New woodworker; Advice on smoothing top of workbench? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmishElectricCo

post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

View njohnsoncs's Photo Album My Photos
New woodworker; Advice on smoothing top of workbench?

Hi,

I just started woodworking and just joined this forum. My first project is to build a workbench. I decided to build the following workbench: http://www.modernbuilds.com/workbench. The top consists of 20 2x4s glued face to face. I didn't do a good job gluing (my first time...). I used too much glue and didn't wipe it up before it dried so now the top has dried glue all over it. Even worse, when I clamped everything, a couple of the boards slide up so now the top is really uneven and a few boards are about 1/4" higher than the rest.

My question is: what is a good way to smooth the top? My main concern is smoothing the boards which slide up about 1/4". Any ideas?

Thanks!
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
What tools do you have to work with?
Any hand planes, belt sander, router, etc...? What do you think you have that would work?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 10-02-2018, 10:18 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You could buy or rent a power plane and plane it level.
Use a long straight edge to mark low spots and high spots.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.carpenter00 View Post
What tools do you have to work with?
Any hand planes, belt sander, router, etc...? What do you think you have that would work?

Thanks for asking. I don't have a lot right now as I'm only buying when I need tools for a new project. I was thinking I could use a rip saw or flush-trim pull saw I have on the boards that are sticking out 1/4 inch and then use a #4 bench plane, portable belt sander, and/or finishing sander after that. I was also thinking of using a 1" chisel to remove the dried glue before doing any of that.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2018, 11:20 PM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe consider a router as your first major tool purchase. Search "router sked" on "you tube" and you will find plenty of videos that explain how to flatten a bench top.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 04:18 AM

View Littlefield's Photo Album My Photos
I made a bench just like that years ago. I took it to a shop that had a big abrasive plane and they ran the whole thing through it. Itís getting a little raggedy, Iím going to take it apart and have it touched up before I start projects next year. Super solid and flat.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 05:56 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnsoncs View Post
use a rip saw or flush-trim pull saw I have on the boards that are sticking out 1/4 inch.
That would be pretty difficult.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Dried glue is hard on the cutting edges of your tools so you need to scrape off as much as you can before you start. I use a scraper like this

https://www.rockler.com/hand-tools/w...e-edge-scraper

It makes fast work of removing the glue and your hands donít get banged up.

A well tuned hand plane in the hands of an experienced woodworker would make short work of the 1/4 inch difference in height. A newby would have a bit more difficulty.

You could take it to a Woodworking business and have them sand it flat, but 1/4 inch of sanding would require several passes.

Next time, glue just a few boards together at a time.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Since 2x4's are made for framing and not bench tops I would run them edgewise through a planer and remove the rounded corners on the boards. It might be more difficult to find but the bench top would be better if you used yellow pine 2x4's. Yellow pine is harder than the SPF 2x4's which are common.
Since the boards won't be perfectly straight you might use cauls when you make the glue up. Then once glued up I would use a belt sander to flatten and smooth the surface. Sand it cross grain first and then with the grain.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 12:46 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Since 2x4's are made for framing and not bench tops I would run them edgewise through a planer and remove the rounded corners on the boards. It might be more difficult to find but the bench top would be better if you used yellow pine 2x4's. Yellow pine is harder than the SPF 2x4's which are common.
Since the boards won't be perfectly straight you might use cauls when you make the glue up. Then once glued up I would use a belt sander to flatten and smooth the surface. Sand it cross grain first and then with the grain.
And since itís so uneven, if you use a belt sander instead of a power plane, I suggest you use 36 grit sanding belts to get it even to start with.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #11 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 PM

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
Step 1: Get a #5 Jack Plane
Step 2: Elbow grease

That's how I did it.

Once you're starting to get close to flat, take some time off and make yourself a pair of winding sticks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180716_195600.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	366846  

gmercer_48083 likes this.

⚡ Anthony
post #12 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
And since itís so uneven, if you use a belt sander instead of a power plane, I suggest you use 36 grit sanding belts to get it even to start with.
I think you are right if the person with the sander is good with it. 36 grit, if a person in inexperienced might make the top 1/4" thick somewhere.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I would love to make a router sled but I think that's beyond me right now. What do y'all think if I use a belt sander to roughly even the boards that are sticking up 1/4" and then use a #5 jack plane to smooth the everything after that?
post #14 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 PM

There is no reason you couldn't machine the top flat with the belt sander. Check it with a straight edge from time to time and be patient and you should be alright.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
I would lean towards the belt sander only because if you have to buy a tool to fix it, buy the most versatile one. Otherwise, I'd start with the plane. It would likely be faster than the sander, if the blade is sharp. But you probably won't plane much, if you've never done it before....

post #16 of 16 Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

OK. Since I already have the belt sander I will try that first. I have 36 grit sandpaper so hopefully that will work well. Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode