new (old) vintage craftsman lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
woody8127

View woody8127's Photo Album My Photos
new (old) vintage craftsman lathe

Hey all- Im new to this forum and new to wood turning. I just (today) bought a vintage craftsman lathe which needs some work. Once it gets warmer, Im going to take it all apart, and derust it and relube it, as well as get new bearings. Has anyone seen this type b4? I can easily ID the motor (craftsman 397.19821). Im sure the motor isnt original, but I dont know about the rest of it. This model has a swing out portion that includes the motor and set of pulley wheels that swings out with a rod. Does anyone have any familiarity with this? specific issues i need to be aware of? Best way to clean the rust (vinegar?, commercial cleaner?) , best grease/ lubricant? I found the motor as previously mentioned. A website lists the specific bearings ill need. I found number on ebay and then it said a C3 and SKF, as well as sealed and double sealed. Anyone with knowledge here is greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.

Last edited by woody8127; 12-31-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What's it look like?

This ?

Hopefullly NOT this:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 04:24 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Check you local business directories for a bearing shop. Nearly every city area has at least one. Those guys can take the old bearings and measure them and give you replacements, usually on the spot and often better and cheaper than the bearings on ebay.

I have found that many things on ebay are available cheaper from specialty businesses if you know where to look. 40 years ago, I needed front wheel bearings for an Italian motorcycle. Dealer wanted $32.00 and a six to 8 week wait to get the bearings in. I went down the road a few miles and got the exact same bearings at a bearing shop in five minutes for $3.00. Been going to bearing shops ever since. Just this past summer, a bearing for my New Holland Haybine was $47.00 from the ag dealer and $9.00 from the bearing shop. The bearing shop guys can also often give you a choice of better than OEM quality as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Try soaking the pieces in evaporust to remove the rust. I've not used it but heard good things about it.

Welcome to woodworking and wood turning. Caution, turning is addictive.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
woody8127

Youre the third person to mention evaporust. Im definitely gunna check it out. Btw im already addicted lmao!! funny thing is, I had straight A's in high school wood shop but never used their lathe. 35 yrs later...bltn!!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
woody8127

no, mine looks nothing like that. Yours is too clean! lmao!! I posted pics under my iD. U should be able to open them. Unfortunately, theyre all sideways even tho i had my camera (phone) stright up. I couldnt turn the pics. Im wondering if mine is even american. The guy I got it from said he got it as inheritance from his g father along with 5 truck loads of tools. I seriously doubt 5 loads would be brought from overseas. As of yet its too cold out so im gunna wait til its warmer to start getting off the main junk. Besides the motor model #, I havent been able to ID anything. There are numbers on the tail stock and tool rest but googling produced nothing. My base is abput twice your length. Frikkin thing is heavy!! Im gunna have a lathe base fabricated to handle this unless I can find two heavy steel leg ends to support it. This image (not my lathe) is the closest so far Ive found to what I have
post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
woody8127

Thats a good idea. Plus it gives local businesses your business ( and helps develop a relationship) instead of giving business to a faceless entitiy who probably got their stuff from China, not to mention you can bring down your piece and match on the spot :)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I am using evaporust now on some metal lathe stuff. I am piecing an Atlas metal lathe together and have a few jaw chucks and an Atlas XY table that need the rust removed. The chucks came out fine. I just started on the XY table.

I guess I would recommend it.

This is the result of using it on the chucks. It is impossible to determine if that is a good or a bad job without seeing a before image. These were some ratty chucks.

Last edited by subroc; 01-01-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode