need specific hinges....any resource? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
need specific hinges....any resource?

I am looking for double acting spring hinges, in SOLID BRASS, that will accomodate 1 1/2" thick gates. I can find stainless steel and that is an option, but solid brass is preferred. 4" - 6" length is what will be needed for 1 1/2" thickness. All that I can find is either stainless steel, or solid steel with a coating(either brass or bronze coating). The stainless are, of course, shiny silver colored, and the coated steel ones are not for exterior use. Anybody know of a resource for these hinges in SOLID BRASS, FOR REAL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 12:38 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
http://theironmonger.net/polished-br...BoC83AQAvD_BwE

These are available in the UK.
johnep
post #3 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
http://theironmonger.net/polished-br...BoC83AQAvD_BwE
These are available in the UK.
johnep
They're NOT solid brass, John. Steel with brass FINISH. Not what I am looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwood_1 View Post
I am looking for double acting spring hinges, in SOLID BRASS, that will accomodate 1 1/2" thick gates. I can find stainless steel and that is an option, but solid brass is preferred. 4" - 6" length is what will be needed for 1 1/2" thickness. All that I can find is either stainless steel, or solid steel with a coating(either brass or bronze coating). The stainless are, of course, shiny silver colored, and the coated steel ones are not for exterior use. Anybody know of a resource for these hinges in SOLID BRASS, FOR REAL?
Hey Mark,

Let me know if this was what you had in mind?

Plain Solid Brass Screen Door Hinge With Button Tips...

I would also offer, after seeing your web page (beautiful work by the way!!!...I love Greene and Greene, and Gustav Stickley styles myself!!!) that casting and hand shaping brass is perhaps the simplest form of casting work one can get into. I think you would love the craft and art of it...

Regards,

j
post #5 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Jay, this is what I need: https://www.bommer.com/Parts/Default...%203029-Series

These customers put a lot of money into their house about 8 years ago, and the finish on their wood gates is trashed, so I am stripping them and refinishing with Heritage Exterior Oil Finish. The oil rubbed bronze hinges that were used rusted in several years and I need to replace them. In my experience here in the Pacific North West, they either have to be stainless steel or solid brass or bronze to hold up to the weather in the Willamette Valley. They really would like the oil-rubbed bronze or an antiqued brass look, rather than the shiny silver color of stainless steel. So far, I have spent 3-4 hours online searching, calling manufacturers, etc. but no luck yet.

And you are correct in thinking that I would like metal work. But there is only so much time in the day, and you have to make choices about what you are going to learn and when. My wife and I grow a lot of our year's produce. I am learning how to sew clothing. I have 2 hides dry and waiting to be tanned (and brains in the freezer for that). I volunteer at a local wildlife rehab center. And I am the chief cook in the house. It's hard enough to find time to actually do this 'work' thing at all. Metal work? It's been in the back of my mind for a long time, but low priority. Maybe in a couple of years.....
Tennessee Tim likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Jay, this is what I need: https://www.bommer.com/Parts/Default...%203029-Series

These customers put a lot of money into their house about 8 years ago, and the finish on their wood gates is trashed, so I am stripping them and refinishing with Heritage Exterior Oil Finish. The oil rubbed bronze hinges that were used rusted in several years and I need to replace them. In my experience here in the Pacific North West, they either have to be stainless steel or solid brass or bronze to hold up to the weather in the Willamette Valley. They really would like the oil-rubbed bronze or an antiqued brass look, rather than the shiny silver color of stainless steel. So far, I have spent 3-4 hours online searching, calling manufacturers, etc. but no luck yet.

And you are correct in thinking that I would like metal work. But there is only so much time in the day, and you have to make choices about what you are going to learn and when. My wife and I grow a lot of our year's produce. I am learning how to sew clothing. I have 2 hides dry and waiting to be tanned (and brains in the freezer for that). I volunteer at a local wildlife rehab center. And I am the chief cook in the house. It's hard enough to find time to actually do this 'work' thing at all. Metal work? It's been in the back of my mind for a long time, but low priority. Maybe in a couple of years.....
I dung through a bunch of old stuff, and it all pointed in the same direction..."make them"...or find antique/vintage and refurbish.

You probably already found the following yourself and I have seen them in the past at auction...They ain't cheep!!!...$$$$!!!!

Enormous Solid Brass Church Door

I would also point out that the springs can still go bad on these too...This isn't an easy fit. If you find some yourself (I'll keep looking) let me know your source if you don't mind sharing (by email) this is a tough order to fill...but look great and last forever if taken care of...

I found several very nice well plated Double Hinge in Brass and Bronze that look vintage...???...If your client will go for it?

They just sold a set near me at one of my vintage architecture dealers...Wish I had garbed them now...

>>>

On some of your other comments...

I make and/or tailor all my own cloths. Most of which is vintage like today's wool shirt that is over 100 years old. Glad to read you have like interest in craft and arts. I won't regale you on the passion of brain tanning!!! I teach at least (usually) one ILS course a year covering this and related subjects...Maybe we could meet at a "Rabbit Stick" some year, or one of the green woodworking gathers...

I'll keep looking if I think of another source for these hinges...

j

Last edited by 35015; 03-09-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 06:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
new old stock ....

Ebay has these, but unable to tell if they are solid brass, so contact seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Bom...0AAOSwpkFY5Z8~

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Not sure but I think you could find them at Van Dyke's Restorers.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Ebay has these, but unable to tell if they are solid brass, so contact seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Bom...0AAOSwpkFY5Z8~
Bommers are nice hinges but they are steel with a finish. I talked to them directly and they assured me that they are NOT intended for exterior use and if they were used in that way, the finish would break down and the hinges would rust.

Steve, Van Dyke's only has steel. I checked.

Currently, I have inquiries out to a handful of foundries to see if they can be custom made. We'll see if anyone will do it, and what kind of price range that would entail.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
On some of your other comments...
I make and/or tailor all my own cloths. Most of which is vintage like today's wool shirt that is over 100 years old. Glad to read you have like interest in craft and arts. I won't regale you on the passion of brain tanning!!! I teach at least (usually) one ILS course a year covering this and related subjects...Maybe we could meet at a "Rabbit Stick" some year, or one of the green woodworking gathers...

I'll keep looking if I think of another source for these hinges...
j
Thanks for the effort. Those church door hinges are WHOPPERS. Did you read the specs on them? Damn. But that's exactly the sort of thing we seek, although bronze might be preferable to brass. They do not want plated again.

I did Tom Brown's intro course years ago, before I ever heard of Rabbit Stick. I have a friend or two who have gone to Rabbit Stick, but I never have. I've probably brain tanned a dozen hides, mostly deer, one calf, and one sheep. I have a deer and an elk hide dried and waiting on me. The elk hide is so big it is rather intimidating. I make my woodstove fires with a bow drill, often. And I renest baby owls and hawks that get blown out of their nests in the Spring, high up in the fir trees. Life can be good if you participate in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmwood_1 For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (03-10-2018)
post #11 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:42 PM

Solid brass hinges don't really do that well. The metal is too soft is why you are having difficulty finding the hinges you want. I think what you need to search for is hinges rated for exterior use. You might talk to these people. There website is pretty bad. https://www.hingeoutlet.com/collecti...-action-hinges
post #12 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Solid brass hinges don't really do that well. The metal is too soft is why you are having difficulty finding the hinges you want. I think what you need to search for is hinges rated for exterior use. You might talk to these people. There website is pretty bad. https://www.hingeoutlet.com/collecti...-action-hinges
I checked with them. The hinges they offer are solid steel. There just isn't any plating that I have seen which withstands Oregon weather for more than a few seasons. Bronze would be preferable, but thick brass would work. The gates aren't super heavy or large.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Bommers are nice hinges but they are steel with a finish. I talked to them directly and they assured me that they are NOT intended for exterior use and if they were used in that way, the finish would break down and the hinges would rust.

Steve, Van Dyke's only has steel. I checked.

Currently, I have inquiries out to a handful of foundries to see if they can be custom made. We'll see if anyone will do it, and what kind of price range that would entail.
Let me know Mark, I have a friend I will be seeing in a few weeks who is about to do a few castings over the summer. Full bronze in this style I suspect is going to be prohibitively expensive...most like this are in my experience..

j
post #14 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

"Prohibitively expensive" is a subjective concept. I don't know how much they are willing to spend to get what they want. In the end, they may need to compromise, go with stainless steel or plated steel, but meanwhile, they want me to keep searching.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
What about getting the stainless pair and having them plated with brass? They'll have to nickel plate them first.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
mmwood_1 (03-10-2018)
post #16 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 PM
Former Member

Quote:
"Prohibitively expensive" is a subjective concept. I don't know how much they are willing to spend to get what they want. In the end, they may need to compromise, go with stainless steel or plated steel, but meanwhile, they want me to keep searching.
Agreed...maybe those church hinges would fill there need?
post #17 of 21 Old 03-09-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I checked with them. The hinges they offer are solid steel. There just isn't any plating that I have seen which withstands Oregon weather for more than a few seasons. Bronze would be preferable, but thick brass would work. The gates aren't super heavy or large.
I don't know if it's available in double action but a brass plated stainless steel hinge would be a lot better. It would have the hardness of steel, the rust resistance of stainless and the appearance of brass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
mmwood_1 (03-10-2018)
post #18 of 21 Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Leo & Steve,
I hadn't thought of that possibility. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-15-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Just an update for anyone who is interested. I talked to some people at a brass foundry and at a bronze foundry. The guy at the bronze foundry told me that you won't find double acting hinges of solid bronze because the metal is too soft to withstand the torque applied to it by the springs. As Steve had suggested. The guy at the brass foundry told me that they would do it out of solid brass and the cost would run between $4k - $8k. Whoa. No response from the several plating companies whom I contacted about plating over stainless steel. I think, after all this, that my customers will use the same plated hinges they had and just plan on replacing them every five years or so, after they start rusting. It was an interesting research project, anyway.
35015 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmwood_1 For This Useful Post:
35015 (03-15-2018)
post #20 of 21 Old 03-15-2018, 12:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Plating over stainless steel?

I don't think that's gonna happen. Most applications of SS are for it's anti-corrosive properties and left as such, untreated. There are some coatings you can apply to the brass plating to prevent corrosion, like clear epoxy or other sprayed on coatings. Routine maintenance would be far cheaper than the other alternatives.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode