OK gang, one more ingenious idea please? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mmwood_1

post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
OK gang, one more ingenious idea please?

So hereís the deal. The faucet in my kitchen sink has been leaking - I donít know for how long. The water has run into the cabinet below after which it migrated into the holes in the floor of the cabinet where the pipes come up into the cabinet from below.

Because everything is closed up under the cabinet I have no way of knowing how much water is under the cabinet sitting on the floor.

My instinct is to take a big hole saw and create an inspection port, but you folks always come up with clever alternatives I didnít think of. Got one more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Hereís a picture of the scene of the crime.

Name:  1293EBA3-307F-4561-AFBF-7A92FA208C81_1576108129907.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  266.0 KB

Last edited by difalkner; 12-11-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: show photo
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 09:52 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Can you access the area from underneath?. If not, I would cut the wood around the pipes with a sawsall and lift it up to inspect, then with some blocks you can lower the wood to the original location after any repairs are made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 10:31 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would guess that you are going to have to do considerable repair. With that in mind I would carefully remove as much of the floor of the cabinet as you can. That will give you access to repair what is underneath. The when repairs are made replace the part you removed.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Doh!

I forgot that I recently bought an endoscope!

I snaked that puppy into the space just above the toe kick and got a bugís eye view into the space between the base of the cabinet and the floor. It looks like the water was kind enough to follow the pipes and mostly drip into the crawl space below.

The faucet is the type where it pulls out and acts as a sprayer. The fitting into the sprayer was loose and when it was turned on, water ran back into the stem, then followed the hose down into the cabinet. As I said, I donít know how long it was going on, but at least it wasnít dripping continuously.

Leak detectors ordered!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

By the way, the endoscope was $36 on Amazon. I bought it on a lark, but I feel like it earned its keep tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...18487357&psc=1
post #7 of 8 Old 12-12-2019, 03:44 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Quickstep, Glad you solved the problem. For future info, if you're interested, I have made access panels in cabinet bottoms such as yours by cutting a rectangular hole in the bottom, then using a router and making a rabbet all around the edges of the hole. Make another piece of ply with an opposing rabbet so that it drops into place and sits flush. I usually use a recessed brass pull that gets mortised into the ply and lays flush. The size of the hole is determined by how much space you need to run your router around the edge for the rabbet.
GeorgeC likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
Quickstep, Glad you solved the problem. For future info, if you're interested, I have made access panels in cabinet bottoms such as yours by cutting a rectangular hole in the bottom, then using a router and making a rabbet all around the edges of the hole. Make another piece of ply with an opposing rabbet so that it drops into place and sits flush. I usually use a recessed brass pull that gets mortised into the ply and lays flush. The size of the hole is determined by how much space you need to run your router around the edge for the rabbet.

Now her is an ingenious idea!!!

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode