Oil stain respirators - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By allpurpose

post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
An Old Newbie

View SWrick's Photo Album My Photos
Oil stain respirators

I知 applying coats of oil urethane to a pine porch ceiling and the day after my first coat, I知 feeling really bad and I知 guessing it was due to the fumes?

I知 thinking I値l set up a fan for the second coat to better move the air, however is there a respirator I could immediately purchase that would help with the fumes? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I just happened to find some charcoal N95 paper masks at my Lowe's.
with the virus going on, actual respirators have all but disappeared
in my area. it is like this one and is considered disposable after a few uses.
cheaper than buying a full face respirator that you may never use again.

Oil stain respirators-3m-odor-paint-mask.jpg

there are many products that affect people differently. and our body
will build up a sensitivity to those items. we just have to protect ourselves accordingly.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 10:03 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I thought someone had stolen my spray mask a few months ago so I needed another in a pinch. No stores had them and even Amazon wasn't selling them, but you can get them on ebay called a half face mask and they're quite effective. I like the older style by Bellcamp (much better fit and more comfortable), but I can't find them anymore so I use the 3M type .

All day long on ebay for around $25, a rip off, but they beat anything lesser .
Don't trust your lungs and overall health to just any old cheap mask. I've had serious exposure to some really nasty chemicals over the years and don't take chances anymore. Invest in a decent mask. And for a lot of painting, etc., keep in a large ziplock bag to keep the filtration parts from drying out. For the occasional small job it's not as important, but if you're going to spend an hour or more at a time behind the mask keep it in a baggie..and don't trust the Chinese made junk masks. They might be ok and they might not be ok..bottom line, do you want to trust the Chinese Communist party with your health over a buck or two ?

And John, no way am I going to trust my health to a paper mask even if it says charcoal somewhere on it. No offense intended, but I did this stuff for a living for quite some time. Even my corporate bosses didn't care if I lived or died, but I did and still do. Oil based paints and stains still contain some rather nasty crap in them regardless of what the label might say. But hey, your health, not mine. I want to keep my liver functional as long as possible.
SWrick likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Last edited by allpurpose; 09-16-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
An Old Newbie

View SWrick's Photo Album My Photos
I searched all over the internet for a good 3m respirator and was unable to fine one, anywhere and it never occurred to me to check EBay ! Sure enough, there were plenty available there and I致e already ordered one! Thanks so much for the suggestion.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 11:30 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 3M respirator like the one AllPurpose posted the picture of. I think you want the Organic Vapor Cartridge. When in use and operating properly, you shouldn't be able to smell the paint.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2020, 07:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That 3m disposable respirator would work fine for that if you can find one. I can't smell stain or most any finish when wearing one. Funny if someone is smoking a cigarette the smell goes right through the respirator. When I was foreman of someone's shop it was the rule there "No Smoking" and everyone would wait until I went into the spray booth to light up. What they didn't know was the booth was drawing the air from the shop into the booth and I would have to stop what I was doing to go after someone.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2020, 09:51 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same 3M respirator with the charcoal cartridges. It's usually about $25-$30 at Menard's. The ones that say OV (I think organic vapor?) will keep you from smelling most chemicals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode