New Tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

View grbrico's Photo Album My Photos
New Tools

Well I have been on a buying spree of late. Bought me a new Craftsman Router Combo. Also bought a Craftsman Radial Arm saw off of a local for sale site. Paid 75.00 for it and it came with a new Freud blade plus all the manuals and the red plastic covered book for Radial saws. I checked on the recall and my saw does not qualify for the new blade guard. I'm going to make my own. Went to a estate auction and bought a old wood plane that is about 21 inches long and a craftsman 10" cast iron table saw. Got both for $26.00.

Also got some new clamps, fostner and brad point bit.
I think the first thing I'm going to do is build a table for the radial arm. It came with the original stand but no table.

Thanks to all the members for the great threads that have given me so much great info on woodworking and also the RAS (very much needed).

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 AM

View autre's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like your hands should be full for a while!

Take some time to clean/tune those babys up and get to know them better (familiarize) in the process.
Heck, you stole most of 'em! Nice scores.

Be safe.

Dan

Last edited by autre; 05-14-2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM

View MissionIsMyMission's Photo Album My Photos
I recommend using MDF for your RAS table. I laminate top and bottom with the 1/4" WHITE SHOWER Board using contact cement. Yields and 1 1/4" table top that is slick and stable. I also make a Mitered disposable center piece for when the blade destroys it. These drawings will hopefully help show what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIsMyMission View Post
I recommend using MDF for your RAS table. I laminate top and bottom with the 1/4" WHITE SHOWER Board using contact cement. Yields and 1 1/4" table top that is slick and stable. I also make a Mitered disposable center piece for when the blade destroys it. These drawings will hopefully help show what I mean.

Thank you!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
The book with the red plastic cover, has some interesting uses for the ras.
Good luck with it.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I got my table for the radial arm saw built today. For the front table I used some oak plywood that had. It is 17 1/4 x 35 1/4. I put the blade in the ripping position with the indicator set at 0. I lined up the back of the front table with the inside of the blade. I then marked the holes for the 1/4-20 bolts that will hold the table down to the stand. Once that was done I drilled the 6 holes for the t-nuts that will be used to level the table. I counter sunk the holes so that the t-nuts would be below the surface of the table. I then installed the front table. The next thing I did was remove the blade and turn the motor down toward the table. I moved the carriage to the six spots checking to see if the table was level. I used a scale to do this. I put the scale down on the table and lowered the motor down until the shaft touched the scale. I lowered it until there was a little friction on the scale when I moved it between the table and motor shaft. I did this at all six points on the table until all six spots were the same. It took a few tries doing this. The fence and the back table were the next thing to be done. I used oak also for these too. I am not doing the 3 part table since I will not be ripping on the radial arm. I made the back table 6 inches wide. Table and fence are both square with the blade. Over all I enjoyed building the table. It sure was hot in the garage LOL. Had to break out the old box fan. I read a lot of web pages and the manual that came with the saw to get down the method of how to do the table.
Tomorrow I am going to start building some corn hole boards for my brother. They really liked playing the game when they came up last week for my daughter's graduation.

Greg
post #7 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 PM

View vinnypatternmaker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrico View Post
Well I have been on a buying spree of late. Bought me a new Craftsman Router Combo. Also bought a Craftsman Radial Arm saw off of a local for sale site. Paid 75.00 for it and it came with a new Freud blade plus all the manuals and the red plastic covered book for Radial saws. I checked on the recall and my saw does not qualify for the new blade guard. I'm going to make my own. Went to a estate auction and bought a old wood plane that is about 21 inches long and a craftsman 10" cast iron table saw. Got both for $26.00.

Also got some new clamps, fostner and brad point bit.
I think the first thing I'm going to do is build a table for the radial arm. It came with the original stand but no table.

Thanks to all the members for the great threads that have given me so much great info on woodworking and also the RAS (very much needed).

Greg
Hi! Greg!
Isn't a big part of "woodfunning" (borrowed term from another's quote), is that once the woodworking part is over, woodfunning begins !
We love restoring old arn (woodfunning) so we can then use these new toys for woodworking...LOL !?!?! Make sense? I guess only if you're involved with this forum!
Both are really fun so long as all goes well!
Enjoy your newfound toys in safety !
Best,
Marena and Vinny

Last edited by vinnypatternmaker; 05-27-2012 at 11:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vinnypatternmaker For This Useful Post:
grbrico (06-11-2012)
post #8 of 9 Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Well I got my new blade for the RAS Saturday. I installed the blade and checked the alignment of the new blade with the table and the fence. Made my first cuts on two by fours and they came out really square. The cuts came out very clean also. I think I am going to really like using it.

I am looking at different hold down clamps to install on the table that will hold down the material while I am making the cut. Just trying to be as safe as possible.

Greg
post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 AM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats bud!

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode