Oak Bookcases, how much? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Future Master Craftsman

View bsharding1982's Photo Album My Photos
Question Oak Bookcases, how much?

About how much would you guys for two oak bookcases that are roughly 22" deep, 54" tall and 50" wide? I took this job, but do not think I will beable to finish it. I was just wondering about how much it would be for a professional to do it. My eyes were bigger than my skills, I just don't think I am ready for a project like this yet

They are to fit in a nook on each side of their fireplace. With the size and constraints, I think I'm going to pass it on to someone.

How long should project like this take?

Also, if you are around Indy and are interested let me know. I would love to give them some contacts.

*Woodworker in Training*
http://brent.harding.home.comcast.net/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 PM

View Knot Home's Photo Album My Photos
You can do it!

Only you know how much skill you have, but the project is pretty straight forward. I'm thinking make the carcass out of 3/4" oak plywood and face frame it with solid oak. Solid oak for the crown and the base. 1/4" oak plywood for the back.

50" is too wide for a bookshelf, so you'll need a center vertical partition to halve the distance (books are very heavy and the shelves would sag under their weight). The shleves are oak plywood as well, with a thick oak strip front and rear for stiffness. Support the shelves on shelf support pegs. Most of the time will be in the finishing, but you can save some time and trouble by finishing the parts before assembly (don't finish where you're going to glue, of course).

There are some excellent plans available from Woodsmith magazine (check www.woodsmith.com). I built one for practice out of birch plywood and pine (before making a couple out of cherry) and it was surprisingly easy. Everybody wants the thing, but it's got my decoy collection on it now, and there they stay!

As for cost, you're looking at probably four or five sheets of 3/4" oak plywood. two sheets of 1/4" oak plywood, and I'm guessing about 40 to 50 bd ft of 4/4 oak for the face frames, crown and base. 1 to 2 quarts of finish, And your time. No idea how fast you work, but it sounds like it's a good 20 to 40 hour deal (it would be for me anyway).

One last bit of advice: 22" is too deep for a bookcase. More like about half that. Most books are between 5.5" and 8.5" wide. A real honker might go 12".

Go fo it!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 AM

View mayday3374's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to mayday3374
i checked out your site and have to think you have the skill to build a bookcase. have you really taken the time to sit down and preplan everything out? i am new to woodworking, but in my limited experience, i found that seemingly difficult projects become much easier if i take a few days to preplan everything on paper. i review and change plans until i have something that i know will work. i write down the estimated materials needed, i measure out exact dimensions of my finished piece, and from there, i write out 1 step at a time, accounting for wood stock thickness, cutlists for my pieces, and plan everything out step by step. there is alot of time spent on this step, but i found that in all the projects i have done so far, it was well worth it. i would use oak plywood for the carcass. if you buy from home depot or lowes, they have a panel saw and can cut it onsite. this really makes it easier to have it cut down to approximate size, as it can be difficult to rip large boards at home without good equipment. just some food for thought..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode