sander, my quarter sheet sander, my lathe and my drill press. Funny how things happen in 7's. If the sander is in that bad of shape, then I would agree that it would be cheaper (and less of a pain in the @$$) to buy a new one.
Let us know what you decide on.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Juniper lamp guy you do beautiful work.

I don't do a huge amount of sanding so I still like my old Craftsman dual action sander that you can clamp standard sandpaper half sheets into. They are still a lot cheaper than any of the sticky or velcro sandpaper.

Gerry
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 02:43 PM

View Jdurg's Photo Album My Photos
My ROS is a H & L variety and I love it. It's a nice RIDGID sander and it hooks up easily to my RIGID shop vac which cut back on most of the dust. Not all of it, but most of it. I typically buy boxes of sandpaper when Home Depot has a sale so I have a bunch of grits ranging from 60 to 220. I then use my regular 300 and 400 grit paper to do the finish work.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you need to replace the entire unit. I would buy a new one and go with the hook and loop. Red

Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode