Woodworking Talk banner

New shop!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  woodnthings 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Im currently in the process of buying a new house, and that will get me a full 2 car garage for my wood shop! Sadly, I cannot vent my dust collection to the outside, so I will still have my cyclone and dust stuff inside. But, I'm looking for some lay out pictures. If you guys have a shop this size, send some pictures my way! I will either be making a new, or relocating my miter saw station to the new house, which includes about 20 drawers (look up Jay Bates Miter Saw Station). But other than that, Im open to any and all suggestions.

Tools:
Table saw
band saw
rolling sanding/air cleaner cart
miter saw
drill press
planer
jointer (bench top)
Hand tools (plan to make a tool wall for these)
At least 2 benches.. one as an outfeed/assembly table, and plan to make a handtool bench shortly
dust collection (cyclone w/ barrel for collection, motor, filter and bag (harbor freight system with a dust deputy pre seperater))

See less See more
#2 ·
Why can't you vent outside?

It's the best way to avoid breathing the micron sized dust that goes through all but the most expensive HEPA filters. If noise is the problem, there are ways to muffle the exhaust, like for instance a length of the spring coil type insulated AC duct installed in the exhaust line. An outside wooden baffle to direct the exhaust down toward the ground helps too, but it should be over sized so as not to restrict the exhaust air flow. My dust collector's exhaust points toward the lake and away from all neighbors except for the geese, and I don't care if it drives them away. At my neighbor's pool it can be heard, but it isn't objectionable. My house is on the side of my shop opposite the pool and it can be heard from outside the house, but a truck crossing the bridge on the other side of the lake is frequently louder than my dust collector's exhaust.

Charley

#4 · (Edited)
Shop layouts are very specific .......

I wouldn't know where to begin on a shop layout for a space unless I knew where the windows and doors were and other uitlities. If you are asking about specfic tools like the table saw, RAS or miter saw and their locations, again very specific.

Shops "evolve" rather than are designed on paper. Once you know the longest length of wood you intend to rip or plane that sets up those parameters. I once had to plane a 16 ft long piece in my shop that measures 25 X 29. Obviously 32 ft was needed and then some, so the planer got angled, temporarily, and I got the job done. Other times I had to let pieces extend out the French doors for longer rips. Lumber storage racks should be on casters in case there needs to be temporary changes, as should all "stationary" power tools, which is an oxymoron.

I guess if you think about jointing, then ripping an 8 ft length, then planing or drum sanding it in that order, how would you do it? Then arrange your tools to suit. Remember, you always want a straight edge against the fence and a flat surface on the table when you are ripping for safety reasons!

Reactions: gmercer_48083
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.