noob: timber to table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

View xav_B's Photo Album My Photos
noob: timber to table top

Hi,

I'd like to make a table, and the hardware store here has this wood (image 1) and I'd like to turn that into a table top, somewhat like image 2.

i'm a total noob, so i've been pretty unsuccessful googling for answers. Thing is wood looks really raw, and i'm not sure what type of wood its is either, and I don't know how to treat it.

I guess it needs sanding done, and staining, and some wood conditioner prior to staining? ya i'm a noob
If this is possible, any information would be appreciated, or some pointers in the right direction:)

thanks very much
xav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2015, 05:30 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a good primer on wood stability. I often use construction grade lumber for projects, but you have to have an understanding of how it's going to react and how to choose the right piece for the right application...
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 12:40 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
The lumber you pictured is rough sawn hemlock and it's probably green. This is not something you can make furniture from. it will shrink, twist and warp like you can't believe. Many of the black knots will work loose, some will fall out. The table you linked is about 3" thick, the lumber you linked is only 2". The extra thickness adds stability to that construction. With that design and that lumber, you are way behind the eight ball before starting. I would start looking for some 3" pine that is reasonably dry if you want to proceed and get that look. There is quite a lot to making that table but proper lumber selection is the first step and you need to know what to look for and how to look at each board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

View xav_B's Photo Album My Photos
Awesome links and information, got some new keywords too! Glad I didn't go down the trial and error route, of what would be severe errors.
Thanks again guys for both your help. It has definitly led me in the right direction, will carry on researching in choosing lumber, and will try some other suppliers.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 10:25 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Yep---that's some rough lumber and would require smoothing before you glue it up---

See if you have a good lumber yard or better yet a hardwood supply house near by---

Many hardwood companies also offer gluing and wide belt sanding services.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode