Now I've got to climb into the back of the truck - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

View Derl's Photo Album My Photos
Now I've got to climb into the back of the truck

Now I've Got to climb into the back of the truck to get my bottle of bleach and two cans of green beans!

Did this ever happen to you? You come in from the grocery store or hardware and over half of what you bought and had in a plastic sack in now in the front of the bed of your truck. First off I have bad knees and I don’t enjoy crawling up in the bed of my pickup truck especially just to get something that was at/or near the tailgate when I left the store. So I did something about it. Here is what I did.
Now I've got to climb into the back of the truck-sam_1796.jpg
As I said before I have bad knees, so I put a sheet of ¾” plywood in the bed. This makes for a smooth surface when I do have to get in the bed on my knees. The bed has ridges in it to make it strong, and I being a metal worker most of my life, understand this. But the plywood is much easier to crawl on. (I also have a topper on this 1989 Chevrolet pickup.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1797.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	391531  

Name:	SAM_1798.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	391533  

Name:	SAM_1799.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	391535  

Name:	SAM_1800.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	391537  

Name:	SAM_1801.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	391539  

Name:	SAM_1802.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	391541  

Name:	SAM_1803.jpg
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	391543  

Name:	SAM_1804.jpg
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	391545  

faith michel likes this.

Derl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I always carry a bottle of water and a chain with me; along with a few other things.

A bottle jack, 2 X 6 blocks of wood for blocking, gloves, bungee cords, jumper cables, star wrench and trailer hitch ball assortment. All these go in my milk crate which is attached to the back corner by a bungee cord. I don’t go anywhere without this crate.

Most pickups have these ledges molded into the bed at the factory. These are perfect to lay a 2” X 6” board into for what ever you want to put on top of them. In my old pickup I have four on each side.
I took a 2 X 6 and cut it to fit from side to side then added a 1 X 6 to the back side. With barn door hinges I added a 1 X 8 and with more regular door hinges I added a 1 X 4. In this picture the 1 X 4 is turned under. Notice that the two boards fit between the fenders with a little clearance.

Next I took another 2x6 and cut it to fit and added a couple of blocks to get enough height to clear my milk crate. Remember I don’t go anywhere without my milk crate and bottle of water.

I thought it would be nice to have a shelf so I took a piece of ¼” plywood and added a few cleats to the underside of it and it became my shelf.
Turned over the cleats and edge board surrounds the second 2x6 that I put in. The front of the self lays on the first 2x6.

Everyone that sees this is amazed with it. I centered the shelf for the pictures but, if I have something that might slip off the edge, I slide the shelf over to one side and put a board that I cut to fit so nothing can fall off the shelf.

So now when I go get groceries or hardware they don’t wind up in the front of the truck bed.

[Sorry I don't know how to put the pictures in between the text, but I'm willing to learn.]

Derl
post #3 of 25 Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 PM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
It is a very smart solution sir... I think you should patent this .. The big car companies have to think about disabled and old people..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-26-2020, 09:57 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
your problem is why we have a Jeep Liberty and not a truck - we can always reach evertyhing.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #5 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 05:25 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
My brother put a long hook on the end of a pole to drag stuff out of the recesses of his truck bed. The hook might have been one of these:

post #6 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 08:16 AM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
I keep one of these in the bed of my truck.
No need to crawl around on my bad knees.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Access-Ac...caAr6zEALw_wcB
post #7 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 09:22 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I met a guy that mounted garage door roller rails to the floor of his pickup, and the wheel brackets to a 3/4x4x8 sheet of plywood that could extend out easily about 5'. I loaded 10 folding banquet tables and he just wheeled it into the truck like a big drawer. Very impressive!

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #8 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
I met a guy that mounted garage door roller rails to the floor of his pickup, and the wheel brackets to a 3/4x4x8 sheet of plywood that could extend out easily about 5'. I loaded 10 folding banquet tables and he just wheeled it into the truck like a big drawer. Very impressive!
That is a great idea too Gary! I've had this made for about 20 years now and really do like it. The 1x8 and the 1x4 lift up out of the way due to the hinges in case I want to put some sheet goods in the bottom. My wife's folding wheelchair fits nicely on the shelf also.

Derl

Last edited by Derl; 06-27-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added words
post #9 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
I keep one of these in the bed of my truck.
No need to crawl around on my bad knees.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Access-Ac...caAr6zEALw_wcB
Yeah, I have a hook on a pole too. Mine is made from an old fishing rod with a hook made from a peg board hanger.
Now I've got to climb into the back of the truck-sam_1807.jpg
Sleeper and mjadams61 like this.

Derl

Last edited by Derl; 06-27-2020 at 11:37 AM.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 12:07 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
your problem is why we have a Jeep Liberty and not a truck - we can always reach evertyhing.
there is something very satisfying in sliding in half a dozed sheets of plywood and closing the tailgate of my longbed truk
and you probably have a friend with a pickup you call when needed, i know many who call me
Derl and mjadams61 like this.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 12:34 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
I've owned a truck since I got out of the Army in 75.
Nearly every weekend someone needed a truck so my weekends were consumed helping others.
When I needed help they were had to find. I learned to say no.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Nearly every weekend someone needed a truck so my weekends were consumed helping others.
Like the bumper sticker says

"Yes, that is my truck.
No, I will not help you move."

BTW - I had a truck with a shell, once. Never again. I put a piece of Baltic Birch inside the shell. To get it out I had to lie on my back, under the BB, balance the sheet on my knees and hand over hand slide the sheet out. At 70 I was too old for that poop.

BTW2-I ordered retractable under bed steps on my aluminum F-150. Getting in and out of the bed is so easy now. I do have the step in the tail gate but never found it necessary to use it.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #13 of 25 Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Buy tailgate extender. Usually found on Craigslist for around $50 Used. It will fit at the rear (outboard) end of your bed. One direction will have it laying on your open tailgate. The other direction will use same pivot point on rear of your bed and will extend inboard about a foot and a half. In this orientation, dont forget to put the tailgate back up again.
They are vehicle specific For instance, one will be for Fords and another will be for Chevs
Attached Images

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #14 of 25 Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Truck+Bed+Slides

Solved a long time ago...
mjadams61 likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo415 View Post
Echo415, this is not about a $1600.00 slide for the back of your truck. This is more about not allowing the items to roll to the front of the truck bed in the first place. It is also about using what you have and not having to go out and buy something. All of my pieces can be remove in about 2 minutes.
OK I'm off my soapbox now!

Derl
post #16 of 25 Old 06-28-2020, 12:59 PM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I had a box van with a hydraulic tailgate. Lots of friends who needed/wanted me to help, but few returned the favor, so I learned to say "No" too. I owned a vending machine company and needed the truck mostly for that, but the tailgate made a great adjustable height workbench for the weekend projects. I no longer own the truck or the company, but now own a king cab pickup, and the space behind the seat holds all of the small stuff, mostly in milk crates, so I can move or remove them easily. The truck has no cap, and it's a 1994 Dakota, so I can reach almost anything placed in the back without hooks or other methods. I still say "no", but don't even get asked much any more.

Charley
mjadams61 and NoThankyou like this.

Last edited by CharleyL; 06-28-2020 at 01:05 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-28-2020, 08:49 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
I had the same problem and I found a free scrap piece of commercial indoor/outdoor carpet to fit the back of my truck from my office when they replaced the carpet. I had a long reach fiberglass high voltage stick which was light and easy to used to push things forward and also pull things out the back. The carpet made things slide easily across the bed and helped my knees if I had to go in. I used cardboard on top of the carpet when I was loading brick or concrete blocks which also worked great.

JohnnyB
I’m a die hard DIY guy. Don’t tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-28-2020, 11:37 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derl View Post
Echo415, this is not about a $1600.00 slide for the back of your truck. This is more about not allowing the items to roll to the front of the truck bed in the first place. It is also about using what you have and not having to go out and buy something. All of my pieces can be remove in about 2 minutes.
OK I'm off my soapbox now!
@Derl, I'm not telling you to get a $1600 slide...I'm telling you that someone in the past had the same problem and solved it by creating a platform that slides out enabling you to reach everything in the bed of your truck.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-03-2020, 10:57 AM

View FlyingHammer's Photo Album My Photos
Worst phrase ever uttered by man: I'm retired and I own a truck.
post #20 of 25 Old 07-03-2020, 09:10 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I use one of those $8 plastic tubs with a lid..it's ok if it slides around since it's easy to grab and move. The Mrs. still thinks that I don't mind digging cans out from under car seats. Hint: I freaking hate it!

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode