New to a Jointer. Had blade break ;( - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

View Raybow's Photo Album My Photos
New to a Jointer. Had blade break ;(

Fellers this is my first post on this thread and I have found that all wood working craftsman share a passion about wood working. I have built and reserrected alot of my tools. Using a jointer I have no experiance to speek of. I have a vintage Sears/Craftsman 6" jointer that was in good shape but with some screws missing that hold the knives in place. I tore the jointer down. Installed new bearings, new belt, repositioned the motor and cleaned it up to look darn near brand new. I work with hardwoods with fiberglass and carbon laminated in pieces of many different kinds of hardwoods. This last Saturday I put the jointer to use. As I was triming and or cutting, of course wearing safety glass, one of the knives broke in half and was chunked under the jointer. I looked at what had just happened and rolled it back in the shop and said to myself that I will now only use my homemade thickness grinder. And it is a thickness grinder. So I need instruction on how to set it up, what knives to use, how to set the knives, and a possible reason of what might have happened to me so I will have a heads up in the future. I do realize the jointer is a very dangerous tool and needs that kind of respect. Thanx for all the help

Ray.......................Tx.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I too have an old Craftsman jointer. I cannot imagine one of the blades breaking in half unless the blade was defective.

How much bite were you taking at the time of the accident? I assume that both screws and the bar that holds the blades were tight.

George
post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybow View Post
...... jointer that was in good shape but with some screws missing that hold the knives in place. .....
That is an instant RED FLAG. I assume you replaced those??

Going on that assumption, if someone ran the joiner without those screws it could have damaged the blade(s). Lots of possibilities but that one jumps out at me.

I would toss all blades and replace them just in case. Blades are cheap. Make sure you install them properly. If you left out a screw or didn't tighten one that could do it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Ray,
Welcome to the forum.
I have never heard of anyone breaking a jointer blade. I have an older craftsmen jointer sitting in the shop that I bought new 30 years ago. The blades are fairly thick compared to the newer disposable ones. Something had to be amiss for that to happen. Even cutting what you are cutting shouldn't break a blade if you are taking small cuts. Maybe you could post a pic of the broken blade and also the cutter head where it was mounted.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

-Thanx yall for the help. I believe the blade broke when it hit the casting or what I would call the entering platforn. I took a very minimal bit as with hardwoods nothing is fast. One of the reasons I got the planner on a trade was because the carpenter couldn't find the right size screws to hold the blades in place. When I overhauled the planner I installed new screws. But the screws are a tapered head type of screw. That may be where I srewed up. Because there wouldn't as much surface area where the screws head would meet with the lock down metal pieces.???...I'll find different screws and buy new blades and try. I'll be the ' shakiest carpenter in the west' when I use that thing again. But I think the planner is a good tool when used wisely.

Ray.............
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
If you didn't put the proper screws back in I would say that was most likely the problem. I am betting it slung the knife out and hit something and that is why it broke.

What brand and size joiner is it? Might be able to help find what you need.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Its a Craftsman 6" built maybe in the 60's or 70's. I used the Button Head Screw and had to grind the edges for them to tighten down in the holes of the tapered metal piece that holds the blade in the metal cylinder. What I should have used is the Socket Head Cap Screw instead. Kudzu, your right. The blade when slung did hit the cast iron on the table. I'll find the correct screws and try it again. And with safety in mind will put it through a rough test. Its not fun when blades come apart. And this is probably my ignorance and John Deere inginuity at best.

Ray.............
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 AM

View John3697's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer knives

I replaced the blades on my Craftsman 5 1/2" jointer that I bought on Craigslist. I got the blades by going to Sears Direct on the web. Get the model number of your jointer and plug it into your search engine. It should give you a list of vendors that carry replacement knives for it as well as the Sears Direct website. My replacement set cost about 12.95 plus 7.00 shipping. I installed the new set, then ground a new edge on the ones I took out, so now I have a spare set. You may also want to order some OEM replacement screws from the same source.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode