Old wood siding questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

View Abide_dude's Photo Album My Photos
Old wood siding questions

Hi all, i have a storage building at my parents that has wood siding. I am planning on repairing it and makig it look great. It has a couple spots where sand hornets chewed big holes and built nests in the wall. I was hoping to find some replacement boards but it appears they are not produced in this type any longer, so was thinking of sawing my own. I have a 10” table saw and a band saw. My question is, how is this done? and are there any ideas on how i could replicate this myself?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B8C174C-C66F-4240-8385-58BD316B11C4_1545241619423.jpg (206.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg F0A4D6E5-F7F5-4820-90FA-6DD73B243767_1545241661197.jpg (205.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 133E2BC6-77E4-4ADC-BB9D-66C0351AAA1F_1545241686113.jpg (181.7 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-19-2018, 01:11 PM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Its known as SHIPLAP. very common, you should be able to buy it from a woodyard or even a bg box store.
Or you can buy router cutters to make your own.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiplap
post #3 of 5 Old 12-19-2018, 04:48 PM

View km7873's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide_dude View Post
Hi all, i have a storage building at my parents that has wood siding. I am planning on repairing it and makig it look great. It has a couple spots where sand hornets chewed big holes and built nests in the wall. I was hoping to find some replacement boards but it appears they are not produced in this type any longer, so was thinking of sawing my own. I have a 10 table saw and a band saw. My question is, how is this done? and are there any ideas on how i could replicate this myself?

That is a cove ship lap, you probably won't find it on the shelf anywhere but any lumberyard with a mill can make it for you. Boral TruExterior makes it out of a synthetic polymer/ fly-ash blend, which is more expensive than wood but in this case could be convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 PM

View Frost's Photo Album My Photos
We call that Novelty Siding, its pretty common here in the Northeast. I just redid my barn and had to piece in a lot of it, comes in 6 or 8 inch widths. Not available off the shelf everywhere, but I can find it at a few lumberyards nearby. Usually made from #2 pine. Don't know where you are, but I'd think that a decent yard could order some for you. If you order it, you should order some pieces wider then you need. Meaning if you need 6" wide, order some extra 8 " so you can saw it down to fit as its not as forgiving as clapboards when applying, just has a 1/2 inch lap which is not much.

Good luck

Last edited by Frost; 12-19-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: correction
post #5 of 5 Old 12-19-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

View Abide_dude's Photo Album My Photos
Cove ship lap, just what i was looking for. Thanks folks!! I was planning on trying to figure a way to saw them myself, because i’ll only need around 10 board foot. Another reason, i suppose, would to have the knowledge of how to make more to replace future boards (and for bragging rights to say “i made this”) thanks again 🙂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode