Oak Tree Burl - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By _Ogre
  • 1 Post By johnedp34

post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

View DallasGal75225's Photo Album My Photos
Oak Tree Burl

Hello, all. I have a large oak tree in Dallas that I plan to cut down. It has a very large burl at the base. The tree looks to be in fairly good health, and I have had it pruned and dead branches cut each year. How do I go about getting this sold? I have already had people ask about it but they want it for free by cutting down the tree. It is a very nice piece of wood. Please send suggestions. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2020, 01:10 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum, Gal.
I moved your post to General Discussion as it will get better exposure.

I am a painter: that's what I do, I like to paint things.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2020, 01:12 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
a picture is worth a 1000 words
faith michel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2020, 06:13 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
This was originally posted by Texas Timbers.

So many people think someone will pay them to remove a "highly valuable" tree for them.
johnep
JamesTinKS likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnedp34 For This Useful Post:
Tony B (05-15-2020)
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2020, 06:23 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Oak Burls can be pretty but it all depends on the minerals in the soil. That is what gives the burls their color and hence a value. When I cut my burls off my trees in the woods, they made beautiful bowls and other turned objects.
You wont have a windfall of money coming from it but it could be anywhere from a few hundred toa few thousand, depending on size and coloration
Go to a local woodworking supply company and they can tell you of any local woodturning clubs that might be interested. If the burl is large enough for slabs, take the bur, to a local sawmill and have it slabbed and try to sell the slabs yourself on craigslist or again, go to a local woodworking supplier and they will tell you of any local woodworking clubs.
Personally, I dont think you will get much. If the tree is coming down anyway, might as well try your luck in selling the burl. If you think you can pay to have the tree cut down and sell the burl and the lumber, you will probably lose a ton of money. Then again, you may get lucky.

Is the tree on a large parcel of land where the tree can be dropped in any direction?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 05-15-2020 at 06:54 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-16-2020, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
welcome to the forum, Gal.
I moved your post to General Discussion as it will get better exposure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Oak Burls can be pretty but it all depends on the minerals in the soil. That is what gives the burls their color and hence a value. When I cut my burls off my trees in the woods, they made beautiful bowls and other turned objects.
You wont have a windfall of money coming from it but it could be anywhere from a few hundred toa few thousand, depending on size and coloration
Go to a local woodworking supply company and they can tell you of any local woodturning clubs that might be interested. If the burl is large enough for slabs, take the bur, to a local sawmill and have it slabbed and try to sell the slabs yourself on craigslist or again, go to a local woodworking supplier and they will tell you of any local woodworking clubs.
Personally, I dont think you will get much. If the tree is coming down anyway, might as well try your luck in selling the burl. If you think you can pay to have the tree cut down and sell the burl and the lumber, you will probably lose a ton of money. Then again, you may get lucky.

Is the tree on a large parcel of land where the tree can be dropped in any direction?
Thank you!
post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2020, 08:34 AM

You are quite welcome and the best of luck and fun in whatever you decide.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Here is the tree that I mentioned...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_1404332_1590001690071.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	5.08 MB
ID:	389771  

Name:	IMG_20200520_1404129_1590001722189.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	389773  

Name:	IMG_20200520_1403502_1590001760608.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	5.90 MB
ID:	389775  

post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I posted pictures below. Not expecting to make a ton, but if it has any value, I would like some guidance in how to cut it down. If it brings a few dollars, great. If not, it will burn well in the winter...
post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I was thinking of the "burl" being higher up on the tree.
if I were a sawyer, there is no way I would cut that with my saw.
(I think that would be considered more of the root formation than a burl).
it has the very real potential of having rocks and metal objects embedded in it.

and like Tony said: we wish you all the best in whatever you decide.

I am a painter: that's what I do, I like to paint things.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 PM

It is unusual to see a burl that close to the ground but they can grow anywhere on a tree.
Anyhoo, no tellin' what it looks like until it is cut down. Like I said earlier, the mineral content in the soil will give it the coloration.
If the tree is cut down, and the burl is good looking, then and only then can you decide what would be the best way to cut it. Might get a nice 'cookie' and several turning worthy pieces. So after it's cut, get the local woodworking members out there to look it over and make you an offer.
If cut into 10-12" cubes for woodturning, you might get $30 a chunk. If the cookie yields a really nice colorful pattern, maybe $200 to $400 for the slice and maybe get 2 or 3 slices out of it. I'm just guessing. maybe even sell it on here in the classifieds after it is cut up.

Never really know, maybe you will fall in love with it and become a woodworker or turner or both.

Tony B

post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
It is unusual to see a burl that close to the ground but they can grow anywhere on a tree.
Anyhoo, no tellin' what it looks like until it is cut down. Like I said earlier, the mineral content in the soil will give it the coloration.
If the tree is cut down, and the burl is good looking, then and only then can you decide what would be the best way to cut it. Might get a nice 'cookie' and several turning worthy pieces. So after it's cut, get the local woodworking members out there to look it over and make you an offer.
If cut into 10-12" cubes for woodturning, you might get $30 a chunk. If the cookie yields a really nice colorful pattern, maybe $200 to $400 for the slice and maybe get 2 or 3 slices out of it. I'm just guessing. maybe even sell it on here in the classifieds after it is cut up.

Never really know, maybe you will fall in love with it and become a woodworker or turner or both.
Thanks, Tony B. This is helpful information.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2020, 11:05 AM

Here is another suggestion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If you know 2 somebodys, one with a chainsaw and one with a lathe, with luck, it could be one and the same. Here is what I think: have them cut a 12" cube at the base of the burl. They can keep it and make a nice bowl or something and then you will know what you have with a finished surface. This should not hurt the tree. I have cut burls off the sides of some of my Post Oak trees with no apparent damage to the trees. Just dont cut completely around the tree because that might kill it.

Good Luck.

Tony B

Last edited by Tony B; 05-21-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode