One thing you missed building your shop? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 34 Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

View Searoop's Photo Album My Photos
One thing you missed building your shop?

Hello! Had surveyor, plumber, architect over Friday for 24x40 shop layout and plans. All good so far. Hopefully break ground soon.
My question is, if you have a shop or had one built, what would you do over or what is the one thing you wish you had done?

I have been compiling a list for this shop for a while now. Just want to make sure I don't miss something and have a "darn, I didn't think of that when I was building the shop". If you know what I mean!
Thanks, Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 PM

View peridigm's Photo Album My Photos
Radiant floor heat. Cold concrete is bad on the feet.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-01-2015, 10:59 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
With my arthritis - any concrete flooring is bad - go with a wood floor if you can. I did and it's the best thing I did for my shop. I live in NH and dug out my workshop from under my barn. I ended with short ceilings... but I've learned to cope. NH is the "Granite" state and ledge limited my ceiling height.

Some folks say wood floors are a bit bouncy and I agree... but the few bounce areas have not interfered. My table saw, band saw and drill press are in those areas but it hasn't affected my tool performances because even if those tolls bounce when I jump near them, their table also bounce so the tool accuracy remains intact.

I don't have the perfect workshop, but it's perfect for my situation.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-01-2015, 11:10 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Build it bigger, and my shop is divided off into 3 rooms. I wish it was totally open. Install plenty of lights, and outlets. Don't forget the 220 outlets.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
More power. Just about every other problem i can think of, e.g uncomfortable flooring, lighting and the like, can be solved further down the line, but if you build it so you barely have enough power now youll hate it down the line when you have to drag an extension cord everywhere.

I almost said more space, but if youre building a custom shop, odds are you have as much space as you could want

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! My father and I built my last shop, and so I learned a lot. I'm on the fence about wood floors, but I do know what a comfort they are. My father did that to his shop when I was a kid. The electrical will definitely be taken care of. 200 amp service is planned. A couple of floor outlets and many many wall. This shop will also be plumbed with a throne! Last one didn't and it was a pain to have to run in the house. I'm also planning a clean room in the rear for finishing. Radiant heating, well I tossed that around as well. I live in the south and not sure about bang for buck. For me, I think the biggest improvement over my last shop will be dust control. Planning that and air lines to work stations.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 03:59 PM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Air conditioning. 14+ [email protected] air compressor with air lines. 1200+ cfm dust collection. Roll up door. Insulation.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Natural light if you can spare the wall space for windows. Zoned lighting and lots of it. At least a 9' ceiling.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #9 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 05:56 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
A minimum of two "intertwined" overhead lighting circuits so if you pop a breaker that includes the lights, another bank of lights will illuminate the shop safely. Then again, your lights may be on circuits all by themselves, in which case I am jealous. :)
post #10 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Zoned lighting! I didn't think of that. On the list now. A/C was on the list almost 1st! I am planning on transom windows along the back side and one end of the shop. The side that faces the north and the yard will have some large windows plus a double French door opening up to a 6' patio. I'm planning swing out carriage doors with windows instead of roll ups or overhead doors for the garage door end.
post #11 of 34 Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Also make sure the elevation is great enough so it won't take on water if your yard floods. I've had two shops that did that and it's horrible to step into your shop and find it is ankle deep in water.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #12 of 34 Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Also make sure the elevation is great enough so it won't take on water if your yard floods. I've had two shops that did that and it's horrible to step into your shop and find it is ankle deep in water.
No doubt! When I had the plumber out we discussed elevations for connection to my septic system so it will be higher than yard. I also have to have an engineer state wind loads and hurricane clips and such because I live in LA. (Lower Alabama).
post #13 of 34 Old 03-03-2015, 06:32 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbound View Post
A minimum of two "intertwined" overhead lighting circuits so if you pop a breaker that includes the lights, another bank of lights will illuminate the shop safely. Then again, your lights may be on circuits all by themselves, in which case I am jealous. :)
It is normal practice (maybe code in some) to not place outlets and lights on the same breaker.

George
post #14 of 34 Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 AM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
If I ever get to a point where I can build my own shop, lights and outlets will NEVER be on the same circuit. I would also have more dedicated outlets.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #15 of 34 Old 03-03-2015, 04:00 PM

View Metz12's Photo Album My Photos
Wood stove? Use your cutoff scrap to burn. Like said make a box for your floor instead of concrete like already said. I also would make mine bigger. I htought mine would be plenty but now its too small.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 PM

View tom d's Photo Album My Photos
I am really happy I bought inverter type AC/Heat. I wish I had put my DC ducting in the floor and had a dedicated space for the DC with return into the shop to muffle and avoid cooling/heating. I have a 3 hp Laguna cyclone and it's pretty good. Would be happier if I had bought power filter cleaning and gone with another brand.
Wish I had put some floor outlets in.
post #17 of 34 Old 03-04-2015, 01:06 AM

View Hartlus's Photo Album My Photos
Don't just get A/C, get a heat pump instead. You won't need any other heat source where you live except to have as a backup or when temperatures drop below 20F. And you can't get cheaper heat than a heat pump (assuming you pay for your fuel).

Lots of wiring options to choose from. I would wire split duplex receptacles which would give you 30-40 amps available at each box. GFI outlets cannot be wired split duplex so if you want GFI protection it would have to be done in the breaker box. If you didn't manage to install enough 240V receptacles, you could replace any of the split duplex receptacles with one because the wires are already there.
post #18 of 34 Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

I thought about the stove but I really don't need it. I would rather save the space. My dad's shop had one in New Mexico, and I loved it. But here, it's not really needed. I have a fire pit in the back yard and rarely use it. The heat pump is a go. I'm planning ahead for a garage apartment upstairs so it will be plumbed and ducted, just not finished out immediately. Planning on a damper in the ductwork so I can heat and cool both areas or just the one being used.
As far as wiring, I'm not the best electrician and will be subbing that out. But I will definitely ask him about that. My immediate plan was to have individual breakers for each 220 outlet.

At the moment, I'm waiting to hear back from engineer. I swear, between local government and inspectors and such, it's a daunting task to get anything accomplished these days.

Life is to short to eat brown bananas!
post #19 of 34 Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM

View tom d's Photo Album My Photos
Another thought. If I had known I was going to do much lathe work, I would have put in a chute out the floor into a dedicated trash collection.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom d View Post
Another thought. If I had known I was going to do much lathe work, I would have put in a chute out the floor into a dedicated trash collection.

Yea, no kidding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode