Now, this is some workshop! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Now, this is some workshop!

Years ago I saw this video and was impressed with the incredible amount of tools, parts and pieces this fellow has managed to store in his basement workshop. I came across his name on a note just recently and thought the community here would like to visit his shop be way of a video tour:
faith michel likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-10-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
How does he remember what he has?
post #3 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 07:23 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
How does he remember what he has?

He probably doesn't.

George
BigJim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
That is probably why he has all that stuff, he forgets he has what he is looking for and goes and buys another one, I know I have done that but not to that extent. My stars that is a tool shop instead of a workshop.
Tony B, difalkner and faith michel like this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 08:31 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I also saw that years ago and it's fascinating, for sure. But we have the same problem, albeit mine is on a much smaller scale - tool heavy and floor space light. He has some really neat ways of storing small items like dowels, fasteners, etc. and the man really likes roller conveyors for material handling.

It's a neat place and I'm sure took years and years to get to where he is now. I wonder how large that room/shop/basement is - looks huge.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 AM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
I like it.. It is beautiful workshop but it looks a little Claustrophobic.. It looks like a market..
Thanks for your share..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

SECOND CHANCE & SECOND LİFE
post #7 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Walk through? How?

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Stand or walk sideways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Walk through? How?

LOL. I am almost to the point of having to turn sideways myself in certain places in my shop. I have been known to kick a small can of bolts a few feet across the shop by accident. I will get organized when warm weather comes to Michigan ......
Kerrys likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
What I do have an appreciation for is how he use 2 levels for his work machines like the jointer and planer. I like the use of the space over the table saw. The idea to hang more stuff from above in unlikely places is a good one.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Watch at :30 secs in .....

See the table saw? There's no way he can rip anything very long on the tablesaw with only about 5 ft total infeed.......
How does he build any projects? All the space is taken up with tools and machines!

No sign of any completed projects on this video.

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-10-2020 at 11:27 AM.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 11:25 AM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think I could handle working in there. It is probably more organized than anything I'll ever have, but if I start bumping into things, it's not long before stuff starts flying across the room.

How does he work on anything over about 3' long? Looks like planing or cutting down a 8' board would be tough.
IowaDave likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Woodgears interviewed this guy .....

Here's a description in his own words about how he got started and some good photos of the shop:
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/jacques/index.html

post #13 of 30 Old 01-10-2020, 11:07 PM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
He's got more dollars in router bits than I do in my entire shop!
My shop is a crowded mess, but I rather have it than his. It's way to crammed up for me. With that much stuff I'd forget where anything is constantly.

My wife says I never finish anyth

Ken
post #14 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 AM

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
That's some workshop full of tools!

BillF
post #15 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Having read woodgears interview .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Here's a description in his own words about how he got started and some good photos of the shop:
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/jacques/index.html

In his own words, Jacques explains a little about each machine, it's function and quality and how he accesses it in the crowed shop environment. It actually makes a lot of sense. The shop is 70 ft long so it's difficult to walk between work stations. There are several overhead winches to lift heavy stock feeders that hang from the ceiling joists. There are several ways to deal with 4 X 8 panels including a vertical and a horizontal panel saw, as well as the table saw for smaller ones.

Read for yourself for a better appreciation of the thinking that has gone into the shop. It's not just a "collection" it's a working shop according to Jacques.

I always considered myself a "tool junky" and still do, but I'm a novice compared to this guy. He also made a radial arm router out of a RAS like I did. My triple 12" table saw made from 3 Craftsman direct drive saws is unique, however. Original cost for two of the saws was under $1,000.00 back around 1980. The 3rd one was a Craig's List find a few years back. I have a 4th for parts and a spare motor. There are 3 more table saws I can use if needed.One was an Easter Sunday close out deal on a Craftsman 10" Hybrid for which I paid $486.00, a like new floor model. I didn't matter I already had the triple 12, I couldn't pass on that one. I'm a Tool Junky for sure.

Anyway, I enjoyed the shop tour and hearing Jacques in his own words, hope you all did as well!

post #16 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 10:43 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I would love to have his shop just to sell off 70% of his stuff. It looks more like a tool and hardware store than a shop.
I am a neat freak and need lots of room to work in. I like to spread out.
Between the size of his workshop and the tools he has in there, it could be a wonderland but there is no way I could enjoy working in there as is. Way too cluttered. When living on my boat, my attitude was always that there is a great need for 'people space'. His shop has none. Maybe from living there all those years his brain has memorized every cubic inch, but I consider it a major safety hazard.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #17 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 10:48 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I am also a tool junky but I don't have the money or the room to fulfill my dreams. This guy has taken being a tool junky too the highest degree. I loved every minute of that video.
woodnthings and subroc like this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I would love to have his shop just to sell off 70% of his stuff. It looks more like a tool and hardware store than a shop.
I am a neat freak and need lots of room to work in. I like to spread out.
Between the size of his workshop and the tools he has in there, it could be a wonderland but there is no way I could enjoy working in there as is. Way too cluttered. When living on my boat, my attitude was always that there is a great need for 'people space'. His shop has none. Maybe from living there all those years his brain has memorized every cubic inch, but I consider it a major safety hazard.

Well, isn't every square inch of available space on a boat used for something?
post #19 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 07:41 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
No it is not, other than free space.
If anything, I have removed stuff that previous owners had put in.
There must be living space for actually living. If something comes on the boat, something must go off the boat of equal size.
I have never modified a boat by adding other than what the manufacturer designed it for. Never so much as a small shelf.
Also, i have used hidden spaces such as under a bottom drawer, against the fiberglass hull to store smal stuff like a hacksaw.
I actually kept an inventory book so that I could find stuff in really hidden spaces.
Attached is an example of one of my boats.
I cant find the other pics of the salon (living room), but the room is actually longer and the temporary chair was replaced with a smaller one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Forward.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	383357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salon Now.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	383359  

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #20 of 30 Old 01-11-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Living solely on a boat requires discipline....

Unlike having a home workshop which you can leave cluttered without having a shipwreck. The boat must be functioning at all times whether at port or on the water. I would also think a watercraft on a river would have different needs and equipment than one on an open body like a large lake, I'm thinking Lake Michigan. I've only been a guest on a sail boat and a 55 ft steel hull house boat belonging to my Aunt and Uncle who was in the US Coast Guard and quite the mariner. My German Shepard needed special permission to come aboard.....
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode