New to Woodworking. A couple questions about buying lumber. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View Chrislw324's Photo Album My Photos
New to Woodworking. A couple questions about buying lumber.

I'm pretty new to woodworking. So far, all of my projects have been made with dimensional wood from home centers like Home Depot and Menards.
I want to make a hallway table out of maple and walnut, but can't seem to find the boards I need. I can readily find 2x2x8 boards in pine and oak,
but if I want to have walnut or maple legs that are 2 x 2, is my only option to by a slab or bigger board and cut it down to the size I want?

What's the general opinion about ordering lumber online? I see 8/4 walnut and maple online, but I'm not sure what will show up at my door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
If you tell us what part of the country you live in someone living nearby might be able to tell you of local sources.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

View Chrislw324's Photo Album My Photos
I'm from Indianapolis Indiana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
A quick search on google maps shows at
least 7 hardwood suppliers in and near Indianapolis.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 12:03 PM

View mackman's Photo Album My Photos
To answer your question, I've never seen a lumber yard that offers "dimensional lumber" in maple, oak, etc. The best you're likely to find is wood of random widths that's planed to 7/8 inches for 4/4 stock (meaning 1 inch thick pieces of wood), and probably 14/8 or 15/8 inches for 8/4 stock (meaning 2 inch thick pieces of wood). And even that may well vary depending on the lumber yard you're looking at. And unless you're specifically ordering leg blanks online, you'll be getting the same thing. So yes, your only option for your walnut or maple legs is going to be buying a larger piece of 8/4 stock and cutting it down to width with a table saw or circular saw and guide. And that's definitely what you should do!

I was in your exact position about 2-3 years ago: I had done some projects with Home Depot wood, and I wanted to branch out and try something new. So I just typed "lumber yard" into google maps, found 3 or 4 likely places, and checked them out! I advise you to do the same. For one thing, the prices at lumber yards where I live are about half what they are at Home Depot, and I'll bet you will be in even better shape. It's a fantastic experience, you'll learn a lot, and soon you'll have your go-to spots, as well as the opportunity to check out all kinds of different woods. Just make sure to find a place that offers pre-planed, ready-to-use wood, since I doubt you have a planer (yet!).

Mackenzie Mulligan of Mulligan Woodworking!

Follow along in my journey from amateur to slightly less so at my blog!
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 03:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have ordered wood on line from www.walllumber.com. Eveerything I have gotten from them has been of very good quality. One thing that they have that is often difficult to find is wood that is in thinner dimension. eg. 1/4" 3/4" 1/2".

They sell in many different lot sizes. Some of their project bundles are especially good deals.

Someone stated that most yards sell only thicker than 3/4". The major local yard that I buy from only sells s2s in 3/4".

George
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
It might help to know which tools you have available to use. Do you own a circular saw? A table saw? A bandsaw? A jointer or a planer? A router?

I am not a fan of buying wood online. Shipping is expensive, and you can't look at it first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode