Old craftsman contractor saw. Is this normal? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 08-04-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

View thewaydown's Photo Album My Photos
Old craftsman contractor saw. Is this normal?

I have an old 10" craftsman contractor saw. I've had issues getting the blade aligned to the miter slot. I posted a thread a couple days ago and got some good responses but its not letting me post a response for some reason, so I thought id start another after doing a little investigating.

Heres the old thread:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/b...4/#post2000340

Basically, I got the blade aligned using a dial indicator within .001". Then, I tilted the blade to 45 then back to 90 and checked again, and now its off .006". It is extremely hard to crank the tilt handle when getting close to 45, and extremely loose when close to 90. So its hard to get both dialed in correctly. I was given the good advice of getting underneath (i flipped it upside down to make it easier) and disassembling the trunnions and cleaning them along with the worm gear for the tilt mechanism. I noticed that the whole side of the body where the crank for the tilt is flexes in and out pretty drastically when cranking. I added some 1/4" reinforcement on the outside on either side of where the crank is, which made it sturdier, but it still flexes. Furthermore, I noticed some wobble on a couple of parts, and I am unsure whether this is normal or not. I took a couple videos:

Is it normal to have that much play? I feel like being able to move the carriage that much by hand is an issue. Also, the nut that the threaded rod feeds into on the carriage has side to side play, but again, I don't know if thats normal. If either of these things is not normal/will cause problems, anyone have a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Zayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blade alignment, craftsman 113, saw alignment, table saw, tilt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode