Not quite a woodworking question, but... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Not quite a woodworking question, but...

This isn't exactly a woodworking question, but people here know more about glue than anywhere else I can think of.

My wife has a ceramic flower vase that she loves, but it leaks (more accurately weeps). It's square in section and I suspect it was put together of flat pieces of clay rather than being turned of one piece of clay. There are no cracks, so it looks like the glaze didn't properly fuse in the corners of the bottom and that's why it leaks (seeps). So, I want to pour something in there to seal it up. I'm debating between CA and low viscosity epoxy. I'm thinking the CA would penetrate better, but the epoxy would seal better. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 11:43 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
There are many liquid/paint type sealers on the market you can use.
Many of these sealers are made to make showers water proof.
You only need a very small amount, so maybe you could use the remainder in other applications.
You can pour a small amount into the vase, swish it around, pour it out and allow to dry thoroughly.
Maybe do this twice for a total seal.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 11:44 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
There are many liquid/paint type sealers on the market you can use.
Many of these sealers are made to make showers water proof.
You only need a very small amount, so maybe you could use the remainder in other applications.
You can pour a small amount into the vase, swish it around, pour it out and allow to dry thoroughly.
Maybe do this twice for a total seal.
I've used Red Guard which is available at the Home Depot.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The clerk at your store should be able to advise you.

One of the biggest ads on TV these days is for Flex Seal.

George
post #5 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 01:17 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

One of the biggest ads on TV these days is for Flex Seal.

George
I dunno George. Relying on the store clerk's advice sounds kind of risky at best. It kind of depends on the store and the clerk. That's kind of like hoping the person at the drive through window at Wendys will be able to explain exactly how to bake bread from scratch the first time using a microwave oven and a q-tip to stir the batter.
Then again you might get lucky the first time.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 01:53 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
This isn't exactly a woodworking question, but people here know more about glue than anywhere else I can think of.

My wife has a ceramic flower vase that she loves, but it leaks (more accurately weeps). It's square in section and I suspect it was put together of flat pieces of clay rather than being turned of one piece of clay. There are no cracks, so it looks like the glaze didn't properly fuse in the corners of the bottom and that's why it leaks (seeps). So, I want to pour something in there to seal it up. I'm debating between CA and low viscosity epoxy. I'm thinking the CA would penetrate better, but the epoxy would seal better. Any thoughts?
I'm a big fan CA glue. You will want to do several thin coats, and I might finsh by using a thick coat and kicker. Highly recomend Zap-a-gap and the tiny nozzles for it, Zends.
http://************/zwbtpg4

also having good results with:
http://************/h3govmm

Epoxy- if you try this, might not want to use low-viscosity because you want penetration. Try a thin mix, apply, then wait, stir remaining with a toothpick or similar. The remaining will start to stiffen up and when it's to your liking dab some of the now stiffer epoxy onto the gap where it will stick well to the epozy that soaked in.

CA is easier.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 02:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you'll need a bunch of whatever.....

You will want enough to slosh around all the corners and up inside. I'm thinkin' about 1/2 or 1/3 of a cup. CA in that quantity may be expensive. Epoxy in that quantity may be difficult to slosh around unless it's thin enough. I did a bit of ceramics in school and glazing was the most fun because you almost never knew how it would turn out. Many different formulas if I recall.

The issue is whether you want a exothermic mixture or an air dry... I donno? You don't have leaks per se, just weeps, so the gaps aren't very large. I would think several thin coats of poly or shellac may work?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 04:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Glaze is normally put on pottery before it is fired. At this point I would try dripping drops of CA on the suspected spot. I think CA glue would peal off on the surrounding glazed material but the CA would penetrate the void and bond. There are ceramic coatings which you could put in and slosh around but they are pretty expensive so I don't know if I would go that route. Someone suggest Flex Seal. If it happens to actually work the way it's advertised on TV that might work.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 04:24 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I dunno George. Relying on the store clerk's advice sounds kind of risky at best. It kind of depends on the store and the clerk. That's kind of like hoping the person at the drive through window at Wendys will be able to explain exactly how to bake bread from scratch the first time using a microwave oven and a q-tip to stir the batter.
Then again you might get lucky the first time.
Well, I am relying on a person being smart enough to be able to tell if they have a knowledgeable clerk or not. If you are not capable of that then it is best that you go somewhere else.

George
post #10 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 05:50 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
George
I agree with George. I go to both of the big box stores enough to recognize the regulars. One lady in particular works in the paint department and other departments also. She is very knowledgeable. On the other hand, there is a guy at the other store that, although wheel chair bound, is an excellent resource for them to have, and me too.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 08:22 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
You could check with a local pottery artist. They might be able to apply a coat of glaze to the inside of the vase and refire it.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-26-2016, 09:57 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a CA fan and I think it would work. I don't know how big a vase you have but it might take quite a bit. The cheapest place to buy CA is www.starbond.com. They have kicker also. Maybe spray kicker on the inside before the CA, then slosh some super thin CA around inside. The kicker will help set it up quicker and not leak to the outside. Maybe even spray kicker outside so if it seeps through, it don't run all over. Good luck.

My wife had a ceramic bird bath that was cracked 1/2 way across it and I let it dry good and then used the super thin ca and it now holds water.

Starbonds web site is under construction and not totally done but you can call them.

They have those little nozzels and other empty glue and spray bottles also.

Last edited by tewitt1949; 12-26-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode