New Mitre Sled - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

View bpajwhite's Photo Album My Photos
New Mitre Sled

So I have been meaning to post this for a while. I have been building a cabinet/drawers for my parents house. Much of the project needed accurate mitres and I have had bad experiences in the past cutting them on a chop saw. Since I just made a crosscut sled for the table saw I figured I would make a mitre sled. So here it is:

As with my crosscut sled, I used ¾” birch ply for the base, doug fir for all the parts on top, and red oak for the sled runners.

Here’s the underside:

Now that I had these two big sleds, I needed a place to keep them. I have a lumber rack system that I built, and on it, is a swing out section for holding sheet goods. I took a 2x4 and cut a rabate down the length of it. Then I attached it to the bottom front of the sheet storage unit. Both sleds and my auxiliary fence system, now sit nicely out of the way.

A couple of shop made toggles and they are held in place:

I finished the cabinet yesterday, so I will have to get that posted soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
nice detail work on the miter sled. what mechanism keeps it from sliding through the rear fence and exposing the operator to the blade?

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

toolguy,

There's no reason to ever push the sled far enough into the blade to have the blade come out of the back. All of the cutting is done up front at the apex of the 90 degree V. You can see in the pictures of the bottom, how far into the ply the blade travels. It'll never need to go further than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Nice looking sled. I am currently in the process of building a miter sled but it's not nearly as nice.
Tom
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
rear, front, back ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpajwhite View Post
toolguy,

There's no reason to ever push the sled far enough into the blade to have the blade come out of the back. All of the cutting is done up front at the apex of the 90 degree V. You can see in the pictures of the bottom, how far into the ply the blade travels. It'll never need to go further than that.
Very Nice sled! I like the way the stock angles away from the saw into the work area which allows longer pieces to be cut.

I assume this is the front, the operators view... the back has the saw kerf through it. The blade is still covered when the cut is complete, unless I have it bass ackwards...

the back;

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-23-2013 at 03:31 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
I like what you have done there..... and a place for them too
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
toolguy,

yes, i realize that. but on almost all the better sled plans i see, a stop is incorporated to prevent the accidental push through and the potential for contact with the blade. here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0692 - jpeg.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	66278  

Name:	100_0698.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	66279  

Name:	100_0699.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	66280  

Name:	100_0700.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	66281  

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Toolguy,

I like that. That's a good idea on a crosscut sled. On this mitre sled however, I think it would not serve any purpose as the sled will never travel anywhere near far enough for the blade to come out the back.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Woodnthings,

I think that we are looking at the sled differently. To me the front of the sled is the part that touches the blade first. The back is what I put my hands on. I guess I think of it more like driving a car and the front is the part furthest in front of me.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
woah ....

Quote:
Woodnthings,

I think that we are looking at the sled differently. To me the front of the sled is the part that touches the blade first. The back is what I put my hands on. I guess I think of it more like driving a car and the front is the part furthest in front of me.
If that's the case, the back of the sled is at the front of the saw.
If I stand in front of the saw, the part closest to me is the front, and furthest away is the rear, like the outfeed table is in the back or at the rear of the saw. Throwin' in the car analogy makes no sense to me... Oh well, I guess I've been doin' it wrong for 55 years....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-23-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode