New to woodworking, simple joinery question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

View Negativecreep0's Photo Album My Photos
New to woodworking, simple joinery question

I want to build a simple floating long cabinet for a wall

this will support wine bottles and a touchscreen pc monitor, so its purpose is to hold some decent weight.........

is this the proper way to join the pieces?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
No, it does not look like it is.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Look here for plans

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&g..._rfai=&start=0

find something you like then we can talk about joinery. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

What your sketch shows is a simple idea. If you can elaborate on a few details it would help. For instance, what exactly do you mean by "floating".

What materials and thicknesses are you considering. When discussing joinery, the discussion should include what is feasible for your skills and tools. Pieces have to be brought together where they meet, and there are a few ways to do that. Your drawing only showed pieces butted to each other with no details.

Depending on the piece, materials, use, and other factors, the orientation of the individual pieces could be determined depending on the joints that would work.

post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

hey sorry for the lack on info, basically I will use Oak 3/4" thick, Im comfortable with butt end joinery or miter joinery, but would like to keep it as simple as possible, I will be making a face fram to cover any joinery anyway............ by floating cabinet I mean it will be attatched to the wall floating above ground, it will be secured to the wall through the back wood panel into the wall studs........ I will use it for holding a touchscreen monitor and inside of it will be a mini pc and amplifier...........
post #6 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This one is similar

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vide...v-cabinet.html
maybe? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM

View Keith W's Photo Album My Photos
I would think some dovetails would do the trick, and it gives you an excuse to buy new tools (either dovetail saw or router and jig).
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
European cabinets I've seen and all of them I've made are made with butt joints. Add a center partition, a full 19mm back, and assemble with confirmat screws. Overbuild the faceframe. Lag to all three walls. If it's only on one wall . . . don't let any children play under it.

The other way to make it strong and cantilever 18" from the wall with a load is to make it out of 1/4" cold rolled steel, welded at the corners with a steel back. Then just cover the steel box with wood and finish as usual using standard professional wood finishing materials and practices. Fasten to the wall using lag bolts and washers.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
How much weight is this going to have to support?

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I would offer my opinion against the butt or miter joint idea. I think you should use a joint with more mechanical strength. What tools do you have access to so we can offer more options. How much wine are you gonna store in this case? You have essentially a box on the sketch, so I'd be thinking about how some of the stronger boxes or drawers are made. Dovetails, lock miters, rabbets, etc.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys so I have access to a router, miter saw, table saw,circular saw, jigsaw............ I found this cabinetry 101 instructional

http://woodworking.about.com/od/wood...s/cabinets.htm

thats exactly what I want my cabinet to look like, its gonna hold maybe 80 lbs to 100lbs max, in the example above they used a french pleat system to attach to the wall........... because of this they did not have a back added to the cabinet..... I just need advice on the proper way to join the pieces? this article uses rabbet and dado....
post #12 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativecreep0 View Post
Hey guys so I have access to a router, miter saw, table saw,circular saw, jigsaw............ I found this cabinetry 101 instructional

http://woodworking.about.com/od/wood...s/cabinets.htm

thats exactly what I want my cabinet to look like, its gonna hold maybe 80 lbs to 100lbs max, in the example above they used a french pleat system to attach to the wall........... because of this they did not have a back added to the cabinet..... I just need advice on the proper way to join the pieces? this article uses rabbet and dado....
It's called "french cleat". They did use a back (1/4"). A back will help square the cabinet and tie the back edges together.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 PM

View chili cook's Photo Album My Photos
If your putting a face frame on it ,I don't think you can go wrong wit simple "Dado nad Rabbitt joints with a french cleat Should be fine Or atleast thats what I'd do

Chili

I nailed my wood-shop test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode