New Ridgid Shop Vac-Too Good? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
New Ridgid Shop Vac-Too Good?

So I generally buy the best tool for a job I can afford at the time but this time I might have out-thought myself
I have an older dewalt orbital sander that is still pretty good but I got to thinking I could take the dust bag off and maybe hook up a vacuum. So I hauled out a Shop-Vac I had, a 4gal 5.5 hp, to the workshop (I use it when I roast coffee for the chaf). I always thought it did a decent job and it has like a 1 1/2" maybe hose.
I really didn't want to carry it back and forth from the wood shop to my roasting room so off to Home Depot. After looking at all of them it seemed the 12 gal, 6 hp would work and it was the one that came with the filter suitable for dust and I figured an extra 1/2 hp would be nice too.
I got the vac and an adapter for the fitting to the Dewalt's port since the hose was a lot bigger, 2 1/2". OMG, the difference is like night and day!

As the title says it is probably almost too much vacuum for the sander as I swear I think the increased suction is almost making the sander want to stick to the work piece. I bet it'll work great for the miter saw if I can find an adapter for the port. It's a 12" Metabo/Hitachi if anyone has one that knows the correct diameter port I would appreciate it. BillF

BillF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So I generally buy the best tool for a job I can afford at the time but this time I might have out-thought myself
I have an older dewalt orbital sander that is still pretty good but I got to thinking I could take the dust bag off and maybe hook up a vacuum. So I hauled out a Shop-Vac I had, a 4gal 5.5 hp, to the workshop (I use it when I roast coffee for the chaf). I always thought it did a decent job and it has like a 1 1/2" maybe hose.
I really didn't want to carry it back and forth from the wood shop to my roasting room so off to Home Depot. After looking at all of them it seemed the 12 gal, 6 hp would work and it was the one that came with the filter suitable for dust and I figured an extra 1/2 hp would be nice too.
I got the vac and an adapter for the fitting to the Dewalt's port since the hose was a lot bigger, 2 1/2". OMG, the difference is like night and day!

As the title says it is probably almost too much vacuum for the sander as I swear I think the increased suction is almost making the sander want to stick to the work piece. I bet it'll work great for the miter saw if I can find an adapter for the port. It's a 12" Metabo/Hitachi if anyone has one that knows the correct diameter port I would appreciate it. BillF
Do yourself a big favor and go back to HD and get the bag so go in the vac. Saves dealing with a filter with fine dust, just pull the bag and throw it away, filter is always clean.

And my Ridgid vac will occasionally cause the sander to stick to the work too.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Do yourself a big favor and go back to HD and get the bag so go in the vac. Saves dealing with a filter with fine dust, just pull the bag and throw it away, filter is always clean.

And my Ridgid vac will occasionally cause the sander to stick to the work too.

Thought you'd probably get a kick out of the fact I finally did finally go get the bags . Got tired of the filter loading up so quick sanding, even though I have a nice compressor. Thanks!

BillF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Many years ago I was sanding at a place that required that my sander be attached to a vac. At first I bristled, but after I discovered how much more efficient the sanding was, I have never sanded without the vac. The theory is that because the dust is being removed as itís created, the sander isnít re-grinding dust and works better and I believe this to be true. I wish I could find a better hose though. The one I have is kind of stiff making the sander more difficult to maneuver. If anyone has any suggestions, Iíd love to hear them.

I recently ďtest droveĒ a Festool sander with Festool vac and the vacuum did indeed hold the sander to the work. This seemed to make sanding easier since it wasnít necessary to press the sander against the workpiece, the vacuum did the work for you.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Festool HEPA Dust Extractors have a dial on the front that allow you to increase or decrease the amount of suction depending on the task at hand. For sanding the suction is turned down to allow for enough suction to remove sawdust without the sander getting sucked to the table. You can dial it in for the that perfect feel.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 12:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Best lightweight hose ever!

I have about 4 of these hoses and love them. The kit comes with adapters for all different size sanding ports or accessories. You won't need the sander portion unless you have a drywall project. Just use this lightweght and very flexible hose:
https://www.amazon.com/Hyde-Tools-09...0057488&sr=8-2

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Not so new

View 12penny's Photo Album My Photos
Appears to be pool hose. Have some old stuff but never thought to use it with the sanders. Cuts easily and the end fittings are available almost anywhere. Hmmm...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 09:07 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have four of these sanders but I do have one and I like it, and they are cheap. The screen will work on wood but I put regular sandpaper on it. It makes a great sanding block.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode