Need vice advice. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

View berteebert's Photo Album My Photos
Need vice advice.

please. (=

I built a 4x5 work station. its very sturdy, I installed the rockler workbench casters (the kind that you push down to engage the wheels) this way I can have it wherever I want it in my shop while working.
the bench top is 1-1/2" maple top, I plan of plunging out dog holes once I figure out my vise setup

iv never owned nor really used a true wood working vise, iv gotten away with using my bench vise for years, but figured now with the addition of this workstation, it'd be nice to have a face/front and tail vise setup. that is where I start to get lost. I am by no means a professional so the best isn't something I need. that in mind, I don't mind getting something and spending the money on something nice.
im slightly confused on the metal jawed vises if you add in wooden jaws or that's how they are, as well as being able to use some of the vises with dog holes, I done see how some of the vises allow you to benefit from your dog holes in the workbench while others do allow you.

any help!? I have a feeling tho I am about to get jumped on by the search Nazi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Some woodworking vices have a tab on it you can raise up when wanting to clamp a bigger piece to the top of the table. The dog holes are just a place to put a pin to clamp against. On the inside of the jaws you screw a piece of wood to. This way you can clamp a piece of wood in the vice and not make clamp marks on the wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
berteebert (08-19-2015)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 AM

View roninrus1's Photo Album My Photos
Vice - hookers and Jack Daniels!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
metal or wood vices?

Woodworking vises come in several types, all metal all wood or a combination.

I use this, all metal type and have one at each side of the bench. This allows support for longer pieces that will fit in between or shorter ones in one end or the other. I don't have wooden jaw faces, although I know that I should. It is the easiest to install:

A true woodworking vise is usually made from all wood, a wooden threaded screw,wooden faces, and wooden slides. This type has been the standard for a few hundred years and you'll see them on older joiners benches from the past. That was the material at hand and it will also protect the sharp edge of a plane or chisel IF you happen to slip. Newer versions use a metal screw and has to be integrated in the bench design from the start:

There is also a combination of metal screws and slides and wooden jaws like this. It combines the strength of metal and the protection of large wood faces and it's fairly easy to install:

So, if your bench is already built you are probably limited to the first and last types. The first version, like Steve said has a sliding vertical dog that will hold thin pieces against a dog located behind it, a good feature. You can always add brass dowels or wood to any of the wooden jaws for the same purpose.

The purpose of a woodworking vise is to safely hold all sizes and thicknesses of material for drilling, chiseling and planing. There are leg vises and pattern maker's vises that will add even more features.

There are also shop made versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLy8BdyP4Q

My favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfs0oWRJ11c

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-19-2015 at 09:18 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (08-19-2015), berteebert (08-19-2015), MLP (08-19-2015)
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninrus1 View Post
Vice - hookers and Jack Daniels!!!
we are going to call that a my bad!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Some woodworking vices have a tab on it you can raise up when wanting to clamp a bigger piece to the top of the table. The dog holes are just a place to put a pin to clamp against. On the inside of the jaws you screw a piece of wood to. This way you can clamp a piece of wood in the vice and not make clamp marks on the wood.
thank you sir....
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Woodworking vises come in several types, all metal all wood or a combination.

I use this, all metal type and have one at each side of the bench. This allows support for longer pieces that will fit in between or shorter ones in one end or the other. I don't have wooden jaw faces, although I know that I should. It is the easiest to install:

A true woodworking vise is usually made from all wood, a wooden threaded screw,wooden faces, and wooden slides. This type has been the standard for a few hundred years and you'll see them on older joiners benches from the past. That was the material at hand and it will also protect the sharp edge of a plane or chisel IF you happen to slip. Newer versions use a metal screw and has to be integrated in the bench design from the start:

There is also a combination of metal screws and slides and wooden jaws like this. It combines the strength of metal and the protection of large wood faces and it's fairly easy to install:

So, if your bench is already built you are probably limited to the first and last types. The first version, like Steve said has a sliding vertical dog that will hold thin pieces against a dog located behind it, a good feature. You can always add brass dowels or wood to any of the wooden jaws for the same purpose.

The purpose of a woodworking vise is to safely hold all sizes and thicknesses of material for drilling, chiseling and planing. There are leg vises and pattern maker's vises that will add even more features.

There are also shop made versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLy8BdyP4Q

My favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfs0oWRJ11c
thank you for the write up, this helps a lot.
any brands to stay away from?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 AM

View roninrus1's Photo Album My Photos
berteebert
Sorry, knew what you meant but just couldn't help myself.
And sorry I'm really no help in the VISE department either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode