new inspiration for shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

View hawkeyedan's Photo Album My Photos
new inspiration for shop

My wife and I were out of town visiting her family for Thanksgiving. With the number of people involved and not enough room in one house for everybody to sleep, we stayed/slept at her Grandmother's house. Her Grandfather's hobby was woodworking and was really good at it (alot better than I). He had passed away about 6 years ago, but this weekend was actually the first time I had gotten to see and spend time gazing around in his shop area. I was, and still am, surprised at the size of his shop, which is about 1/2-3/4's the size of my shop area with twice the number of power tools (my shop area is about 16'X12', plus the ability to walk through the door and use the 1-car garage, if need be). After looking around and studying his layout, I now have some new inspiration to re-organize my shop and imply some of his ideas that I would have never thought of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Totally cool. You gotta love it.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM

View Fishinbo's Photo Album My Photos
That's great news!
Inspiration at the least expected moment.
Keep inspired.

www.sawblade.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
EM3

View EM3's Photo Album My Photos
Care to share some of these ideas?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post
Care to share some of these ideas?
Pictures appreciated.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

View Fastback's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, pictures would be real nice.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
Is'nt there a rule here about going to a cool shop like that, boasting about it than not providing pics for all? . you'll have to share some pics with the ideas its given you when you get them implemented Dan.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

View hawkeyedan's Photo Album My Photos
I unfortunately don't have pictures of the stuff in his shop but will pass along some ideas. When I do have some of these implemented into my shop, I'll have to get some pictures posted.

The first is aerosol cans (paint, WD40, etc.) holders. The wife's grandfather took some PVC pipe that had a 2 1/2 inch inside diameter. From this, he cut the PVC into 1 1/2 inch rings. From these 1 1/2 inch rings, he then cut out about 2 1/2 inches cut out, so it basically was in the shape of the letter "C". With the side that had the 2 1/2 inches cut out facing you, he had ran a screw into the back of it and into the outside of a cabinet door (you can choose to put them in other spots that suit you). Now that the "C" shaped rings are mounted to something, all ya have to do is slide the aerosol can in and out as they get used.

Another is a homemade version of the roller stands that you can buy at hardware store. The base is 3/4 inch plywood cut to a 12"X12" square. This will be your base that sits on the floor. Then there was a 2X2 coming up 30" from the center of the base (this 30" can be changed, depending on your needs). A 2X4 cut into 2 pieces of 4" X 4" squares are cut diagnal into triagle which are used as supports for the 2X2 screwed to the plywood platform. With a 15" section of another 2X2, 13" is cut down to a 2" X 1" demension while leaving 2" at one end as 2"X2". In the 13" part of this, there is a slot cut. At this time, 2 bolts about 5" long are put into the 30" piece coming up from the base. Then the 15" piece goes on with the bolts going through the slots. Then put a washer and wing nut on each bolt. With the slot and wing nut, this 15" piece can then be adjusted higher/lower to the users desire. At the top of the 15" piece (which will be the 2" X 2" end), center and attach the 2" X 1" piece previously cut out of the 15" piece. A roller was purchased from a hardware store and attached to the 2" X 1" piece.

Again, I unfortunately don't have pics at this time, but as I get these ideas implemented, I'll get some taken and posted.

Last edited by hawkeyedan; 11-27-2012 at 10:38 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyedan View Post
I unfortunately don't have pictures of the stuff in his shop but will pass along some ideas. When I do have some of these implemented into my shop, I'll have to get some pictures posted.

The first is aerosol cans (paint, WD40, etc.) holders. The wife's grandfather took some PVC pipe that had a 2 1/2 inch inside diameter. From this, he cut the PVC into 1 1/2 inch rings. From these 1 1/2 inch rings, he then cut out about 2 1/2 inches cut out, so it basically was in the shape of the letter "C". With the side that had the 2 1/2 inches cut out facing you, he had ran a screw into the back of it and into the outside of a cabinet door (you can choose to put them in other spots that suit you). Now that the "C" shaped rings are mounted to something, all ya have to do is slide the aerosol can in and out as they get used.

Another is a homemade version of the roller stands that you can buy at hardware store. The base is 3/4 inch plywood cut to a 12"X12" square. This will be your base that sits on the floor. Then there was a 2X2 coming up 30" from the center of the base (this 30" can be changed, depending on your needs). A 2X4 cut into 2 pieces of 4" X 4" squares are cut diagnal into triagle which are used as supports for the 2X2 screwed to the plywood platform. With a 15" section of another 2X2, 13" is cut down to a 2" X 1" demension while leaving 2" at one end as 2"X2". In the 13" part of this, there is a slot cut. At this time, 2 bolts about 5" long are put into the 30" piece coming up from the base. Then the 15" piece goes on with the bolts going through the slots. Then put a washer and wing nut on each bolt. With the slot and wing nut, this 13" piece can then be adjusted higher/lower to the users desire. At the top of the 13" piece (which will be the 2" X 2" end), center and attach the 2" X 1" piece previously cut out of the 13" piece. A roller was purchased from a hardware store and attached to the 2" X 1" piece.

Again, I unfortunately don't have pics at this time, but as I get these ideas implemented, I'll get some taken and posted.
Yada, Yada, Yada, I'll wait for the pictures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode