newby here with a hopefully simple question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

View Matthieu van Kints's Photo Album My Photos
newby here with a hopefully simple question

hey guys and gall's

a newby here with a rather difficult question with hopefully simple answer.

i'm looking for a way to cut a piece of wood in half.. i already hear you thinking well that is what saws were invented for a few thousand years ago. well i get that part but i would like to cut the woodsheet in half through the thickness of the piece. which is 16mm.

this beacuse i would like to router a cable gutter though the shape i cut out (indeed, it's not a square, rather a biological shape) which i could not drill for obvious reasons (not going an a straight line).afterwards i wood like to glue the pieces back together so i can run the cable through.

but what is a good simple way to cut this pieces of wood in two.

i hope i explained myself properly and that it is understood.

kind regards

Matthieu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
A bandsaw is the best tool for the job. Since it isn't very tall a tablesaw would work, but you'll have to cut from both sides.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
How wide and long is the piece you plan to cut? A bandsaw is usually the tool of choice to resaw a board to a thinner dimension, however, most bandsaws don't resaw boards over 6" wide and the difficulty increases if your board is very long.

Edit - hwebb - I guess we were typing at the same time but same response

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

the main part would be around 4 by 3- 2,5" but it has some pointy bits sticking ouut increasing the length and the width without giving it really more mass. when at home i can post some pics.

a bandsaw would indeed do the trick i believe but usually these teething are quite large. might be some issues with the pointy bits.
and with procuring one to use locally.

IF any other options are available with more common available tools i would appreciate the suggestion.
The table saw suggestion is something i would not prefer.

kind regards.

Matthieu
post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You can use a Japanese type pull saw with good results IF you must cut the piece down it's edge. Without access to a bandsaw it will take some time, but it's doable. If the pointed pieces may break off, then a handsaw would be the most delicate method. A woodworking vise will hold the piece while you saw part way through, then keep rotating it and use a narrow shim when tightening it on the saw kerf to avoid pinching the blade.

Another suggestion is to drill from either end and connect in the center If that's possible?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can use a Japanese type pull saw with good results.
weel i'm not familiar with this. but i'll definately look into it!

Quote:
If the pointed pieces may break off, then a handsaw would be the most delicate method.
indeed a manual methode would be my preferres choice.

Quote:
use a narrow shim when tightening it on the saw kerf to avoid pinching the blade.
nice tip! thanks!

Quote:
Another suggestion is to drill from either end and connect in the center If that's possible?
Quote:
unfortunately this is not possible, it needs to be more like a Z shape. I allreadyt considered that.
Kind regards

Matthieu
post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 11:42 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
For cutting such thin pieces, I find a metal hacksaw with a thin blade most useful. It keeps the blade straight, which will not happen when you are using a Japanese pull saw or any other handsaw.

Keep thy axe sharp.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 04:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you are so wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig_saw View Post
For cutting such thin pieces, I find a metal hacksaw with a thin blade most useful. It keeps the blade straight, which will not happen when you are using a Japanese pull saw or any other handsaw.
Any push type saw will have issues because you are essentially "bending" the blade each time you push on it. Try pushing on a rope... can't do it. The thinner the blade, the more it will "deflect" under a pushing pressure.

However under pulling tension, as with a Japanese pull saw the blade will "self straighten". IF you reverse the blade in the hack saw from normal and turn it into a pull saw, it will work better. If you don't, you will need a whole lot of tension on that blade to maintain any "beam strength". This is why bandsaws need a greater amount of tension to keep them cutting straight when resawning thicker stock. I own 7 bandsaws, so I know of what I speak.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 11 Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 PM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds like you already have the shape cut out. Also sounds like you're using plywood? If you're using plywood, I would consider using thinner plywood, say about 1/3 the final thickness, cut the shape out of the center piece, then glue them all together. You could also maybe use plywood that is half the final thickness - it'd be a little more difficult then, as you'd have to chisel/router out the shape on one or both pieces, then glue together.

Last edited by jeremymcon; 05-12-2016 at 09:12 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Indeed i allready cut out the shape. but it't not a plywood. it's full thickness strips of bamboo glue and pressed together.

also another choice of base material is no option as all other parts are made out of this so i would like to keep it all the same.

i do believe the japanese saw will do a fine job, specially with the splint in the cut. i'm currently looking into which to buy.
i believe that to be wurth it as such a saw will help me in more instances than just now.

i will let you know how it turned out

Kind regards

Matthieu
post #11 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am curious how he is going to hold this thing while cutting. A vise will work at the start, but he will reach a point where that will not work.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode