Oiling 1959 Craftsman RAS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

View kallen's Photo Album My Photos
Oiling 1959 Craftsman RAS

A few months ago I purchased a TERRIFIC 1959 Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. It even came with the original bound manual. Problem is, the manual does NOT have anything about oiling.

I want to oil the gears in the vertical shaft and the rollers on the head. Is there any info on where I should place the oil? I tried to google but couldn't find what I wanted. I want to make sure this baby lasts another 54 years! :)

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
when i disassembled a c-man RAS from the 60s, i found an impressive amount of grease in the gears that connected the elevation rod (with the crank handle) to the rod within the column that supports the overhead track. i don't think that's an area you need to be concerned with, especially as i seem to recall literally having to take most of the column support apart to get to it.

as far as the roller dearings that hold the saw carriage to the overarm tracks, a little white lithium grease or dry lube should do the trick. if using WLG, just make sure it's completely dry before conducting any operations that would introduce sawdust to the WLG. otherwise, it tends to attract and hold sawdust, resulting in a gummy mess.

i presently have a mid 60s c-man RAS in the shop and find that it requires very little lubrication or adjustment, but it's use is restricted to 90 crosscuts.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
If you insist, use lithium white grease.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1000 View Post
when i disassembled a c-man RAS from the 60s, i found an impressive amount of grease in the gears that connected the elevation rod (with the crank handle) to the rod within the column that supports the overhead track. i don't think that's an area you need to be concerned with, especially as i seem to recall literally having to take most of the column support apart to get to it.

as far as the roller dearings that hold the saw carriage to the overarm tracks, a little white lithium grease or dry lube should do the trick. if using WLG, just make sure it's completely dry before conducting any operations that would introduce sawdust to the WLG. otherwise, it tends to attract and hold sawdust, resulting in a gummy mess.

i presently have a mid 60s c-man RAS in the shop and find that it requires very little lubrication or adjustment, but it's use is restricted to 90 crosscuts.
+1. WLG doesn't really dry, and will attract any dust. I've never done more than kept the saw blown out, to include all the cranking mechanism. Wipe down the guide bars/track and rollers should be kept clean. IIRC, they are sealed. If there was some critical lubrication necessary, the manual should have covered it.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
....WLG doesn't really dry, and will attract any dust.......
not to hijack this thread, but that's what i thought. however, i believe knotscott has indicated that he uses it to lubricate his TS. perhaps he'll comment on his WLG experience.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1000 View Post
not to hijack this thread, but that's what i thought. however, i believe knotscott has indicated that he uses it to lubricate his TS. perhaps he'll comment on his WLG experience.
Graphite works pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode