New crosscut sled. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
New crosscut sled.

Just a little something I put together over a couple of weekends from some wood I had laying around.
MDF base with 2 bys for the front and rear fence. The runners are red oak, sanded and waxed.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...cutsled002.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...cutsled001.jpg

wayne

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Wayne - You might want to try resizing the pics so that they're larger. Kind of hard to make out currently.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
I can see it with my glasses.
It looks like it will work.
The problem I had with using wood for my rails was that the wood swells and contracts and makes it difficult to slide. I need to change mine to aluminum.

Did you say tool sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Love makin sawdust

View MinConst's Photo Album My Photos
How about that white plastic stuff, forget the name. The places I see it they charge a fortune for it. I'd like to use it instead of wood myself but the cost is ridicules.

Paul
Minichillo's Construction
Web One Man Shop
I will never leave you hanging!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
I read somewhere were you can use those cutting boards made out of a acrylic material for your runners. I have not tried this but it is an idea.

Bruce.

This is only my opinion others may think differently.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM

View KC7CN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
How about that white plastic stuff, forget the name. The places I see it they charge a fortune for it. I'd like to use it instead of wood myself but the cost is ridicules.
That's what I used on my last sled. I purchased it at a woodworking supply store, it was precut for use on a miter sled! Here's is my take on it from that experience with a single miter sled:

1) It is very flexible, and relies on a shallow dado in the sled to insure that it is straight and true.

2) The plastic miter bar was exactly the same width as my table saw miter slot -- the fit was too tight. I tried to sand the sides of the plastic bar, but this did not seem to work.

3) I drilled and tapped the miter track, and used flathead machine screws every 4-5 inches. If the screw were too tight, the sled would bind.

4) The solution to my problem was to run the plastic miter bar through my planner. I used a sled under the bar to keep it flat.

In conclusion, I think the material is stable, smooth, and could be used to make good miter bars, but not the way I did it.

The miter bar I do like is an all metal bar with ball bearing adjusters in one side. I purchased it from WoodCraft several years ago! Only problem is, they were only available in 18" lenth at that time; not really long enough for a large sled!

I used straight-grain Oak for the sled I made last month. It works good for the time being, time will tell!

-Don
post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM

View WMitch6's Photo Album My Photos
I think the white plastic you are talking about is UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyurethane), trade name Hifax. the stuff is widely used for bearing surfaces. It's a bear to sand and has a fairly high temperature coefficiant.

If you want to shape or size the stuff you'll have better luck machining or scraping.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyurethane),
I bought some and ended up not using it as there was too much slop side to side. I am getting ready to make another sled and thought I'd play around with drilling a countersink and seeing if I could get some material "raised up" on both sides of the material.

Never lick a steak knife.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM

View KC7CN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMitch6 View Post
I think the white plastic you are talking about is UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyurethane), trade name Hifax. the stuff is widely used for bearing surfaces. It's a bear to sand and has a fairly high temperature coefficiant.

If you want to shape or size the stuff you'll have better luck machining or scraping.
Yes, that's what I was using. It's not stiff like a hardwood.

-Don
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM

View simple simon's Photo Album My Photos
i have been using the white plastic strips on the last two i have made and as long as you use two miter slots then the slop was non existent. however when i went to a single slot and have sled, (one side of blade only) then the looseness in the slot was unacceptable.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-26-2008, 08:55 PM

View anjwoodworks's Photo Album My Photos
I made a sled for my table saw about like what you are talking about. It works great and it only took a evening to do it. It has saved me alot of time too. I made horizontal grooves on both sides of the centerline and made a stop block that I can secure with a carridge bolt for multiple cuts.

A.J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode