Woodworking Talk banner

Now, this is some workshop!

2K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  RichardA 
#1 · (Edited)
Years ago I saw this video and was impressed with the incredible amount of tools, parts and pieces this fellow has managed to store in his basement workshop. I came across his name on a note just recently and thought the community here would like to visit his shop be way of a video tour:

Reactions: faith michel
#5 ·
I also saw that years ago and it's fascinating, for sure. But we have the same problem, albeit mine is on a much smaller scale - tool heavy and floor space light. He has some really neat ways of storing small items like dowels, fasteners, etc. and the man really likes roller conveyors for material handling.

It's a neat place and I'm sure took years and years to get to where he is now. I wonder how large that room/shop/basement is - looks huge.

David

#8 ·
Stand or walk sideways!

LOL. I am almost to the point of having to turn sideways myself in certain places in my shop. I have been known to kick a small can of bolts a few feet across the shop by accident. I will get organized when warm weather comes to Michigan ...... :wink:

Reactions: Kerrys
#10 · (Edited)
Watch at :30 secs in .....

See the table saw? There's no way he can rip anything very long on the tablesaw with only about 5 ft total infeed....... :|
How does he build any projects? All the space is taken up with tools and machines!

No sign of any completed projects on this video.

#11 ·
I don't think I could handle working in there. It is probably more organized than anything I'll ever have, but if I start bumping into things, it's not long before stuff starts flying across the room.

How does he work on anything over about 3' long? Looks like planing or cutting down a 8' board would be tough.

#12 ·
#15 ·
Having read woodgears interview .........

Here's a description in his own words about how he got started and some good photos of the shop:
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/jacques/index.html

In his own words, Jacques explains a little about each machine, it's function and quality and how he accesses it in the crowed shop environment. It actually makes a lot of sense. The shop is 70 ft long so it's difficult to walk between work stations. There are several overhead winches to lift heavy stock feeders that hang from the ceiling joists. There are several ways to deal with 4 X 8 panels including a vertical and a horizontal panel saw, as well as the table saw for smaller ones.

Read for yourself for a better appreciation of the thinking that has gone into the shop. It's not just a "collection" it's a working shop according to Jacques.

I always considered myself a "tool junky" and still do, but I'm a novice compared to this guy. He also made a radial arm router out of a RAS like I did. My triple 12" table saw made from 3 Craftsman direct drive saws is unique, however. Original cost for two of the saws was under $1,000.00 back around 1980. The 3rd one was a Craig's List find a few years back. I have a 4th for parts and a spare motor. There are 3 more table saws I can use if needed.One was an Easter Sunday close out deal on a Craftsman 10" Hybrid for which I paid $486.00, a like new floor model. I didn't matter I already had the triple 12, I couldn't pass on that one. I'm a Tool Junky for sure. :wink:

Anyway, I enjoyed the shop tour and hearing Jacques in his own words, hope you all did as well!

#16 ·
I would love to have his shop just to sell off 70% of his stuff. It looks more like a tool and hardware store than a shop.
I am a neat freak and need lots of room to work in. I like to spread out.
Between the size of his workshop and the tools he has in there, it could be a wonderland but there is no way I could enjoy working in there as is. Way too cluttered. When living on my boat, my attitude was always that there is a great need for 'people space'. His shop has none. Maybe from living there all those years his brain has memorized every cubic inch, but I consider it a major safety hazard.

#18 ·
I would love to have his shop just to sell off 70% of his stuff. It looks more like a tool and hardware store than a shop.
I am a neat freak and need lots of room to work in. I like to spread out.
Between the size of his workshop and the tools he has in there, it could be a wonderland but there is no way I could enjoy working in there as is. Way too cluttered. When living on my boat, my attitude was always that there is a great need for 'people space'. His shop has none. Maybe from living there all those years his brain has memorized every cubic inch, but I consider it a major safety hazard.

Well, isn't every square inch of available space on a boat used for something?

#19 ·
No it is not, other than free space.
If anything, I have removed stuff that previous owners had put in.
There must be living space for actually living. If something comes on the boat, something must go off the boat of equal size.
I have never modified a boat by adding other than what the manufacturer designed it for. Never so much as a small shelf.
Also, i have used hidden spaces such as under a bottom drawer, against the fiberglass hull to store smal stuff like a hacksaw.
I actually kept an inventory book so that I could find stuff in really hidden spaces.
Attached is an example of one of my boats.
I cant find the other pics of the salon (living room), but the room is actually longer and the temporary chair was replaced with a smaller one.

Attachments

#20 ·
Living solely on a boat requires discipline....

Unlike having a home workshop which you can leave cluttered without having a shipwreck. The boat must be functioning at all times whether at port or on the water. I would also think a watercraft on a river would have different needs and equipment than one on an open body like a large lake, I'm thinking Lake Michigan. I've only been a guest on a sail boat and a 55 ft steel hull house boat belonging to my Aunt and Uncle who was in the US Coast Guard and quite the mariner. My German Shepard needed special permission to come aboard..... :vs_cool:

Reactions: AwesomeOpossum74
#21 ·
He has everything except the most important, room to work. At least for me I may have more than one project, or different stages of a project going at the same time. I saw nothing for clamping areas, assembly, or finishing areas. Just lots of.....stuff.

#22 · (Edited)
@woodnthings This was my last boat. It is a36' cruiser well laid out. It was my first power boat.
Before that was always sailboats.
And yes, we were always ready to go. Rivers and lakes have their own challenges but I liked sailing better.
My partner and I were unusual as far as live-aboards go. We never had extra 'stuff' as far as junk collecting. And our boat was always neat as a pin. No matter when someone came aboard, expexted or by surprise, we were always neat and ready to go. we never had clutter.
I got pretty creative at finding places for mechanics tools even if it meant hiding inside walls and under floor boards. Although i did have a special water tight storage area in the bilge for for storing wine.
The boat in the pic was mechanically sound when I bought it. The interior and exterior was an entirely differnt story. I paid $25K for it and in less than a year i added another $25 K to improvements, which is exactly what I planned on. Lots of work.
My most noticeable addition was the teak and holly floor in the photo. it was carpeted over bare ply when i bought it. I also made the settee in the photo also.
Most of the money went into a new inflatable dinghy w/10HP outboard motor ($6k) and also the Sunbrella and plastic outside enclosure also $6K. The rest of the money was mechanical, electrical and electronics upgrades.

#23 · (Edited)
OK, another workshop tour ......

Now, I don't care for this guy, he just rubs me the wrong way, BUT he has a very nicely equipped workshop and it's very well organized. He looks like he has plenty of working space for projects unlike Jacques shop. There's Part 1 and Part 2 videos:

#25 ·
Another workshop tour .....

This tour is done by Wood Whisperer of David Marks shop, a very creative guy:

#28 · (Edited)
Did you read his own story?

That guy is nothing more than a hoarder. That guy lives in pawn shops and yard sales.

When I see multiples of something that's not necessary you can tell.

I have multiples of things and I will decide whether they are "necessary"........ Thank You. Very few things in life are actually necessary, all the rest just supplement your life style, hobbies, dreams, etc. I have 6 guitars, so are they all necessary? I own 5 trucks, all needed? Nope. I have 10 routers, some are rarely used.... and so forth.

I don't think "blanket statements" are helpful, since they ignore the fact of the situation and are just somone's judgemental opinion.

You can be a "hoarder/collector" and still be a good woodworker. He was/is quite well known and respected for his woodworking. He claims to be a hobbiest, not a pro. He's been in the same basement shop for 25 years, so plenty of time to fill it up. I wouldn't deny anyone their enjoyment of their hobby, what ever form it takes.

Here's a description in his own words about how he got started and some good photos of the shop:
https://woodgears.ca/workshop/jacques/index.html

:vs_cool:

#29 · (Edited)
I have over 20 routers and enough senco nail guns to run several guys in a shop but I had a cabinet shop. But I still have this and don't need them. So I get it...

No problem but it's still hoarding.

Some guys are in it for the thrill of collecting. I get it ....

I bought a sander and a job box 2 weeks ago for $200. I have an edge sander so I didn't need it and i'm disabled now so I definetly don't need the job box....

So I get it....hard to let deals go. Now do I start selling this off to make room for actual building? I have an over load with Walnut right now in my shop it is consuming 1/4 of my shop. That's my hoard and all I build is small stuff. So what to do.....

I have the three headed router table plus a router table. Do I make cabinets anymore and need the three headed cabinet door router table. I don't know...I'm only 54. I JUST DON'T KNOW.....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.