New Member Building A New Shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Frye

post #1 of 5 Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
New Member Building A New Shop

Hello. I'm new here and a refugee from WoodOnline, which is closing next week. I was a host there for nearly ten years back in the 90s and on. I was also the forum administrator/moderator for the Ryobi Tool Forum before it was withdrawn. I am building a new shop in the basement of our new home. I had to pack up my old 12'x12' shop of 30 years in our old home. The new shop is also in the basement, but is 12'x22' this time. It will be laid out pretty much like the old one with a few changes to fix things from the old shop. Right now, I have the walls framed and am in the process of wiring the shop for power and lights. One of the big changes in the new shop is LED lighting. I am using 17 daylight "60 watt equivalent" (5000K) LED GE Bright Sticks arranged in three rows down the length of the shop with four 75 watt track mount floods on a separate switched line for color balancing during finishing. The middle LED row is centered in the 12' wide shop and the outer rows are 3' on either side, staggered from the center row. Spacing is such that if you draw a 4' diameter circle around each fixture, the circles will just touch each other. Two of the LEDs are positioned directly over the work bench at the end of the shop. The floods will cover the middle 3/4qtrs of the shop floor, but they are aim-able in a 360 degree horizontal circle and 90 degrees up and down. The ceiling of the shop is 7' from the floor. That's a gotcha you get with a basement shop. The LED light fixtures cost $4.50 each with the bulb. I found the LED bulbs on sale for $1.50 each. The 17 LED bulbs cover everything in the 12'x22' shop and there's no shadows no matter where I stand. The four 75 floods mute the daylight bulbs and provide a raking light for finishing. It will get better when the walls are painted CHB (Chicago Home Builders white), but that will be awhile. The cost was 1/3 of what seven LED tube lights would have been and a bit less than seven fluorescent fixtures would have been.
Toolman50 likes this.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-24-2016, 09:40 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here to this friendly WW forum, where there is always room for one more. Your intro reads as you are knowledgeable in the electrical facet too. IMO most shops do continue to change as needs, "toys", and projects require. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
New Shop Lighting Pictures

FWIW, I put some pictures of the new shop lighting in my gallery.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the fray ... I mean, the site, Jim.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2016, 12:22 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! Post photos often, we're looking forward to seeing what you build. From your gallery it looks like you do really nice work. The shop lights are going to be nice!

Our shop is our two-car garage, about 21'x21' but only about 75% of that is usable because of windows and fold down attic stairway but we put up 7 four lamp T-8 fixtures in three zones so I can control lighting for photography, videos, and finishing - kind of like what you've done.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode