Need some design help: mudroom bench - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 06-02-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

View st.ryder64's Photo Album My Photos
Need some design help: mudroom bench

Okay, we're about ready to start our mudroom renovation project and I've got an idea how I want to do the wrap-around bench it will require. I've attached a VERY crudely drawn pic of the basic concept. Be nice...I'm a fair 2D draftsman and can bang out some decent isometric stuff as well, but drawing an isometric view of a curved object is well beyond my abilities. This was only to give you an picture of where I'm going.

My question: I'll probably make the support pieces out of glued-up plywood. Obviously, all the supports will be the same size and shape as long as you're staying in the same plane, but does anyone know how I can calculate the shape where the two planes intersect in the middle? Any support piece near that corner will have to be a different shape because it will be rotated 45 degrees.

I guess another way to look at this question is to ask how I should calculate the length and cut angle of the horizontal pieces so they'll intersect perfectly at the middle corner?

I suppose I could just build one side of the bench, leaving all the horizontal pieces long and then use a flexible straight edge to snap a line at 45 degrees. Then use the resulting edge to determine the shape of the support plywood underneath it. Best choice?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mudroom_bench.pdf (17.8 KB, 57 views)

David
Cleveland, OH
Woodworking newbie
(but I've got a wife who lets me buy any tool I want!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Ryder
I would triple (3layers of ply) the center support. I would overlay the top boards centered on the middle of the 3 supports. I would start in the corner and work out rather than working into the corner with the plan to cut to fit later.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode