Need some help with cabinet hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Noob

View seth@asaptek.net's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down Need some help with cabinet hinges

I've been a long time lurker here but never registered or posted. So thank you all for your content. I've gotten some good help from here in the past.

I've been looking everywhere for some things to help me fix a few issues in my new kitchen.

We got semi-custom cabinets from Elkay. I'm very happy with my purchase with the exception of a few issues. Personally the lady who designed the kitchen for us should have thought about these things before but it's too late now. We didn't find out about this stuff until after the cabinets were installed and doors put back on.

I installed everything. I'm competent enough to install everything but not experienced enough to have figured this out before countertops were templated and installed (granite).

I don't believe that the hinges that are on the cabinets are Blum but they look a lot like them. They are soft close hinges though. I have 2 problems. I'm going to try to explain the first one as best as I can.

1. The corner cabinet is right next to the range. There should have been a few inches (at least) between the corner cabinet and the range but it's too late now without spending a lot of money on new granite. I have the ability to open the door but not very wide - it hits the range. A hinge that fit the existing holes but did some funky geometry to open would allow this to open better. What I was thinking about was something similar to the hinges that rev-a-shelf uses for the panel under the sink. They make a unit that allows you to use the dummy panel right below the sink (like a drawer that doesn't open) that has little trays to hold scrubbies or brushes etc. The hinge doesn't open the door at a 90 degree swing. It allows the bottom to come up and pivot.

If there was a slow close hinge like this that allowed the door to shift left while opening it I would be able to get a lot more clearance out of that door and actually use that corner cabinet. I don't have the range installed right now but here is a photo of that cabinet so you can see what I'm talking about:

the door hinges are on the right obviously - and if I switched the hinges to the other side, the door wouldn't open at all.

Does anyone know of a hinge like this? I wouldn't be opposed to doing something drastic to make this work better. Even if a different hinge went somewhere else and I had holes in the door. We have this huge corner cabinet that will hold a ton of stuff, but without being able to open the door any further than we can now it's kind of a waste.

2. I'm not going to attach a photo for this one. But I've been trying to find a limiting slow close hinge for an upper cabinet that is 12" deep and 42" tall that is right next to a cabinet over the fridge that is 24" deep and 24" tall. The current hinge will allow the door to open too wide and hit the cabinet next to it. I see where Blum makes some that restrict the opening range but nothing that looked like it was 90 degrees and slow close.

Any help anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at the posted picture, this would have been a good place for a revolving corner cabinet where the entire door moves inside the cabinet. As youíve stated, maybe too late for that now.
Anything you do now will most likely involve more expense, more work and possibly a professional.
Hereís my suggestion. Remove the door and the vertical frame it is now attached to. Cut and install a new stile approximately 2 1/4Ē wider than the original. Order a new matching door to fit the new smaller opening. I think this narrower door will give you more clearance against your stove.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's pretty much cabinet 101 to put 3" space out from a corner before making a door opening. The person designing the cabinets should have known that. Had it been a 90 degree corner the drawers on each side wouldn't pass each other without the 3" space. When you design a kitchen you have to allow for things like that.

A hinge won't help your cause. What you need to do is have two doors made to fit the opening and make them bi-fold doors. You could also hinge both doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2017, 09:01 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Regarding my original post, there is an easier if sloppier way of adding width to the vertical stile on the right. You could just add 2 1/4” to the existing stile by glueing and screwing a new board on.
You will still need to replace the existing door with a new narrower door.
This will be much easier than tearing out the existing stile.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Last edited by Steve Neul; 10-28-2017 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 AM
MLP

View MLP's Photo Album My Photos
I had a very similar issue in my kitchen, and I just hate corner lazy-susan style cabinets.
What I did was build a 24" deep x 11" wide drawer-style cabinet that pulls out, using the same door. Storage space actually increased.

MLP
Lemont, IL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode