New to wood working - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By woodchux

post #1 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

View lilsullivan04's Photo Album My Photos
New to wood working

I have a Ryobi jig saw and Ryobi miter saw, Porter Cable router and table and I would like to get a table saw the Dewalt 745 I believe is that a good one to buy? Also what would be a good drill press to buy I've seen some at Harbor Freight but don't know which size to buy? I would like to buy a band saw as well. Any recommendations on the things I listed?

Also is this a good start up for wood working?

Thanks,
Jake

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The Delta 745 is intended for contractors to carry to jobsites to make a cut now and then. It's meant to be more portable than useful. A lot of thing you might do that saw would lack the power and accuracy to do. If you are not going to be moving it around you would be better off getting at least a contractor size saw. It will be heavier and would have more power. You also might get more saw for the buck buying used. Woodworking machinery tends to last for decades so if you can find a used saw which looks like someone took care if it it's unlikely you will have any problem with it.

Drill presses are pretty simple. I bought a cheap Taiwan made drill press from home depot in 1982 and I'm still using it. It has only needed repair because it was in a building the roof fell in on it. Try to buy one that is physically as big as you can and I don't mean the pipe it's mounted on. The motor size and weight will do more for you than anything.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The Delta 745 is intended for contractors to carry to jobsites to make a cut now and then. It's meant to be more portable than useful. A lot of thing you might do that saw would lack the power and accuracy to do. If you are not going to be moving it around you would be better off getting at least a contractor size saw. It will be heavier and would have more power. You also might get more saw for the buck buying used. Woodworking machinery tends to last for decades so if you can find a used saw which looks like someone took care if it it's unlikely you will have any problem with it.

Drill presses are pretty simple. I bought a cheap Taiwan made drill press from home depot in 1982 and I'm still using it. It has only needed repair because it was in a building the roof fell in on it. Try to buy one that is physically as big as you can and I don't mean the pipe it's mounted on. The motor size and weight will do more for you than anything.
Thank you I appreciate the input and I was looking at the Dewalt 745 table saw not the Delta. And I will look for used equipment but it's hard to trust Craigslist. As for the drill press Harbor Freight seems to have some good ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsullivan04 View Post
Thank you I appreciate the input and I was looking at the Dewalt 745 table saw not the Delta. And I will look for used equipment but it's hard to trust Craigslist. As for the drill press Harbor Freight seems to have some good ones.

Sorry, I was thinking Dewalt 745 and typed Delta 745.
lilsullivan04 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, I was thinking Dewalt 745 and typed Delta 745.
Would this be a good table saw for $250 Craftsman 113.299410

post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 08:15 PM

Yes, the craftsman would be a good saw for you, especially for that price.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the craftsman would be a good saw for you, especially for that price.
Sounds great thank you!

post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
A few other items to think about before you get too many WW "toys". Are the tools you have in good working condition? Do you have a designated area to do your projects? Enough electrical outlets? What type of projects do you hope to make now & in the future? Consider doing a measured floor plan (on graph paper). Draw in electrical outlets, windows, doorways, benches, work areas, etc. Measure the footprint of tools now & hope to have soon. What about storage for those bigger tools? Add wheels to the heavy items. IMO, getting organized will be helpful in your "start up woodworking". Be safe.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
A few other items to think about before you get too many WW "toys". Are the tools you have in good working condition? Do you have a designated area to do your projects? Enough electrical outlets? What type of projects do you hope to make now & in the future? Consider doing a measured floor plan (on graph paper). Draw in electrical outlets, windows, doorways, benches, work areas, etc. Measure the footprint of tools now & hope to have soon. What about storage for those bigger tools? Add wheels to the heavy items. IMO, getting organized will be helpful in your "start up woodworking". Be safe.
The tools I have now are in good working condition and I do need to do a layout. It will be in my garage. We have a three car garage one side is wider double door and the other side is a single door and that's where the "shop will be but I also want to make everything to be out of the way so my wifes car can park there. So maybe some folding work bench tables?

post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 08:50 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
A folding work bench is a good idea, but make it strong and sturdy to not "wiggle" when in use. Storage can be found anywhere - ceiling, walls, under benches, etc. Books and on line ideas are also available describing small area storage. Depending on your project needs now, consider buying those tools needed for completing the first projects. Always buy the best that fit your budget - and your work area. Enjoy your new WW adventures, and be safe.
lilsullivan04 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode