Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Woodworking Discussion (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/)
-   -   Options for edging plywood work bench top (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/options-edging-plywood-work-bench-top-141138/)

cassidy 06-26-2016 06:52 PM

Options for edging plywood work bench top
 
I'm building a workbench to accommodate my miter saw on one end (about 20%) of the workbench top length, and to do other stuff, such as accommodate my grinder (for sharpening lathe tools) on the remaining 80% of the benchtop length. This workbench is is not for working projects (it will not have dogs, wood-vices, etc). The workbench top will have two sandwiched 3/4" plywood pieces for a total thickness of 1 and 7/16" thickness. I would like you all to please advise me of options to put on the edge of this benchtop instead of having the plywood edge visually show. Any ideas? I will be clamping and banging some things on this benchtop so whatever I do with the edge needs to be durable. All thoughts and options are welcome!

skizzity 06-26-2016 07:15 PM

Some 1x2 poplar mitered around the top.

woodnthings 06-26-2016 08:44 PM

I slightly different approach ...
 
Use whatever wood you wish, Poplar, Maple etc. but I would create a rabbet by removing a 3/4" wide strip all around to top piece only. This will support the edge band much better than simply an end grain plywood and blue bond.


Kinda like this shape:
http://tr.cwa.sellercloud.com/images...fc27e457a2.jpg

Toolman50 06-26-2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 1420322)
Use whatever wood you wish, Poplar, Maple etc. but I would create a rabbet by removing a 3/4" wide strip all around to top piece only. This will support the edge band much better than simply an end grain plywood and blue bond.


Kinda like this shape:
http://tr.cwa.sellercloud.com/images...fc27e457a2.jpg

I agree with Woodnthings method for a more durable edge. I would also use a harder wood than Poplar if you have some on hand. If you cut the top 3/4" ply about 1" shorter on both length and width, you could eliminate the router exercise. Of course 1" will give you only a 1/2" rabbet all the way around, but I would prefer this 1/2" if I'm using 3/4" hardwood strip.

GeorgeC 06-27-2016 08:10 AM

My workbench top (made of 2x6 laid on their sides) is covered in 1/8" Masonite. I then use 3/4" angle aluminum to protect the edges.

The aluminum edging is screwed to the bench so that I can easily replace the Masonite when I want.

George


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome