Newbie Woodbutcher here with a question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

View sappergeorge's Photo Album My Photos
Newbie Woodbutcher here with a question

I do not think I have made it to the woodworker title yet but here goes:

I am making a 6 drawer dresser and made the boxes for the drawers and cut out the 6 faces that will go over the drawers.

Well, I brad nailed the faces to the drawers and apparently I cut them to large so now they wont close and overlap each other.

Without removing the faces how can I remove some of the wood, about 1/4" from the top on each face?

I tried a sander, takes too long and also a hand planer, which also takes too long, cheap lowes special. I have a router and was wondering if there is a bit that can accomplish this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
You COULD do it with a router and an edge guide, or a router and a router table, but a table saw would work best.

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
table saw and fence would be ideal, but you didn't mention that one. maybe you have a friend with one. otherwise router it is. you need a straight cutting bit with a bearing above the cutter head (not at the end of the bit), i think they call them pattern cutters. clamp a sraight edge to the face of the drawer where you want the new cut to be and the router bit bearing will guide along the straightedge while cutting your drawer material. note a 1/4" may be a lot to remove in one pass maybe take off 1/8" at a time, or less, for final pass on figured wood.

Last edited by TimPa; 02-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

View sappergeorge's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks so far but I wanted to trim these pieces without removing them from the drawers and thats why I thought I should ask first.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 01:55 AM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
The table saw if by far the easiest way to trim your drawer fronts without removing them. You could also remove the drawer faces and trim them ...and put them back together using screws from the inside.
Using a router and straightedge will also work but will be more difficult and time consuming.

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2010, 07:37 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
If you use a table saw, you wil be standing the drawer up on edge. Use extreme care or it will rip out of your hands. Dry a dry run first to make sure you can hold the drawer steady - very steady. I have done it before as most people on here probably have also. Just be careful.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sappergeorge View Post
I do not think I have made it to the woodworker title yet but here goes:

I am making a 6 drawer dresser and made the boxes for the drawers and cut out the 6 faces that will go over the drawers.

Well, I brad nailed the faces to the drawers and apparently I cut them to large so now they wont close and overlap each other.

Without removing the faces how can I remove some of the wood, about 1/4" from the top on each face?

Thanks.
I had similar issues building my work bench, and the best solution I found was to use the tablesaw and fence. Stand the drawers up with the face down to the table. Set your fence to remove the amount you need, and slide the drawer through carefully. You may need to take a little off each edge to get where you want to be.

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode