5Likes
  • 1 Post By dwcon1431
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By rogerh
  • 2 Post By EmRenk

post #1 of 5 Old 09-13-2020, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

View EmRenk's Photo Album My Photos
Need wood staining help!

I stained my first table, and it did not turn out well. I think it must have been my sanding job. I am unsure of how I can fix it or if I have to strip it and sand all over again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2020, 04:03 PM

View dwcon1431's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like you're going to have to resend and stain again. You won't have to go down to bare wood. Use different grits from 120 to 300 and clean with tack cloths. Stain in one direction with the grain. Once you have the first coat on, don't touch it again. Once it's dry, then see if you like the results.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
EmRenk likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwcon1431 For This Useful Post:
EmRenk (09-13-2020)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like you used a rag to wipe the stain off that wasn't absorbent. Much of the stain is left on the surface. You can wipe off the dried excess on the surface with lacquer thinner and then stain it again. After this length of time it may not be as dark as you need. It may take a darker stain for the second coat. Another option is you have the means of spraying to spray a coat of a dye stain to supplement the color. The dye stain you could use is transtint or Mohawk finishing products makes Ultra Penetrating Stain. It's an alcohol based aniline dye you can even use between the coats of the finish.
EmRenk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2020, 08:49 PM

View rogerh's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a cabinet I stained a few days ago. My problem was I used a damp cloth to wipe off dust after the final sanding. The moisture in the damp cloth raised the grain and wasn't obvious until I stained it. To correct it, I used my orbital sander and 120 sandpaper. The stain may build up on the sandpaper, so you will need more than one sheet. I finished the sanding with 220 sandpaper and then stained again. Turned out great.

Roger
EmRenk likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

View EmRenk's Photo Album My Photos

Everyoneís suggestions helped and I am very happy with the result!! Last coat of wood finish is on to protect it! Iíll have to get a picture with better lighting though!. This has been my first project like this. I got this table and chairs second hand and wanted to give them a makeover. Iíve been learning lots and only hope to get better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bernie_72 and rogerh like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode