New Shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 06-06-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
New Shop

The Time Has Come

It’s Finally Time for a New Shop
The time has come and we are ready to leave the comfort and safety of the state and national park systems. We have done enough traveling and volunteering for a while and time to settle down to have a shop and only travel about 4 months a year in the RV.
We decided to leave here (Birch Creek State Park - Somerville, Tx.) on July 9th. We will be going back to Dickinson, Tx. where we had lived for a while and I had shops in that area before. I called to make reservations for an RV park and there are no vacancies at this time. I am on a waiting list and assume that there will be some openings between now and the next 5 weeks. Then I called a self storage facility where I had a shop about 12 years ago. There are several vacancies for 11’ X 30’ units. The front is about 10’ high with roll-up entry, and slopes upward to the rear where the roof line is about 14’ high. While I was on the phone, the woman I was talking to actually pulled up my old records and gave me a 20% discount for coming back.
I am currently virtually tool-less. I have a fairly decent budget but it wont go far if I have to buy everything new.
So now, I will be asking questions on here about moving machines safely. I will be starting new threads for each type of machine so as not to have confusion in one thread.
it feels good to know that I am going to have a shop again.
faith michel and homestd like this.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-06-2020, 11:05 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
A crucial component of any shop is the workbench. Factor in the table saw or miter saw or any essential tool you decide must be part of your workshop... Then sit in the empty space and envision how these will work best. I've been in my 24' X 24' workshop for 19 years and I'm still re-configuring the shop from time too time - but the major components have remained in their original position.
Tony B likes this.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-06-2020, 11:16 PM
Just figuring it out

View Dave Mills's Photo Album My Photos
Best of luck with the new shop, Tony. What kind of power do they supply in a storage unit? I'd have thought just enough to power a single 60 watt light bulb :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-06-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

I have had a shop before in the same self storage facility and my old layout wot=rked out pretty good.
At the time, I was living and traveling on my boat and so when I settled in that area, I built a strage room in the rear of the unit. It was the fulll 11' width and came forward 8'. We kept a lot of seasonal stuff in there to reduce the load on the boat. We both cant stand clutter and tight packing. This go-around, I wont be needing that storage so I will in effect have another 8' depth that I didnt have previously. YAY - more floor space.
Properly organized, 11 x 30 is not a bad size. I always preferred long and narrow as opposed to squarish. Need the long and narrow for table saw, planer, RAS/Chop Saw.
My questions will be in separate threads based mainly on transporting machinery. First one will be posted in a few minutes, If I list them on here, the thread will get confusing and disorganizes.

Bernie, thanks for the reply.

post #5 of 24 Old 06-06-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
Best of luck with the new shop, Tony. What kind of power do they supply in a storage unit? I'd have thought just enough to power a single 60 watt light bulb :)
You thought right. Right now I have a small Honda 2K generator that I used on my boat, now it is in my RV. When not traveling, I will use it in the shop. It should power most tools like a table saw, lathe and most hand held tools.
When I get to a planer, I will have to buy a bigger generator. I will be the only one working in there, so the Honda 2K
will be OK for the first several months. Not sure if it will start up an Air Compressor though.

post #6 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Here is what my old shop used to look like when I first moved to this area. This is the same size unit I will be renting again the first photo shows the bay pretty much empty. The last 8' from the back wall is where i built a room to use for storage of boat stuff.
the next photo shows the room completed. Dead center of the photo above the door is a rope hanging from the roof beam with pulleys. The rope is attached to a pallet and this allowed me to raise heavy, bulky objects from the floor to the deck on top of the room.
The next photo shows most of the left side wall
The next photo shows the right side wall also my inflatable dinghy partly folded on the pallet suspended from the roof beam. That pallet lift set-up, got used a lot. The last photo shows the room under construction.
There were some changes around the shop but not that many. I'm pretty sure that the new layout will be similar but without the room. That should should give me an additional 8 foot in depth - more floor space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190002.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	390725  

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	390727  

Name:	P1010019.jpg
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	390729  

Name:	P6230029.jpg
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	390731  

Name:	P8230011.jpg
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	390733  

faith michel likes this.

post #7 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Oh Well, the photos didn't come out in order, but you get then idea.

In the 3rd photo, on the right hand side wall, you can see my vertical storage for plywood and other sheet goods

These 2 photos give a better overall look at the shop. From there, I just kept adding mor equipment.
This was just a place to play when not working offshore on the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico

If someone were to actually build a shop building, I would recommend long and narrow with high roof as being way better and more efficient than squarish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pic 1 (800 x 600).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	390735  

Name:	Pic 3B.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	390739  

faith michel likes this.

Last edited by Tony B; 06-07-2020 at 12:20 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
.................... sit in the empty space and envision how these will work best..
With luck, the space wont be empty for long.

post #9 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 07:01 AM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
I am so happy for you Tony.. Congratulations..
Will you build a new boat at your new workshop?
Where will you stay ?? Your RV or your new workshop ??
Is there clean water in your new workshop ??
And my last question
How much will you pay for to rent ??
For one month for a week or for one year???

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
post #10 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith michel View Post
I am so happy for you Tony.. Congratulations..
Will you build a new boat at your new workshop? Shop wont be big enough and I don't want to pay rent on another unit.
Where will you stay ?? Your RV or your new workshop ?? We will be staying in my RV about 15 minutes away from the shop.
Is there clean water in your new workshop ?? There is no water available in the shop, but a spigot about 60' away
And my last question
How much will you pay for to rent ?? I will rob a bank
For one month for a week or for one year??? The unit will be paid on a month to month basis. Stay as long as I want.

Hi Faith, how is your boat building project coming along? I havent noticed any posts on it in a while.
And, thanks for the Congrats.
faith michel likes this.

Last edited by Tony B; 06-07-2020 at 08:11 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 AM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
I miss to study lesson at school.. I miss to work at factory.. I miss everything.. We still stay at home under the quarantine.. I feeling so blue..
My Everythings (my projects my life ) stoped for f.......g virus ..

Take care Tony..Stay safe..

post #12 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I feel for you buddy.
I have been very fortunate so far during this pandemic. We have been living in my RV in a state park as volunteers. We are old, like 73 and 80, and we love maintenance projects. We help with the upkeep. Mowing, weedeating, trail maintenance and cut new trails, etc.
We are not confined unless you want to consider several thousand acres as confined. we have 4-wheelers at our disposal for work as well as trail riding for fun. There is about 40 miles of trails that interconnect the state land and federal land.We interface with other volunteers and state park personnel at a safe distance and with masks We have been very fortunate indeed, BUT...............
I still NEED to have a shop. It is a way of expressing myself.
Stay safe and hang in there. Everything eventually comes to an end, including the virus.
faith michel likes this.

Last edited by Tony B; 06-07-2020 at 09:25 AM.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 09:46 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I wondered about the electrical power also...

Your 2 K Honda may work for a while, but if it goes down, the entire shop is down. You probably need a plan "B". As far as needing a 52" rip capacity, which is determining your choices for a table saw, what is your reasoning? There was only one time in my entire woodworking "career" I used the fence 48" from the blade and that was just to see if it would work.
All the rest of the times I used my DIY crosscut guide for cutting down 4 X 8's OR a 8ft straight edge guide and one of my battery powered hand saws, a Milwaukee, a rigid, or the 24 volt Dewalt. Unless you are building cabinets all day long, I don't see the need for a 52" wide rip capacity. Most base cabinets are not taller than 36" from the floor, so that would be my maximum rip setting.

As days of lifting 4 X 8 sheets of anything thicker than 1/2" are all but over. Two saw horses, some 2 X's and the battery powered circ saw work for me. The barn door track was used as a straight edge guide the last time I ripped some 8 ft long 3/4" Maple ply for a built in shelf unit. This barn door track allows for a "F" clamp to slide inside underneath and clamp the track down at any point inside the track without being in the way at the side or on the top.

You will notice the that battery saws are a left blade on the Milwaukee and a right blade on the Rigid. Depending on your preference for moving the saw left to right or right to left against the guide, the motor housing needed to be on the opposite side from the track. Only the 1 1/2" saw base can go against the track. These photos were "staged", not the actual Maple plywood rip I mentioned above ....

My point to all this is that you can absolutely get by without the 52" rip capacity that seems to be determining your saw purchase. Here's the shop built crosscut guide thread I mentioned above ....
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/...ss-cuts-10476/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200516_144407.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	390755  

Name:	20200516_144353.jpg
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	390757  

Name:	20200516_135843.jpg
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	390759  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-07-2020 at 09:59 AM.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

hey Bill
If electricity goes down, there is no Plan B, unless I buy another generator, which eventually, I will. A planer or air compressor might be too much for the little 2K unit. When I get a second generator, the Honda 2K will stay with the RV which is in effect, with the shop if I am not traveling. Dont have anywhere in/on RV to carry anything bigger. The next generator will probably be around 6K. I understand that those HF Predator generators fair out pretty well. Just trying to decide if I really need electric start. Sure would be nice. I have had a pull start before, in my old shop, actually, the one in these photos, and never had a problem starting. Hurricane Ike came through here in I think 2008. The marina where my boat was at was flooded and when water subsided there was no electric for almost a month.
That is when the generator really came in handy. My boat electronics didnt like it, but I didnt need them while dockside.

As for my obsession with a 50-52" fence, I cut all different size stuff.
I normally keep my table saw about 4' away from the roll-up gate. When I unload plywood, I slide it straight onto the table saw and start my cutting if anything has to be cut. Generally 36" is probably better than 90%, but every so often, I need longer. I still have about 6 or 7 weeks to decide. I am still leaning toward the Laguna Fusion 2 even though it has only a 36" fence. they run at around $1400. The grizzly will cost be a little over $2K with tax, shipping, and all. I think the laguna is far superior in all other regards. I could be wrong. Hopefully, the right tool will come along when I need it.

Down here I will need several large fans also, for the summer heat. Then there is a matter of insurance. It never ends.
I will give you a call in the near future
take care.

post #15 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

@woodnthings
If you take the long edge that you lay your circ saw against, Glue/screw a strip of 1/4" ply or MDF under it and extend out about 2" from the outer edge. Then run your circ saw exactly like you normally do and cut. The edge will be your new mark. Instead of measuring 1 1/2", just lay the new edge against your cut line.

post #16 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 12:53 PM
where's my table saw?

That works with a wood guide, not metal with a slot ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
@woodnthings
If you take the long edge that you lay your circ saw against, Glue/screw a strip of 1/4" ply or MDF under it and extend out about 2" from the outer edge. Then run your circ saw exactly like you normally do and cut. The edge will be your new mark. Instead of measuring 1 1/2", just lay the new edge against your cut line.

Yep, I've done that before a few times, but using the barn door sliding track won't allow for that. I know that my marks are 1.5" from the actual cut line AND I make a small trial kerf before actually cutting on the material.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #17 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

maybe if you had a 52" saw fence, you might not need it?
Just sayin' LOL
Sorry, couldn't help it.

post #18 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 01:05 PM
where's my table saw?

I actually have more than 52" capacity .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
maybe if you had a 52" saw fence, you might not need it?
Just sayin' LOL
Sorry, couldn't help it.

More than 52"?

post #19 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I should have known better.
woodnthings likes this.

post #20 of 24 Old 06-08-2020, 10:27 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
A shop this size (or for any shop really) a track saw is a very good way to go with sheet goods.

I rarely cut anything over 36" wide on my table saw.

Since we're showing off our tables saws.....:-D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	390855  

woodnthings likes this.

Robert

Last edited by DrRobert; 06-08-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode