In Need Of A Plunge Router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

View AzViper's Photo Album My Photos
In Need Of A Plunge Router

First time poster here... I have been using a Dewalt DW625 plunge router. Although it’s not mine it appears to do the job I have been using it for. I build custom poker tables and now I want to buy my own plunge router. Although I have not had any problems with the DW625 I understand that the accessories for the DW625 are not interchangeable with other routers. I use a jig and typically cut out 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood at a time usually making 4 passes to get through both sheets.

So what would everyone recommended for a router in quality, ease of use, dependability, attachments, etc.

Last edited by AzViper; 04-17-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 PM

View Burt's Photo Album My Photos
I like the Bosch 1617Kit. Suggest the Deluxe Edge guide and Dust Hood kit, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burt For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-17-2011)
post #3 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
First time poster here... I have been using a Dewalt DW625 plunge router. Although itís not mine it appears to do the job I have been using it for. I build custom poker tables and now I want to buy my own plunge router. Although I have not had any problems with the DW625 I understand that the accessories for the DW625 are not interchangeable with other routers. I use a jig and typically cut out 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood at a time usually making 4 passes to get through both sheets.

So what would everyone recommended for a router in quality, ease of use, dependability, attachments, etc.
Hi Viper - Depends on what accessories you're talking about; edge guide, maybe maybe not, guide bushings probably. Thing is you seem to be used to a big dog router so I'm thinking you might think any of the 2 hp stuff will seem underpowered to you and most of the big stuff goes for around $300+. Might take a hard look at the Triton TRA001. I think WoodCraft has them for around $290. Nice thing about the Triton is it has built in lift capability if you ever want to put it in a table.
What kind of jig are you using? If you are guiding off the baseplate of the 625 you will either need another 625 or build a new jig.
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

This is the current setup I am using,

post #5 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Well the jigs are now laminated MDF,

post #6 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

post #7 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Finished table,

post #8 of 16 Old 04-17-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Viper - Depends on what accessories you're talking about; edge guide, maybe maybe not, guide bushings probably. Thing is you seem to be used to a big dog router so I'm thinking you might think any of the 2 hp stuff will seem underpowered to you and most of the big stuff goes for around $300+. Might take a hard look at the Triton TRA001. I think WoodCraft has them for around $290. Nice thing about the Triton is it has built in lift capability if you ever want to put it in a table.
What kind of jig are you using? If you are guiding off the baseplate of the 625 you will either need another 625 or build a new jig.
Hope this helps
I was thinking of the Triton TRA001/TRC001 3-1/4-Horsepower Precision Router as Amazon has it for $229.00 with free shipping... Is the baseplate designed so bushing can be used?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
John

Quote:
I was thinking of the Triton TRA001/TRC001 3-1/4-Horsepower Precision Router as Amazon has it for $229.00 with free shipping... Is the baseplate designed so bushing can be used?
Hi - Looks like Triton uses a different attachment method than the PC type:
http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TGA001-Router-Template-TRA001/dp/B0000950Q5/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1303095609&sr=1-2
At that price I certainly wouldn't let that be a show stopper though. Base plates are fairly easy to make and universal plates compatible with the PC bushing system are easy to come by, almost any woodworking vendor.

Nice looking table and I like your template approach.

Last edited by jschaben; 04-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi - Looks like Triton uses a different attachment method than the PC type:
Amazon.com: Triton TGA001 Router Template Guide Kit for TRA001: Home Improvement

At that price I certainly wouldn't let that be a show stopper though. Base plates are fairly easy to make and universal plates compatible with the PC bushing system are easy to come by, almost any woodworking vendor.

Nice looking table and I like your template approach.
The templates are heavy but the edges have all been laminated. With each new build if the customer request a different size table then new jigs need to be made. Its now to the point where I have about all the sizes someone can ask for. Prior to posting I had been leaning in the direction of the Triton... Thanks for your help John... I am going to hang out in this forum looks to be intersting... Keith
post #11 of 16 Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 AM
John

Quote:
The templates are heavy but the edges have all been laminated. With each new build if the customer request a different size table then new jigs need to be made. Its now to the point where I have about all the sizes someone can ask for. Prior to posting I had been leaning in the direction of the Triton... Thanks for your help John... I am going to hang out in this forum looks to be intersting... Keith
Another router you may look at is the Freud 3000. It's been discontinued but I think, as Freud offered a 5 year warranty on them new, they are committed to parts and service support at least that long. I picked one up for $199 during Woodcraft Thanksgiving sales and it's a great router and it does take the PC style bushings. Don't know what they are going for though..... $229 for the Triton is awfully tempting but I don't think I can convince LOML I need an eighth router.

Last edited by jschaben; 04-18-2011 at 12:30 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 PM

View mossyoak's Photo Album My Photos
I am very pleased with my triton so far. I picked it up for $199 from somerfield with free shipping a while ago.. If you are willing to wait, I am sure they will go on sale again..

p.s. nice table
post #13 of 16 Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Well after lots of reading and leaning one then back the other way I have decided to buy a Bosch Model MRC23EVSK if I can locate one at a good price. The 3 inch plunge range and quailty of Bosch is what made me go this direction. It was a real toss up between the Triton and Bosch. All the Triton reviews seem to be old and nothing updated that I could find. It appears there was some issues early on after the release and I would think these issues would have been addressed in the last 6 years. Maybe there are newer reviews just could not find any... Now the search is on to located this new router...
post #14 of 16 Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
John

Quote:
Well after lots of reading and leaning one then back the other way I have decided to buy a Bosch Model MRC23EVSK if I can locate one at a good price. The 3 inch plunge range and quailty of Bosch is what made me go this direction. It was a real toss up between the Triton and Bosch. All the Triton reviews seem to be old and nothing updated that I could find. It appears there was some issues early on after the release and I would think these issues would have been addressed in the last 6 years. Maybe there are newer reviews just could not find any... Now the search is on to located this new router...
Hi - It's true, several years ago the early Tritons used a plastic gear in the height adjusting mechanism which liked to fail, especially in the table mode. That has been changed to metal and the problem resolved. Then, late last year, they went into recievership (Aussie company) but were purchased by a Swiss conglomerate and are now back up and running. Pretty strongly I might add. I took a chance on their sliding miter saw and it has been a pretty good deal.
As far as the Bosch goes, brand new model, and, from what I have heard have had some start up issues and the launch was delayed. I haven't actually found any for sale yet. The MSRP is to be $325 and as the latest/greatest, I wouldn't expect to find it discounted very much.
Just some observations
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
knotscott (04-19-2011)
post #15 of 16 Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Well after messing around with the Bosch 1617 I was not overly impressed. If the newer Bosch is anything like the 1617 I would not want it. I am just going to take the plunge and go with the Triton.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Went down to our local woodworking shop to take a look at the Triton 3-1/4HP plunge router. Although it has a bunch of nice features itís not for me. Way to much plastic and it just felt cheap to meÖ I ended up buying a Makita RP2301FC 3-1/4HP plunge router as it fits my needs. The router has 2-3/4Ē plunge depth, LEDís, power switch in the handle and the Makita quality I have grown up with in over 30 years of using their tools. It just felt right and the price was right $235.00Ö

With how I use jigs and cuting through 2 sheets of 3/4" at a time I needed the depth that this router gives me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode