Need recommendation for wooden clamps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
Need recommendation for wooden clamps

I have several HEMPE large wooden clamps but the handles on some have disconnected/breaked from the threaded bars. To make these broken clamps useful I have had to weld them back on but they often break again, or remove the wooden handles and use vicegrips on the bar which is what I am doing now. Anyone have recommendations for other such clamps that will not break like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2016, 09:24 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Bar clamps made from 3/4" pipe are hard to beat. Very strong, versatile and trouble free.
You can buy the clamp ends from most good tool outlets, then you supply the threaded pipe of any length you want.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks ,Toolman. I have quite a few bar clamps. The wooden clamps are for less thick projects. Trying to find durable 10" to 12" wooden clamps whose handles do not break off from the threaded bars, i.e., which brand names have been durable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2016, 10:19 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have several. At least 2 or 3 were bought from Harbor freight. Some were probably bought from Sears. I have had no problems with any of them.

You might drill a hole in the end of the threaded rod and insert a straight rod 2 or 3 inches long.

George
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2016, 01:36 AM

View Popsnsons's Photo Album My Photos
I have a pair from Harbor Freight that I've tightened down many times with no problems. I know the Harbor Freight topic comes up often; should I or shouldn't I. But their clamp are priced right and work well. I stay away from the bar clamp with the trigger handle. Those do not tighten down well. The wood clamps that you are looking for should be fine.

Pops ~ In So Cal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode