Woodworking Talk banner

Online hardwoods

889 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dws780 
#1 ·
Anyone order their hardwoods online? Such as forest2home.com ? How are their prices compare to your local lumber yard?

I don’t really have any hardwood lumber yard that is close to me. I think the closest one is like 45mins away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
#4 ·
There is an online seller on ebay who carries thin boards of several different species. Darned if I remember the username, but it's always been very good quality and very uniform thicknesses if you're looking for stuff in the 1/16th to 3/8" range. I was making a lot of small boxes and other small projects for awhile. Great stuff.. csmdeals88 is the username. They never let me down for their thin stock.

#6 ·
Every time I look at lumber online, the prices seem way too high, especially when you add shipping. Prices are excessive compared with local lumberyards. Furthermore, you get to see, touch, smell and choose (or reject) individual boards at the local lumberyards. I am fortunate to live near several great lumberyards with nice selections of hardwoods.

The only exception for me has been pen blanks. I have ordered pen blanks in specialty woods (and plastic/acrylic). Those specialty woods often have a "pedigree", such as olive wood from the Holy Land and 6000 year old ancient bog oak from Ireland. For small pieces like that, the cost of shipping is small compared with the value of the wood itself.

Recently I ordered a 1 meter long 18 mm black ebonite rod from Japan, mostly for pen making. It was part of a combined order with friends. When the ebonite arrived, I was surprised to learn that shipping plus insurance (!!) cost way more than the rod itself. I had already committed to the order so I didn't complain. If I had known, I would not have joined in on the order. It wasn't worth it.

I doubt I would buy full size boards for furniture and other larger woodworking projects from online sources. Obviously, hardwood availability where you live makes a huge difference. A 45 minute drive to see a selection of boards would be well worth the drive to me. For sure.

If you visit Orange County, California, check out one of my favorites:
Austin Hardwoods (Santa Ana) - https://austinhardwoodsonline.com

I probably buy more hardwood from Reel Lumber, but I enjoy spending time at the Austin Hardwoods store more. Spouse has to drag me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.