Woodworking Talk banner

Old jointer

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ej48 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an old jointer I would like to start using. I think it's a craftsman. It has a 1/2 HP motor. The pulley on the motor is 2.5". The one on the jointer is 2". I think I need to increase the rpm's. So what kind of speed should I be looking for and what size pulley do I need to put on the motor.the blades are about 4.5 inches.
Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
This looks like a great little joiner.
My first thought is to use the joiner as-is.
Without knowing the RPM of the motor ( most likely either 1750 or 3450 rpm), it's premature to recommend a pulley change.
I would stay with the original ratios if you can find what they are.
I'm betting the pulley ratios are original.
This little machine was made to make a maximum cutting depth of no more than 1/8" per pass.

#9 ·
I used one similar to that up until I got my big 6 inch jointer. Mine had a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm motor, with around a 5 or 6 inch motor pulley and a 2 inch head pulley. If memory serves correctly the recommended speed for the cutterhead is in the 4-5000 rpm range, so a 5 inch motor pulley should do you well.

As far as power goes, the 1/2 on yours should be plenty, so long as you keep the knive sharp and don't try making super-deep cuts

#13 ·
I installed the 5" pulley. It does 4" wide boards without a problem. The shaving a half the size they were before and it sounds smoother. I just have to get the right size belt and secure the motor better. Need to make an adjuster for the belt tension.
Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.