Old Craftsman Table Saw Problems - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

View AKJeff's Photo Album My Photos
Old Craftsman Table Saw Problems

I have a Craftsman Table Saw serial model 113.19063. The saw has worked flawlessly for years until recently. When I turn the switch on the motor makes a buzzing sound and the blade does not spin. Eventually the breaker will trip. The belt and blade spin freely when the saw is off so there's nothing holding it up. Ive read these older models are notorious for collecting dust in the motor. I removed it and cleaned out a considerable amount of sawdust. After cleaning the motor doesn't even make the "buzzing" noise anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Electric motors are not my specialty.

I should also add. before cleaning I noticed the on/off switch got fairly hot. Is it possible the switch is just burnt out? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I should also point out that the cord is in pretty rough shape. cracked in a few places and in need of replacement. I guess I'm just curious if I should go through the process of replacing things if the motor is shot. I do love this saw tho, it has a nice heavy top and has been perfect for me. also, it has been in the family for years as it was once my grandfathers and I'd hate to let it go.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJeff View Post
I have a Craftsman Table Saw serial model 113.19063. The saw has worked flawlessly for years until recently. When I turn the switch on the motor makes a buzzing sound and the blade does not spin. Eventually the breaker will trip. The belt and blade spin freely when the saw is off so there's nothing holding it up. Ive read these older models are notorious for collecting dust in the motor. I removed it and cleaned out a considerable amount of sawdust. After cleaning the motor doesn't even make the "buzzing" noise anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Electric motors are not my specialty.

I should also add. before cleaning I noticed the on/off switch got fairly hot. Is it possible the switch is just burnt out? Thanks in advance!
It is not just Craftsman. Many motors, especially Open Drip Proof style can get dust. Many others get dust in the switch.

A recent thread by Chaincarver Steve on how to fix a motor.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/r...-course-46405/

The buzzing was likely the motor trying to start, pulling too many amps tripping the breaker.

Many other recent threads on cleaning out motors/switches in the Power Tools and Machinery forum.

Sounds like you may need to clean the contacts in the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply... this looks like a good start. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see what I can come up with.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
Being electric motors aren't your specialty may I suggest that before you begin removing through bolts that you reference the end caps to the mid section . I often use a felt tip pen drawing a line across the two pieces or tape with pencil witness marks . It usually makes assembly simpler . We're hoping that solves the problem .
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You might have the start/run capacitor checked.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Electric motors typically have two capacitors. One to start the motor, and one that is engaged once the motor starts.

Sounds like the centrifugal switch that engages the start capacitor is jammed open by saw dust, or the start capacitor is bad.

Get a long stick. Raise the blade so it is about an inch above the table. Now turn on the saw, and standing to the side of the table, flick the blade with the long stick to spin it and see if the motor kicks in. (You might want to practice the flicking part with the saw off a few times before you try it with the power on.)

If the motor starts you know it is either the switch or the capacitor. There are good instructions on testing the capacitor on wikihow, here: http://m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Start-Capacitor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode